Slothful dirt hippie

Gizmos to hold cables behind the seat tube?

So the rear cables were flaring out into the backs of my legs when the suspension was compressed. IRRITATING. I read through some threads on here and saw some folks using various solutions.

So far I'm on my second iteration of 'weaving strips of old inner tube'. Someone mentioned a 'dogbone' shaped cable guide thingamajig, but for the life of me google hasn't surrendered a source. If all else fails I'll either use a velcro computer cable strap or maybe even attempt yet another 'creative' solution with some rubber gaskets, zip tie, and some shrink wrap.

Anyone got a better idea?
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

aka übermensch
    I've tried various solutions- From the piece of tube that was cut and had the cables routed through from the LBS that built my bike, to a Lizard Skin headset seal, to an old Lizard Skin that was cut and had the velcro sewn in a different location, to zip ties...etc.

I just ran new cables, and am trying another idea. Currently, the brake cable has conformed to a shape that does not flare out when the suspension compresses. I'm thinking this had to do with how close and how tight the brake and derailleur cable were being held by the head set seal. On the derailleur cable, I'm using one of these. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ose+Guide.aspx. I have it placed on the seat tube, after the curve of the housing.

I had my first ride on it today, and did not have any problems out of it. It fits loose enough to allow movement of the derailleur housing during suspension movement. If you're interested, I could post a pic.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

Slothful dirt hippie
    Post away- any ideas are welcome!

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009

Jagwire housing holder and bridge

Got one of these after I saw it used on the bike I demo'd. Works pretty well, hasn't come off after a season of riding. Jagwire part on Tree Fort Bikes

aka dan51
    I mounted something to the front of the seat tube, then ran separate zip ties to each cable. I can individually adjust how tight each cable is held to the frame. I've had this in place for about a year with no problems. Each side requires 2 zip ties. Should be explanatory in the pics.

I used something similar to what Triple T did, but found the self adhesive sucked and came undone after about 2 rides. So I threw on a patch of protective tape, the glued the cable guide to the protective tape. The glue has come undone once in the last year, so I just added a little more and it's been fine since.

I tried the tube tie thing behind the seat, but wasn't a fan of it.
    Gizmos to hold cables behind the seat tube?-img_7376.jpg

Gizmos to hold cables behind the seat tube?-img_7379.jpg

Gizmos to hold cables behind the seat tube?-img_7380.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnzj
    Got one of these after I saw it used on the bike I demo'd. Works pretty well, hasn't come off after a season of riding. Jagwire part on Tree Fort Bikes
    That thing looks pretty sweet. I'd give that a shot if I hadn't already rigged something up.

mtbr member
    Just cut and tie a rubber band - easy, simple, and it does not hurt the frame or cables. when it breaks - repeat

No dabs.
    Check out Lopes' Mojo SL cable routing on this page: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Ibis-2009.html

Not sure how he's holding it in there, but it's similar to dan51's. I think dan's is a good idea. I'm tired of pulling up the inner tube piece and hearing the rear tire "zzzzip" on it and the cables during a drop landing.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Man am I glad to see someone else's Mojo that gummed up, lol! I spent at least a half hour getting central Wa clay worked out of the linkages on Saturday. You KNOW it's bad when you've so much goo (almost an inch) caked on to the bottom of your shoes that not even the Time pedals work any more and you resort to a whole lot of rock-and-finger scraping to get them connected again. And let's not even talk about hand-scraping out the swingarm/rear tire so it would roll again...

The Jagwire bit seems like just the ticket. Thanks for the link to TreeFort, will probably be making an order tonight.

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    I had something very similar to the jagwire made by Giant. I used it for quite awhile before I notice it started to crimp my hydraulic brake cable from the rear tire compressions. So I wouldn't recommend it.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo SD
    Check out Lopes' Mojo SL cable routing on this page: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Ibis-2009.html

Not sure how he's holding it in there, but it's similar to dan51's. I think dan's is a good idea. I'm tired of pulling up the inner tube piece and hearing the rear tire "zzzzip" on it and the cables during a drop landing.
    That's where I originally got the idea. I tried just tying them together in front of the seat tube like Lopes has. There are few things about that method that I didn't like, so I slightly modified it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    Just cut and tie a rubber band - easy, simple, and it does not hurt the frame or cables. when it breaks - repeat
    This is what I did with a thick black rubber band, it works great.

Rides a Bike
    I use a bit of framewrap, laid flat across between derailleur and brake cable lines.
    also used cable ties in much the same way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gizmos to hold cables behind the seat tube?-img_0176.jpg  

Gizmos to hold cables behind the seat tube?-img_0169.jpg  

Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

aka übermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnzj
    Damn, I like that. I was trying to figure out a way of constructing something along those lines. But never could figure out a good way to do it.

I've never seen that before. Guess I should have just posted a question here on the forum. D'oh.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL

aka übermensch
    Here's a pic of a previous solution I was using:

And this is what I'm currently trying out:

If this doesn't work out, I'll pick up one of those parts that mtnzj linked to.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL

Slothful dirt hippie
    Just an update on this... the Jagwire dogbone looked cool but kept popping off at annoying times and only lasted a couple months. Hit the bottom of a gravity bowl one day a little hard- "ZZZZTTT!"- and it was broken.

Used a couple pink-and-purple rubber bands as a temporary fix that finally broke on a ride this weekend. I have a couple other ideas, but so far Dan51's fix seems like the best long term solution.

Proud lame eBiker
    I've just been double-ing up a layer of electrical tape between the two housing behind the seat tube. Allows some flex, and doesn't scratch the seat tube when it hits. It lasts about 6+ months, after that just change it up.
    Heck, you can even get tape in colors to pimp your ride even more. ;-)
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Church of the Wheel
    I had been using a velcro cable tie - the kind for holding computer cables in neat bundles - until I saw the Jagwire thingadoodle several months ago. It came in a 2 pack, and not having a second bike to use the second one on, I just put them both on my Mojo. Works like a charm, and they don't slip down like the velcro doohicky used to. I'm very satisfied and would recommend these to others. Set and forget. Perfect.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    I used a zip tie for a while, but the "zzzz" sound of the tire hitting it got annoying. I cut it off, and the cables have stayed in the same position without anything holding them in place! So basically you just need to "train" your cables for a few weeks.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i've never had anything holding my cables and they seem to stay just fine. of course they rubbed right through the shitty white paint at the seat post clamp area but that's a different frustration.

bike rider
    If that section of housing is the absolute minimum length it shouldn't hit your legs. In most of the pictures I'm seeing a couple mm could be removed from the housing.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not sure what you guys are finding so difficult about this.

Rear der outer cable just run short so theres just enough when rear's uncompressed and shape the housing so it arches vertically. Put some frametape where the cables going to rub to keep it pretty!

Rear disc cable just do the same, run it short as possible! Simples....