mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Get rid of SL and a DH bike for a HDR?

I have a Mojo SL that I got 2 years ago and have always thought that it is not quite enough bike for me on some of my aggressive days.

I have a GT Ruckus 7 for my chairlift days Boxxer fork and 180 travel rear with a fairly heavy build. When I am riding the chairlift I tend to stick to flowy jump & berm trails so the big bike seems like too much bike.

I am thinking about building up a HDR 160 for a do it all bike and getting rid of both of my bikes. Unfortunately the local ibis dealer only has a HD140 as a demo so I cant really test out my 1 bike idea. Will this work as a do it all?
    Last edited by MysticFalcon; 06-20-2013 at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I tried the 160 HD as a do it all bike. It's great for smooth jump trails (Silverstar) and probably better than a DH bike at some parks. With that said I found it was overwhelmed on really steep/gnarly trails, you can ride them you just can't smash them like a DH bike can. I also found myself replacing components on a regular basis. At the end of the day it's a compromise.

I still have my HD and love it but last year I bought a Norco Aurum for DH and have never looked back.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Running a HD with a Talas 140/180 fork gets you very close. I found that it was a really good XC/AM bike in the 140 mode and was a lot of fun in 180 mode for freeride.

Unfortunately the rear was a little overwhelmed for freeride with the RP23 shock. If you upgraded to a CCDB Air it would give the bike better freeride ability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalcon View Post
    I have a Mojo SL that I got 2 years ago and have always thought that it is not quite enough bike for me on some of my aggressive days.

I have a GT Ruckus 7 for my chairlift days Boxxer fork and 180 travel rear with a fairly heavy build. When I am riding the chairlift I tend to stick to flowy jump & berm trails so the big bike seems like too much bike.

I am thinking about building up a HDR 160 for a do it all bike and getting rid of both of my bikes. Unfortunately the local ibis dealer only has a HD140 as a demo so I cant really test out my 1 bike idea. Will this work as a do it all?
    The GT is paid for so keep it and replace the SL with a HD/HDR.

If you find after a year the HD/HDR is enough sell the GT. You might find the GT is worth keeping.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Flow and jump trails yes. Full out DH race courses probably not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The GT is paid for so keep it and replace the SL with a HD/HDR.

If you find after a year the HD/HDR is enough sell the GT. You might find the GT is worth keeping.
    If only money grew on trees. Im hoping to fund the new bike by selling off the old ones. The Mrs. is not a fan of me spending any more money on bikes than I already have.

Ive really been avoiding the DH race course like trails following a couple ACL tears. My knees just don't appreciate that type of abuse

Mtb Guide
    To be fair dont think youd get allot for the GT to benefit roi, keep it like others said.

Not disagreeing with others on this but DH is about styles not just bikes, if you plow then HD kitted out properly might struggle a bit, I wouldn't want to ride it like that, if you setup suspension with coil front n rear and on the hardish side of spring rate you can skip pop your way down on any bike, does require more advanced skill and ball sack, its a state lf mind, most people DHing I ride with dont plow anymore, why I struggle with the whole obsession with roll over speed.

For what you describe as what you do on the GT, I could see the HD with XFusion Vengeance front n Rear coils or CCDBc, Vivid etc killing the GT on those jumps and bermed trails, even adding a works components angleset to slacken her out, but this would detract from the riding you did on your SL.

You could have 2 kits forks shocks wheels, more hassle will the wife allow it, only you can say lol!

I would happily take mine in 140 mode on trails like that, I do now, braking bumps hurt me though @ 140, no worries about the HD frame though, I hate braking bumps.

I hope to hit the Qtown Gondola this summer on my HD @ 160, lots of what you describe, though I will be staying off Dream track, probably hit Mini Dream track though and Wynyard, Zoot, bit of Rude rock, Dirt Park some decent stuff.

Have you seen this, I know we all cant ride like, Brian, but this sold me on the HD.

I sold an awesome DH bike awhile back for my updated DH bike and regretted it ever since mainly because I basically gave it away with top specc, plus I don't get out on the DH as much anymore so my roi was not good lol.

Plus I spend all my fun time on the HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well my thought is I paid almost nothing for it and selling that and the SL frame will buy me a HDR frame and a few added goodies. My SL already has a Vengeance fork on it, I will just have to change the travel back up.

Most of what I ride on a chair lift is stuff like this youtube video And other video and the off chairlift stuff I feel like the SL isnt enough bike for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was in the exact same position at this time last year. I had a 951 and an SL (and and HD... Put that aside for now). I ended up selling the 951 and the SL and built up a FR HD with a 170 Lyrik RC2DH and CCDB coil. I couldn't be happier with it. What others have said is true. It's not a true DH substitute. I'm semi local to you so for example, Threshold would be pushing the limits but Hellion, Happy Hour, Cat's Paw, Shaleighla(sp?)... It absolutely slays and I wouldn't even think about going back to a DH bike. The HD is way more nimble and easier to control in the air (flickable I guess). I also own a 140 but you can easily swap park and trail builds between 140 and 160 or just ride the 160 full time.

mtbr member

Get rid of SL and a DH bike for a HDR?

Interesting topic... I have an SL and a transition blindside. I've already "downsized" from an intense M1 to the transition - I don't race, only ride DH for fun, so the idea of a single, stiffer all around bike is interesting - but I don't really want to add weight on the xc side from the SL (mine is around 27lb just now so not particularly light).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Nice to hear a local thats done the same thing. I usually ride at Burke but when I go down to Highland it is usually to spend the day on hellion and Cats Paw.
    I have a 28lb SL that has a fairly sturdy build so it is not exactly light despite the 1X10 X0 build.
    Now I just need to schedule things so that I can sell the GT and the SL frame the day that the HDR frame comes in.

I'm more of a dog person
    I did this same principle last year. Had a 5 Spot and DHR. Found myself hardly riding the DHR so I sold both to fund a Ripley. So far I don't miss either bike.
    PS I spent a full day last year at Burke on a hardtail 29er (Paradox) and didn't feel I needed anything more. Granted I spent most of my time on Jester but for that place you don't need a full DH bike. The HDR would probably be awesome for the riding it sounds like you do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Will the HDR work as a do it all bike? It seems like that's the intended purpose isn't it? I ride a DW 5-spot now as a do it all bike (all day rides, short rides, occasional lift days) and it seems to me that the HDR has a wider range of it do-it-all-ness with more aggro geometry and ligher weight.

I just guesstimated the numbers for a configuration with the following assumptions:
    - Use of a 7.875x2.25 shock, rather than the stock 7.875x2.00
    - I already have a 26" burlier wheelset
    - I already have an almost new 2007 170mm 66 sitting around
    - Little interest in owning two rear shocks for one frame
    - That I could buy frame w/o shock

and:
    +10mm of fork travel = +0.1"bb & +0.5 deg HA

Everyday riding config.
    HDR 650b 130mm with 7.875x2.25 shimmed to 2.00, 150mm fork (sweep or pike)
    13.6"BB, 66.6 deg HA

DH riding config.
    HDR 650b ~150mm with 7.875x2.25 unshimmed, 26" wheels, 170mm fork
    13.4" BB, 66.1 deg HA

Any comments on this hypothetical? Is it crazy to think I'd pop open the air can to remove a shim while swapping wheels and fork for DH days?

mtbr member
    Well I will give you my experiences on the HD replacing 2 bikes in my quiver... (obviously this can directly relate to the HDR, possibly moreso given its even greater versatility).

My HD replaced (eventually) my trail bike (Intense 5.5) and DH bike (Nicolai Helius ST with CCDB, and 200mm Kowa forks - photo here or see sig). Before I got rid of my DH bike I rode both it and my HD back to back at Thredbo (in OZ), one of the roughest competition DH tracks around, so I am told. My HD was equipped with 160mm RS Vivid 5.1 coil + Marz 66RC2X 170mm (coil) forks (pic of setup - I normally run it 150F/140R though).

Regarding the differences between the Nicolai and the Ibis for DH... well, as expected they were fairly significant particularly at a rough Thredbo. The amount of travel, weight, geo and suspension differences made sure of that. The Nicolai was no doubt faster, and a fair bit easier to ride through the gnar *BUT* i wasn't racing, just doing lifts for fun with mates. Was the Nicolai more fun than the Ibis?

Apart from carrying less speed (which, yes, normally is less fun...) the HD was definitely more involving! I had to adjust my riding from plowing on the Nicolai to popping and flowing on the HD. This really pushed my limits physically as well as mentally, which was a great challenge. I still believe for the most part, outside of racing, on flowy, jumpy trails the HD gives little away to a DH bike when built properly. Its the fast rough or super steep stuff where the HD starts to reach its limits in comparison to a true DH bike, but that is to be expected really.

At the end of the day we all would love 1 bike for every discipline of riding (and one extra for the cross-over areas too, eh?) but for a lot of us its just not practicable. I live in the ever expensive Sydney, in a small one bedroom house. Space is of a premium so my quiver unfortunately has to reflect that.

For me, the Ibis HD with two forks and two shocks is utterly perfect for my needs. Better than any trail bike I've ridden in its 150F/140R guise, and very capable in 170F/160R guise if and when I want to do a bit more extreme riding (which is getting more and more rare nowadays).

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well thanks for the input everyone. The HDR Frame will be here mid July. Now I just need to sell off some bikes between now and then.

mountain biker
    congrats! given you're a North East rider, I would just keep the DH bike. If ever you get the urge to ride other places around here (Platty, Whiteface, Bromont) etc... you're going to be putting that poor HDR through it's paces.

Just tell the wife you can't find a buyer for the DH bike!

I have an HD and a DH bike (a Demo). I've run the HD on some of our DH trails that I am very familiar with. I wound up with dead rims and shredded tires. Perhaps it's because I know the lines and once I'm out there I don't want to reel it back in, but riding full gas in rough terrain on the HD dressed up in trail-riding gear isn't gentle on the bike. I won't be doing it too often, and I certainly don't consider my HD to be a DH bike. It can be ridden on DH trails quite well, but I'm not going to submit it to that kind of abuse too often.

for the record, I'm 220 before gear, and ride in Ontario/Quebec. the type of terrain I ride is typical of the North East with lots of wet, decomposing granite, roots and mud.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    I also live in the northeast in NH. I ride burke, and highland, an everything in between and have done it all on my HD for the past 2 years. I had it set up with 180 marz 66 evo coil front and recently upgraded the rear to a roco tst air. I think if you paired it up with a good coil rear shock.. you would be fine on jester, catspaw, happy hour, etc... but it all comes down to how smooth a rider you are and what your comfortable with. I found my HD to not be enough bike when I screw a landing up bad.. like on knightslayer if I didn't clear the tables completely on my HD, I would feel it to my core.. Now I have a 2010 rocky flatline Pro, an I clear the tables without thinking about it, an if I hit a lip on the way down.. the rear just takes it, an I keep on trucking. You can ride jester with a freakin hardtail dirtjumper if your smooth.. but I have a job an kids, so I wanna go home in tact if I really botch a landing.. and upper j-bar in the wet mud is way more fun with a DH rig! I have DH bike for highland and burke and wherever else I wanna go.. an HD for all mountain stuff and building up a ripley for rippin up some xc an racing... I would just buy a used HD an keep the DH rig.. I was beating the crap out of my carbon frame riding at highland an stuff. Highland mud is like tiny razor blades that take the finish off frames...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp