mtbr member
    May 2007

general maintenance questions

Hey all,

So I was in search of a Ripley creak yesterday, and called Ibis with a few questions about disassembling the bike. Hans answered the phone (again, super cool that you can just pick up the phone and he answers), an was helpful in answering my questions.

At one point he stated that I needed some carbon anti-seize paste. We had a bad connection, probably due to me being in my basement where my bike work-shop is, so I didn't want to be on the phone any longer then need be, but I wanted to inquire more about this..

So maybe you can help, or Hans himself will jump in. When installing the seat post, clevis bolts, shock bolts, etc... basically anything where aluminum/titanium are meeting up with carbon, what kind of lube/paste should I be putting on these components? Or do I keep them dry?

Thanks!
    Last edited by zeppman; 09-18-2013 at 09:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

pg 41 set up guide

general maintenance questions-www.ibiscycles.com-downloads-ibis_owners_guide_2013_06_15_web.pdf.png

Maybe this will help, pg 41 of our set up guide. It has the various torque and grease recommendations for different fasteners.

You might look at the HD and SL for ideas on the grease / anti-sieze / loctite recommendations, since we did not fully explain it for the Ripley.

The aluminum parts are generally greenish gold (hard coat clear anodized) and want to be greased externally, with a drop of blue loctite on the threads.

The Ti parts are bronze / silver color and are 60% the weight of a comparable steel part, so you can usually feel that a part is ti when you have it off the bike. Using anti-seize on ti will keep it from getting stuck later.

The stainless fasteners generally just need to be greased, or loctite in high stress applications that tend to come loose over time or would be disastrous to have come loose (brake caliper and rotor bolts!).

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

Lightly salted
    ....edited

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Don't forget to use Tacx Carbon Assembly Compound, seat post, stem to carbon bars, possibly brake clamps on carbon bars. There are fine plastic particles suspended in the the grease so you don't need to over torque these fittings. The seat post has been know to seize in wet climates.