mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Front Derailleur and my build

In the middle of building my new Mojo. Being that I come from a more freeride/DH background I managed to forget about a front derailleur. So I'm wondering what I should use. I will buy a X9 and know Ibis says a down swing top pull and I know that's it's a 34.9. Although when checking into it I noticed that SRAM has both something called High clamp and Low clamp. Which of these two should I buy? I'd ask my LBS but I don't have one. So checking in here for some help. Thanks in advance.
    Below is a list of my build and pictures to come soon. Just waiting for the wheels and my links to get done. Hope that the weight should be decent. I think it will be a great trail bike.

Frame: Ibis Mojo Nuclear Pesto with custom ano black links and seat QR, Mojo SL hardware. Size small
    Fork: RockShox Rev Team U Turn black with custom Nuclear Pesto green decals
    Headset: Cane Creek 110 IS black
    Handlebar: RaceFace Sixc carbon AM
    Grips: ODI Ruffian
    Shifters: SRAM XO
    Brakes: Avid Elixir CR black
    Stem: Thomson 4X 70mm black
    Cranks: RaceFace Sixc carbon AM
    Pedals: Crank Bros Candy SL black
    Chain: SRAM PC991
    Cassette: SRAM PG990
    Rear Der.: SRAM XO Med. cage black
    Front Der.:SRAM X-9
    Seat post: Thomson black
    Saddle: Sellia Italia Prolink Flow Mag.
    Wheels: Industry Nine All Mountain build with Stans Flow all black
    Tires: Maxxis CrossMark UST
    Cables: XTR Stainless and XTR housing

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You need a high clamp (which is the same as down swing).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks Crossmaxx. It's been awhile since I've ran a front Der. So I'm not so educated about them. I'll order one up. I checked out the new XX but they run a high price and I can't see that it's really worth the difference between an X9 and XX. Sure weight is for sure different but I'm sure you get a crisp shift on an X9.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeah, well it is more complicated than it should be due to Shimano and Sram using different terminology. Down swing (Shimano language) is the same as high clamp, and top swing is low clamp. Quite unintuitive and confusing once you add top or down pull.

As for differences between X9 and XX, be aware that the XX is a 2-speed design (for two chainring cranks), so if you're running 3 rings at the front you need to go for the X9 I think, or maybe a Shimano front der.