mtbr member
    Aug 2008

fresh tranny or old mojo?

let's keep the jokes clean...
    so while looking to pick up a tranny (already with the jokes?! geez) I've found some good used mojos.
    and while I personally don't get why anyone would sell one... there we are.
    used mojo, or new tranny, basically the same price.

my quandary is this: I have a full squish funbike, heckler, love it lots, won't be getting rid of it.
    have an old merlin for light ht stuff, and a surly 1x1 for ss heavier stuff.
    so unfortunately the answer to the question "well which do you need" is irrelevant.
    I need nothing.

but I'm turning 35, and have pushed fairly hard to get where I am in life, so a reward should be in order. something in carbon was my thinking.

build will be the same either way.
    ss or 1x9
    dorado sc
    2.4" michelins.
    I'm aiming for woodsy-trail love wrapped in a carbon bow.
    mud, leaves, logs, low to mid-speed impacts, that kind of fun.

so tranny owners: how much chunk do you get away with without rattling your teeth out?
    (jokes..... don't start)

mojo owners: how much more fun is your 5" in the back giving you?
    (ahem.... aaahfuggedabboudit! joke away)

anyone in either camp think they'd rather be batting for the other team?
    I'm leaning towards the tranny myself (ever since that night in tijuana when...)
    but really, I'm feeling I can't go wrong with either.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Church of the Wheel
    I can't imagine any bike being as rewarding as my Mojo is. I am confident that no hardtail, even the Tranny, can compare to the seamless, smooth flow. Every once in a while, just for fun, I'll flip the lockout on my shock (DT Swiss has a true lockout) and the bike instantly turns into a hardtail and I'm reminded of the differences. Even on smooth stuff the (unlocked) suspension action of the Mojo makes riding way more enjoyable than locked out. My Mojo is not only the most capable all-around bike I've ever ridden, it is also the most fun. As another MTBR member once wrote, it's the best investment I have ever made in a bike, and in myself.

All that said, I would love to add a Tranny to my stable too. It offers a different sort of versatility, and it just begs to be built as a SS, or possibly with an IGH rear.

They're both great bikes. Just different. See if you can get some rides in on both and then see which one will best fill your...requirements.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Mojo. There are many light hardtails out there, and the differences between the handling of hardtails aren't nearly as great as the differences between FS rigs. But if you're still torn, keep it simple: Buy whichever style (FS or HT) you think you'd ride more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lately I have been riding my 07 mojo in the #1 propedal position for most of my ride. Power transfer seems more solid and I still have a little cush for roots, rocks and bumps. Iv'e been thinking about getting a tranny so the other day I switched pp to the #3 position and was instantly aware of the harshness of the trail. I switched back to #1 right away. I love the pp as I can flick it off when the going gets rougher for a awesome ride. I have also increased the air in the shock to achieve a firmer ride without pp engaged but then I have no cush waiting to be used.

Having said the above I am still going to get a tranny as I think it will rock as a single speed. I'll put up with any harshness as the bike is so damn gorgeous.

Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    Mojo. FTW.

get a tranny next year! lol
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29

mtbr member
    Do you like having 5.5 inches of smooth buttery gloriousness or 0?

They are not even close.

Happy when not-last.
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmojo
    All your base are belong to ME.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    let's keep the jokes clean...

mojo owners: how much more fun is your 5" in the back giving you?
    (ahem.... aaahfuggedabboudit! joke away)
    I think a tranny with 5" in the back might be more fun.
    ...Depends on what you think is fun.

(you asked for it!)
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143
    I can't imagine any bike being as rewarding as my Mojo is. I am confident that no hardtail, even the Tranny, can compare to the seamless, smooth flow. Every once in a while, just for fun, I'll flip the lockout on my shock (DT Swiss has a true lockout) and the bike instantly turns into a hardtail and I'm reminded of the differences. Even on smooth stuff the (unlocked) suspension action of the Mojo makes riding way more enjoyable than locked out. My Mojo is not only the most capable all-around bike I've ever ridden, it is also the most fun. As another MTBR member once wrote, it's the best investment I have ever made in a bike, and in myself.

All that said, I would love to add a Tranny to my stable too. It offers a different sort of versatility, and it just begs to be built as a SS, or possibly with an IGH rear.

They're both great bikes. Just different. See if you can get some rides in on both and then see which one will best fill your...requirements.
    YES....EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID... Most capable and most fun. I rode my Ti Mojo for years, and still love it, but the new Mojo is magic.... it carves better, pops off lips better, accelerates out of corners like there's a booster, and climbs better...it's the flowiest bike I've ever ridden.... and the rougher things get, the wider it's advantage becomes. The thought of a tranny carving, popping lips, and gettin' rough makes my schfinchter pucker

You've already got the hardtail and the SS thing covered nicely (love those old Merlins!), and while the Heckler is a fine bike, it's no mojo.... a heckler built bomber, with a more all purpose build on a Mojo or Mojo SL would make for a pretty nicely rounded out quiver IMO.