mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Fresh look for an older Mojo - Gold links

Hey Folks,
    I usually browse around instead of posting, but given how the Mojo is such a customizable bike, I thought others might enjoy seeing a new color for a change. I bought the Mojo used a couple years ago with chrome links, but always wanted some color. The red and blue that so many of you have posted look amazing, but I wanted yellow/gold. I bought a set of used links a few weeks back, stripped the anodizing, and using the DIY websites, I anodized my links gold. Soon after, many other removable aluminum bits were stripped of their original finish and anodized gold as well! Might go for some braided gold Jagwire housings next - A set of gold I9's would finish it off, but that will have to wait a while.

Thoughts on the anodizing process:

I used a very small set up, about a gallon and a half anodizing tank, with small side "tanks" for stripper (Red Devil lye), and desmut (10-20% nitric acid). Stripping parts was the most time consuming, it takes about 10-15 minutes for the lye to break down the existing finish, then it takes off like wildfire. I periodically scrubbed the parts with steel wool to move the process along more evenly.

After parts were stripped, a lot of time was spent cleaning and polishing. Any imperfections are exaggerated by the anodizing process. Final cleaning was done wearing rubber gloves (they were used to stripping too) and using degreasing dish soap (Joy/Palmolive). Wiring the parts to the positive lead took some thought - it's imperative to have a solid connection or the part won't anodize.

I used a small manual battery charger, set at the 12v 2amp setting. Even this might have been more current than necessary. The negative lead gives off some nasty gases, so ventilation is important. I wasn't satisifed with RIT dye in yellow, so I bought some Gold S and Orange Gold dye from Caswell, and the results were much better!

The bearings were just about as tight as they were when I took them out, no wiggle room for sure. If a part were left in the Lye too long, or anodized too long, I imagine there might be some noticeable change.

Enjoy!
    -Eric

PS - I couldn't find a single bike shop in Boston or on the North Shore of Massachusetts that has an XTR Crank removal tool - I ended up buying my own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fresh look for an older Mojo - Gold links-ibis2.jpg  

Fresh look for an older Mojo - Gold links-ibis1.jpg  

Fresh look for an older Mojo - Gold links-ibis5.jpg  

Fresh look for an older Mojo - Gold links-ibis3.jpg  

Dropshot Champ!
    that looks great. nice work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    that turned out great!

MTB B'dos
    I'm sorry, that's just not going to cut it, you now need to get the matching Kashima coated shock and fork Seriously, looks sweet, but you need to rebuild your wheels now with gold nipples and finish off doing all the bolts gold
    Last edited by LyNx; 12-04-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nice. Now you just need to add the KMC gold chain:
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Good job!

Cool project, looks great. I smell an anodizing side business coming up for you.

mtbr member
    That turned out great!
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well done!
    H

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice! That's just what I wanted to do with my HD... but no chrome links anymore

Had to settle for black on black on gold...

mtbr member
    Damn, nice job. I've been wishing for gold links for forever... kudos to you for just doing it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Absolutely Awesome!

I'm very interested in getting some of the same links annodized for my Mojo. Enduro00E could you please send me a private message.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    lol, apparently I dont have enough postings to reply to a private message. Can I trouble you to pm me your direct email?
    Thanks

mtbr remember
    that's an "older Ibis"...?
    ....guess I was thrown off by the title...

...kidding.
    I think it looks great!
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for all the comments! It's no steel frame oldie, but its an 07 original "carbon" (bought it used last year), so sort of an oldie when there's the SL-R on the showroom floor. I've ridden the bike a bunch since this was posted and have noticed virtually no fading to the color, so I hope that means I sealed the parts well enough. Saving up for some gold Industry 9's now, might be a while - college loans to pay first.
    -Eric

mtbr member

Good job!

Beware, someone might bring your bike to the goldsmith!

mtbr member

Fresh look for an older Mojo - Gold links

Awesome job!

artistic...
    Goldfinger

want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull