mtbr member

Frameskin application

is it easy to put on the frameskin stickers? The instructions say you can put them in soapy water first to make it easier---doesn't this mess up the adhesive?

I looked at the instructions that came with the tube and as far as what goes where, it's not that clear. I'd like to see a picture of the bike with corresponding stickers labeled A, B, C, etc.

Any other tips?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    the kit is great. went on pretty easy. my mechanic did it for me and used a lighter to help spread out any bubbles.

aka übermensch
    Soapy water will not mess up the adhesive. It allows you to move and adjust the piece before the adhesive sticks it into place. Otherwise, you will be constantly sticking and pulling the piece off if it is not in your desired location. Once the water is dry, that's when the adhesive begins to bond. Hair dryer works well to dry the soapy water, and make the frameskin more flexible for certain areas.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    cool, thanks for the info.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    the piece that covers the top tube is starting to bubble/peel back on the front right corner.

any ideas on how to fix that?

aka übermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by darty
    the piece that covers the top tube is starting to bubble/peel back on the front right corner.

If there isn't any sand or dirt or any other foreign objects in the section that has peeled back, you can try a couple of different things.

If it's clean, use a hair dryer to heat that section up, and push it back down into place. The heat will help the adhesive stick again.

Another option would be to use the hair dryer to completely remove the frameskin, put it in soapy water, and re apply. I've actually done that a couple of times on some smaller pieces. However, it seems that if you try it too many times, the adhesive loses its ability to keep the frameskin in place.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darty

If you can get the area to re stick like Triple T suggests, take some clear nail polish & seal the edge that was lifting.If the tape has dirt under it, take a small exacto knife with a new blade & trim off the area that has lifted up.You only want to cut approx. 3/4 of the way through the tape.Practice sticking some tape to some old parts 1st to get the feel for it.If the piece of tape you are removing is large & you want to replace it, simply use that piece as a template to make a new piece of tape.

mtbr member
    I love my Frameskins Kit!!! I also got some extra pieces for my carbon cranks and DT forks

mtbr member
    I got all the pieces on. Much easier than I thought. I have a few air bubbles under the larger pieces, but maybe that'll just add to the protection
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I took of few pics today of the frameskin I applied to my new Ibis Mojo Sl so I thought I'd post them so folks can see what they are actually getting. It can certainly be tricky to apply but it appears to be a very nice product, similar to the clear film you can buy for the hood of new cars these days. It got here shockingly quickly coming all the way from Australia, shipped out the day after I ordered it. Anyway, here's what the kit looks like:

Air mail container it arrived in:

Sheet of skins with some already removed and applied:

Instruction diagram which was actually fairly easy to follow:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I used the wet application method and a heat gun to dry the films. Getting all the air bubbles out proved to be quite a PITA, especially in areas where the surface was uneven.

Before:

After:

Down tube before:

Down tube after:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here's the left triangle with the skin on the lower portion but not placed on the upper yet:

When you put on the films wet they don't stick at all, so they won't curl around the corners while still wet. Here's one still wet before the heat gun:

Once you start the heat gun the edges will curl, trapping air even as you try to press it out. I'm not very experienced with these so I'm sure others have had better luck getting the bubbles out.

Here's the right chainstay with the protectant that came already attached by the guys at Ibis, clearly much better applied than mine.

Here one with the frameskin I applied right next to it, that one came out fairly decent.

Here's the right sided triangle with complete frameskin applied:

Closeup:

My worst piece was probably the top tube, would have likely been a lot easier without the cables already in place.
    Before:

After:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Various closeups:

I'm curious to see how these hold up, especially in wet Seattle weather. Overall frameskins seems like a very good product if it stands the test of time and I'll consider using it again when I pick up a new road bike someday. I can get more pics if anyone is interested.

Rides a Bike
    Hi Viper.
    The mini squeegee that comes with the kit is excellent for chasing out bubbles as you apply the film (as too are thumbs). It's also very helpful to release your cable lines (snip the zip ties, etc) so you can keep them away from the surface you are applying the decals to (especially decals that lie beneath cable lines) otherwise is can get fiddly...

The wet method of application generally yields excellent results (great clarity, excellent adhesion), but you may find that some edges will need a press down once all the moisture has evaporated (i.e. a couple of hours after application for example). Dry application is best reserved for more experienced hands.

Thankyou for posting the pics and relating your experience.
    NB: Please let me know if you want some additional decals to replace the ones you are not happy with.
    Regards
    Alan
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Do you know when/if you will have a HD frameskin available?

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jeth
    Do you know when/if you will have a HD frameskin available?
    The Australian distributor will be sending me the first frame to arrive in their next shipment.
    I will template the HD as soon as it arrives and I will also redesign the Mojo kit at the same time. The Mojo kit revision (Mk4) will happen in a week as my frame is in for a respray right now.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807
    Hi Viper.
    The mini squeegee that comes with the kit is excellent for chasing out bubbles as you apply the film (as too are thumbs). It's also very helpful to release your cable lines (snip the zip ties, etc) so you can keep them away from the surface you are applying the decals to (especially decals that lie beneath cable lines) otherwise is can get fiddly...
    I would definitely disconnect the cables next time. Best time to apply I think would be on a bare frame if you have that opportunity. I used both the squeegee and my thumbs with variable success on getting the bubbles out, but that is really an operator defect, not a product defect. And most of the decals went on very smoothly so I am not at all disappointed in the frameskins. The bubbles are a minor issue and don't really bother me at all but it does illustrate that you have to apply them with care. Now the skins are on I can get out and enjoy my new ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807
    The Australian distributor will be sending me the first frame to arrive in their next shipment.
    I will template the HD as soon as it arrives and I will also redesign the Mojo kit at the same time. The Mojo kit revision (Mk4) will happen in a week as my frame is in for a respray right now.

Great stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I did mine dry, after assembly. The majority went on great, though I've had a few pieces that just didnt stay stuck down, despite careful prep. The small bottom bracket chunker, and the contoured pieces of the crank & fork bits never really took, so I had to cut them off. I'd probably leave off the crank/fork kits if I had to do over.

Squeege was a great addition to the kit.