mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Frame Size vs Stem Size for 5ft 9" rider

I'd really appreciate knowing what other 5' 9" Mojo owners have chosen ref frame size and stem size. Medium with long stem or large with short stem?

I'm about to order a Mojo SL, but in limbo about size. I'm, 5 9, but (unfortunately for a cyclist!) I have a long torso and short legs (inside leg 30"), so my legs say I should be medium, but my torso probably says large for that extra top tube length.

After checking the archives here, and some advice from Ibis, the most common option seems to be a smaller frame with a longer stem. It seems the Ibis was designed for a longer (100-120mm) stem, but I just don't get on with long stems, esp on the downhills - which is were all the fun is in mountain biking imho!

I currently ride a medium Blur 4x with a 70mm stem - I love how this bike handles, real flickable and seriously up for some fun on the tough stuff when if come to decents, but if I'm riding for longer than a few hours I start to get back ache as I'm a bit crunched up in the cockpit, so I was planning to upgrade to a large Blur 4X frame (after a trial with a 120m stem didn't cut the mustard for me) - but after reading about the Mojo I'm sold already - just not sure which frame to get!

Are there any similar sized riders out there (especially with long torso with diddy wee legs!) who've gone for the large with a 70mm stem and had any regrets?

Cheers

Soul Sonic

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Soul Sonic ... I posted a similar thread a coupe weeks ago as I'm 5 foot 10 inches with a 32 inch inseam and also looking at purchasing a new SL. I rented both the large and medium from a local shop and spent a few hours on each one to determine what would work best for me.

The medium had a 110 mm stem with a straight seatpost and the large had a 100 mm stem with a straight seatpost. I set them up to be identical in terms of effective top tube. I thought I would prefer the large, but this was not the case at all. While the large was a bit more stable on one of our local black diamond DH courses, this was not enough of an advantage to off-set the trade-offs for me. The large felt much larger than the specs would indicate making the handling less nimble. Also, I preferred the medium for climbing especially if you get the Fox Float RLC versus Talas.

I really think this eventually comes down to personal preference. I tried running a longer TT with a shorter stem and I, personally, did not like it nearly as well as the medium.

My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Unfortunately, I think we would best be served with size 18 for guys around 5'9". But, since we don't have that.
    I also thought I would be on a large after measuring both bikes and taking into account my body type and riding style.
    Just a matter of preference and how you would like the bike to handle, really. But, it also is more complicated than just just your height. More of a long torso, shorter torso, + varous stretched out and behind/infrontof pedals and other preferences and riding style thing.< I should make a up new word or 2.
    I'm 5'9" with longtorso that likes a longTopTube and a crossCountryNibbleRiding style. I spent quite a bit of time on identical large and medium builds to decide.
    I went with a 120 stem/setback seatpost on med. as I like being behind pedals and to get the steering responsive enough. I shorten talas fork for long climbs and lengthen for long downhill.
    If I were just bombing downhill mostly I might have gone with the large. But steering and wheelbase on large was not kicking enough for what I wanted. So, really if I was looking for a little slower steering with more downhill stablity at the cost of the a little less climbing efficiency I would have went large no problem. Ethier way you prefer, still the best ride. Note, there are allot of guys that like smaller sizes for bombing downhill for the control cause they almost ride it like a trials bike, so it's not just for x-country feel.
    As noted above, though it would be nice to have a size 18 to try.
    Last edited by ghawk; 01-15-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Gentleman Loser

I am exactly the same size as you

I am exactly the same size, and I went with a large frame, a slightly offset seatpost, and a 70mm stem.

Were I to have gone with the medium frame, I would have to run a long stem with a very significant rise.

I understand where the Ibis guys are coming from, but I respectfully disagree with their recommendations to run long, 100mm+ stems.

artistic...
    i am 5 9 and ride a small(steel) ibis mojo w/ 130 stem. bars are 1 in below saddle.
    big bikes are nice for road riding.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thanks guys for you feedback - but you're making the decision even harder LOL!!! 2 say medium, 1 says large, and 1 says small!!!!

To be honest my heart says large with stubby stem, but in my head (after doing the math and listening to Tom at Ibis) says medium with either a compromised stem (ie a 80mm or 90mm - not too long, not too short) or a stubby stem with laid back seat post.

Ahhh decisions, decisions, don't you just love them!

Cheers

Soulsonic

Gentleman Loser

Head tube

Head tube's really short on the medium and small frames - 115mm and 100mm respectively.

If you like to ride with your bars near or at saddle height, you'll have to run a really long stem with a substantial rise.

Anyone that rides a 130mm+ stem on a 150mm-travel fork is asking for serious trouble every time they bottom that fork.

Your heart is right.

mtbr member
    You are between XL and M so order 70 stem and later you can try with 50.

braco

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsonicboy
    I'd really appreciate knowing what other 5' 9" Mojo owners have chosen ref frame size and stem size. Medium with long stem or large with short stem?

I'm about to order a Mojo SL, but in limbo about size. I'm, 5 9, but (unfortunately for a cyclist!) I have a long torso and short legs (inside leg 30"), so my legs say I should be medium, but my torso probably says large for that extra top tube length.

After checking the archives here, and some advice from Ibis, the most common option seems to be a smaller frame with a longer stem. It seems the Ibis was designed for a longer (100-120mm) stem, but I just don't get on with long stems, esp on the downhills - which is were all the fun is in mountain biking imho!

I currently ride a medium Blur 4x with a 70mm stem - I love how this bike handles, real flickable and seriously up for some fun on the tough stuff when if come to decents, but if I'm riding for longer than a few hours I start to get back ache as I'm a bit crunched up in the cockpit, so I was planning to upgrade to a large Blur 4X frame (after a trial with a 120m stem didn't cut the mustard for me) - but after reading about the Mojo I'm sold already - just not sure which frame to get!

Are there any similar sized riders out there (especially with long torso with diddy wee legs!) who've gone for the large with a 70mm stem and had any regrets?

Cheers

Soul Sonic
    From a medium 4x 22,3 tt with a 70mm stem to a large moj ?
    For compairson my med. Blur classic 22,5 tt 120 stem (I also have a long torso and shorter legs like most guys and like to be stretched out.) Then fitted a moj med with 120mm stem. Better responsiveness than blur climbing and better downhill control.
    Is something amiss (word?) going from 22,8 medium moj even with 70mm (makes you 1/2 cm longer than 4x) to a large 23,6 at with 70mm stem make you a whopping 1,3 cm longer. Can you say steer like a tank, I can cause I tested both large and mediums quite a while before purchase. (Note tested large with 110 stem can't imagine how sluggish (in contrast ) it would steer with anything significantly shorter.)
    Another thing, being stretched out would help with the long rides on a 4x bike. Just an opinion but the medium doesn't feel like as short a tt as in the specs, some guys here can help you calc the exact top tubes of both bikes with the added sa/ha of 4x 73,5/68,5 vs moj 73/69.
    Also dealers rental programs usually go toward purchase. http://ibiscycles.com/buy/demos/
    Like I said just an opinion and everyone is different that's why the demo program helps so much.
    Imho go to a dealer for a fit kit.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 01-17-2008 at 05:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Size difference between med 4/x and large is about 3 cm, throw in 70 all the way out to 120 adds 8 cm ?
    Those numbers don't add up to me.
    Really, sound like you need to go to a shop that does pro fitting to help with it.
    I'd go with a large and just shuttle all the time lol. Just kidding.
    Is that not a drastic change between a 70 to 120 stem. (Can you not hurt your back that way?)
    Why not try the demo program and get someone to change several different size stems out for you or take with on the ride or setup on a trainer. Pretty easy to do as that is how I decided with 100, 110 and 120 stems on both a large and medium.
    Last edited by ghawk; 01-17-2008 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi ghawk,

Sorry, I didn't explain my original comment clearly - when I said the 120mm stem didn't work out, I meant I tried that on my current medium 4X, not on the large! (now that WOULD be a bus for me!) The 120 on the medium, while it helped stretch my back out and was more comfortable it really knackered up the handling on decents - too over the front wheel and all my confidence was gone - no fun at all!
    It's because of that I'm looking at getting a larger frame so I can keep the stubby 70mm stem but get the same stretched out cockpit feel.

But, seeing as the medium Mojo is a tad longer by 15mm than the 4X Blur, I'm tempted by the medium with a laid back seat post and a compromise stem of 90mm - that way I keep the flickability (is there such a term??!!) of the smaller frame, but should get a more comfortable ride position (not so scrunched up) without sacrificing too much control on the decents with a short (ish) stem.

Make sense, or am I getting too anal about a few friggin' millimeters!!!??? (probably!)

Cheers

Soulsonic

Grams Light Bikes
    I am 5'9" and 31" inseam, I ride the Mojo Medium with a 110mm and normal seatpost (I do have the seat a tad back but not much) , I tried using a 120mm but it felt to stretched out for my back, the stem is a good one to test out at you LBS, try a 110 then a 120 and see how they feel, its a lot nicer to test now a days with the split stem clamps, but it works fine for climbing and still is great for steep stuff, they don't make a med/large frame like they use to, Specialized had them in the old days, that worked the best for me, a large is way to big for me and a medium is about right to perhaps a very tad small, but in the tight stuff I like the smaller size

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi ghawk,

Sorry, I didn't explain my original comment clearly - when I said the 120mm stem didn't work out, I meant I tried that on my current medium 4X, not on the large! (now that WOULD be a bus for me!) The 120 on the medium, while it helped stretch my back out and was more comfortable it really knackered up the handling on decents - too over the front wheel and all my confidence was gone - no fun at all!
    It's because of that I'm looking at getting a larger frame so I can keep the stubby 70mm stem but get the same stretched out cockpit feel.

But, seeing as the medium Mojo is a tad longer by 15mm than the 4X Blur, I'm tempted by the medium with a laid back seat post and a compromise stem of 90mm - that way I keep the flickability (is there such a term??!!) of the smaller frame, but should get a more comfortable ride position (not so scrunched up) without sacrificing too much control on the decents with a short (ish) stem.

Make sense, or am I getting too anal about a few friggin' millimeters!!!??? (probably!)

Cheers

Soulsonic

That is real close where I am at right now [5'9"+ / 31+] : medium frame, 100mm stem, seat all the way back on a straight seat post. This is after slightly more than a week of riding my Mojo and getting comfortable. I will definitely switch to a laid back seat post.

My riding position is getting very close to optimal at this point: efficient pedaling combined with exccellent downhill position.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi ghawk,

Sorry, I didn't explain my original comment clearly - when I said the 120mm stem didn't work out, I meant I tried that on my current medium 4X, not on the large!
    Oh, that would be more like a 8.95 mm difference between the to so you would want around a 90 mm stem on the large, but raised about 1/2 cm higher.
    Exactly, that makes sense
    or am I getting too anal about a few friggin' millimeters!!!??? (probably!)
    Naw, you are in the right place everyone here is pretty particular.
    -It's your engine so you wannna be as comfortable as possible.
    By your comments of the handling on the downhill you might really try the large then because is amazingly stable on the downhill. Still, sounds like you should try both first.
    Better yet, get both !
    I really wish there was an 18" size sounds like that would be perfect for you.
    I know this is blastfemy, but why not try the fuel ex 9.0/9.5 in the new 18.5 size they added. The suspension is not quite up to the moj, but it's a pretty good bike.
    Or maybe a bioicon http://www.bionicon.com/standard.xml...000006017e4ac9
    But, still mojo dealer program or find a friend that has one to try in the different sizes near you on these forums.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 01-18-2008 at 04:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Cheers

Soulsonic
    Okay, I get it. I went with a fsa 33mm setback seatpost cause that is my riding style anyway. Still had to do a 120 stem to be comfortably stretched out. I've done ergonomic positioning for a number of years and feel that dialing the bike position in for your best feel is very important. A few mm really do make a difference. Ask anyone with a repetitive motion injury.