mtbr member
    Dec 2005

frame prep? origin of manufacture?

does anyone know if the frames come prepped or do i need to face anything?

where are these frames made?

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Don't know about the origin for sure but I've read that they're manufactured in China...at least the frames are. Don't quote me though.

As far as facing, I assume you're referring to the rear disc tab, head tube, etc. No work needs to be done, unless your brake caliper doesn't align properly.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I can't remember the country either - but it is covered in earlier posts elsewhere - try a few searches.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Frame Origin: China

Ibis frames are apparently manufactured in China. Singletrack (a magazine in the U.K.) published an interview with Scot Nicol last month. Interestingly, Chuck seemed to go to some length to make it clear that Ibis had chosen this specific manufacturer based on quality, not price. The guy that runs the business has one other bike industry customer, a PHD in composites, and has done work for the governments in China and Taiwan.

I'd be curious to find out which other bike company is using the same manufacturer... Maybe Yeti?

- Matt

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwatkins
    Ibis frames are apparently manufactured in China. Singletrack (a magazine in the U.K.) published an interview with Scot Nicol last month. Interestingly, Chuck seemed to go to some length to make it clear that Ibis had chosen this specific manufacturer based on quality, not price. The guy that runs the business has one other bike industry customer, a PHD in composites, and has done work for the governments in China and Taiwan.

I'd be curious to find out which other bike company is using the same manufacturer... Maybe Yeti?

- Matt
    I think it might have been Trek as I seem to remember that the Discovery bikes were made in the same facility as the Ibis bikes.

mtbr member
    I've had my bottom bracket chased and faced just for the hell of it but I'm sure Ibis will tell you that it isn't required.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    I've had my bottom bracket chased and faced just for the hell of it but I'm sure Ibis will tell you that it isn't required.
    thanks everyone for your comments.

i have the means to face mine, but some frames come machined after the fact and do not need anything done. (ex ventana).

so i was wondering if these bb on the mojo needed it. from what it sounds like, they do not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Fwiw....

No prep work (chasing/facing, etc) was done to my frame prior to assembly, and I can vouch that there were no assembly "issues" as I was allowed to watch the entire assembly process from start to finish. It went smooth as butter.

mtbr member
    Taiwan

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Braco
    Taiwan
    Some components are made in Taiwan, but the frames are made on mainland China somewhere. The bikes are built in Scotts Valley, California.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Some components are made in Taiwan, but the frames are made on mainland China somewhere. The bikes are built in Scotts Valley, California.
    cool.

thanks guys. not a big issue, i just like to know where my frame and the components i choose are born...within reason.