mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Fox shock on the HD, any specific tune?

Is there a specific tune required for the HD on the fox rp23? My friend on a nomad is selling his. Same eye to eye dimension with the HD. Im just not sure about the tune. But is it possibile to put on the hd? Its a 2013 kashima btw.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Compression = Low
    Rebound = Low

I think you could get away with a Medium / Medium; it may be a little harsh.

If it's a Low Compression / Medium Rebound then you should be ok depending on how much air you have in the spring.

banned
    Feb 2012
    What's on your HD now? I would skip the RP23 and spend the money for Avalanche or Cane Creek.

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    What's on your HD now? I would skip the RP23 and spend the money for Avalanche or Cane Creek.
    this. unless you weigh less than 160 and don't ride particularly hard (but most people with an HD tend to like to ride hard).
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Since im the second owner, the frame already came with the kashima shock that cam from a nomad carbon. Accdg to Todd, L-compression M-rebound and a boost valve tune of 175-200 is what they normally spec. Since mine has LLcompression and rebound he said that i could try it out and if i dont have any complaints about how it feels then let it be. Will try to have it tuned though in the future or get a burlier shock when my budget comes.

Meanwhile , can an authorized shock service provider retune this shock from L rebound to M? And boost valve tune to say 200?

Here is the existing spec on the rp23

Boost valve tune-175
    Rebound-Low
    Velocity tune-Low

Is the velocity tune aka compression tune?

mtbr member

Just send the existing shock to avalanche. You won't be sorry. Regardless of compression and rebound tune it's a turd in stock form.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Or I have a RS Monarch Plus RC3 for sale in the Classifieds that I had on my HD. It is a new Warranty replacement. Once you try it you won't ever go back.

CCDBA 7.5 x 2 & RS Monarch Plus RC3 8.5 x 2.5 - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

PM me and I will take a few $$$ off the price.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Turner RFX W/Push 11/6

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    Since im the second owner, the frame already came with the kashima shock that cam from a nomad carbon. Accdg to Todd, L-compression M-rebound and a boost valve tune of 175-200 is what they normally spec. Since mine has LLcompression and rebound he said that i could try it out and if i dont have any complaints about how it feels then let it be.
    Is the velocity tune aka compression tune?
    Ibis must have changed the tune on their rear shocks since I bought mine.

Low, Low is just fine.....that's how they spec'd my frame. Enjoy the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi Canuck, what model is your HD? Is yours a fox kashima with LL rebound and velocity tune as well? What is your boost valve tune

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Just send the existing shock to avalanche. You won't be sorry. Regardless of compression and rebound tune it's a turd in stock form.
    Heh, I saw someone describe the Avy tune on the CTD as polishing a turd. I almost sent mine in, but found a used X Fusion Vector Air for the same price. Got it factory tuned and… wow! It's a whole different bike.

I'd say just get another shock ASAP.

mtbr member

Avy does a great job. I have a custom Roco air (bikeco) as well as an Avy DHX air for my HD. I really like both. I wouldn't ever run a stock fox rear shock on any bike ever.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Ibis says M/L for the tune. However for the RS Monarch Plus the air can is so much larger vs the smaller fox can that M/M worked perfect for me. I had a M/L and I blew through the travel running the maximum amount of volume reducers.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Turner RFX W/Push 11/6

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've heard the Avy DHXs are sweet. This guy has a CTD rp23, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Avy does a great job. I have a custom Roco air (bikeco) as well as an Avy DHX air for my HD. I really like both. I wouldn't ever run a stock fox rear shock on any bike ever.

mtbr member

Right. I had an Avy CTD boost valve on a pivot Mach 5.7c which I recently sold but it transformed the ride. Particularly on square edged hits where the bike would get hung up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd either get a X Fusion Vector Air or a CC DBA CS if buying new or send the CTD to Avy first if you have a great deal on it. I sent my original RP23 to Avy on my HD when he started tuning them (ran a Push RT-AM for years prior) and loved what Craig did to it. It ends up really nice and a huge improvement over the stock RP23.

Bought a new CC DBA CS when I converted it to 650B and think it's also fantastic. Running it with an Avy tuned Pike and I'm a big fan of Craig's work
    Last edited by Shane_CA; 10-19-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke