mtbr member
    Nov 2011

New question here. Fox RPL vs X-Fusion O2 RCX shock for Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend

My Ibis Mojo Special Blend came with a Fox RPL shock even though the specs say it comes with an X-Fusion O2 RCX. I don't know if this is an upgrade or a downgrade. I bought the bike from (which is the same as competitive cyclist). Should I call them and ask them if they can exchange it or am I better off with the RPL. I'm not sure if they could even switch a single component; I definitely wouldn't want to replace the entire bike over this. Any advice?

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    My Ibis Mojo Special Blend came with a Fox RPL shock even though the specs say it comes with an X-Fusion O2 RCX. I don't know if this is an upgrade or a downgrade. I bought the bike from (which is the same as competitive cyclist). Should I call them and ask them if they can exchange it or am I better off with the RPL. I'm not sure if they could even switch a single component; I definitely wouldn't want to replace the entire bike over this. Any advice?
    I don't know much about the x-fusion, but I LOVE the RPL. I much prefer it to the RP23 on the Mojo. I'd say that you got lucky. What do you feel that you are missing? You have fully open, strong propedal, fully locked and rebound adjustment.

-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Michael, what size did you order? I also ordered a Mojo Special Blend from Backcountry last week, and am awaiting its arrival. Hoping i get some of the same upgrades you did, though I think I would prefer the white fork over the black...

Also, how long did it take for them to ship it to you from when you placed the order? I called today to get status, and they said since they essentially build it up before shipping it, it would be 4-5 business days before it even shipped. Was that the same for you?

_
    Mar 2004
    Perhaps Hans would have a good answer for this one.

I don't know anything about the RPL, but I do know I am loving the simplicity of the O2 RCX on my Special Blend. 4 compression settings (each one has very distinct characteristics) and very easy to flick through them on the fly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Personally, I'm a fan of matching suspension vendors as they usually blend easier. With that said, enough tuning can usually bridge the gap between vendors.

I'd say you should be golden with what you have. I wouldn't worry about it and would instead just go on some epic rides and enjoy the slick new mojo.

mtbr member
    I'm with bdee, the O2 RCX is working really -really well on the SL. I am in no hurry to find something better there, and I have spent quite some time dialing and tuning Fox on other dw-links.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the shock as far as settings go, and I like the lockout and propedal options. It's just that I like the feel of the velvet fork more than fox talas, so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing that would be more obvious if I compared it side by side in the open settings. If I stay with the RPL, I'll certainly enjoy it, but I might never see the light that shines through the cave.

@quaestions
    I ordered a medium and the 4-5 days before shipping is what I had too since they put the bikes in a queue for building. Arrived 2 business days after that. Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned before that the stock tires were specialized ground control sport instead of Nevegals. The stock bars were Ibis DH 710 mm bars and I think the stem was a bit shorter than on a standard Mojo SL.

_
    Mar 2004
    Just for further reference, my stock Mojo SL Special Blend (from JensonUSA) came with 710mm bars, but I can't tell what stem it is, I looked everywhere, but didn't see it printed on the stem anywhere.?.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It seems that the Fox RPL is just a re-branded Fox Triad, which has different internals from the other Fox Float shocks. Does this mean that for the open setting, the performance will not be as good as an X-Fusion O2 RCX shock? Is it possible that the RPL shock that came with my Ibis isn't even tuned for the geometry of the frame? Is there anyone here who has used both the RPL and the O2 RCX or even someone who can give a comparison between any Fox and X-Fusion rear shocks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Same thing, my Ibis arrived from Backcountry.com yesterday with the Fox RPL shock and XT rear derailleur (upgrade!). Did you find out anymore info about the RPL being tuned for the frame etc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chosen1 View Post
    Same thing, my Ibis arrived from yesterday with the Fox RPL shock and XT rear derailleur (upgrade!). Did you find out anymore info about the RPL being tuned for the frame etc?
    We keep the RPLs around for people who race XC on the bikes and want a full lock out. It is the correct shock for the frame and costs more than the X-Fusion. It is a no charge option from the RP23 on the SL, SL-R and HD 140.

Hope that helps explain things a bit. We are keeping flexible specifications on the Special Blend (there aren't really official specs) so we can include various parts depending on availability. The one thing you can count on is that it will be an exceptional value, close to what you might pay for an aluminum framed bike without DW-Link.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the reply Hans.

On a side note, this is my first carbon framed mountain bike, like others I'm really paranoid about rocks hitting the down tube. Is there a guard you recommend? Lizard skins leather tape or maybe the polycarbonate mojo HD guard? (sorry not trying to hijack the thread!)

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The HD Rock Guard does fit on the SL and is very protective. Even without the guard we've only ever seen a few damaged down tubes. We made it after one of the HD prototypes got the cable casings cut in half (and a hole in the DT ) by a rock during a Mega Avalanche race.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.