bike rider

Fox RPL......Fly In the Ointment

I love the ProPedal options on the Fox RPL and can't imagine why someone would choose the RP23. Ibis is one of the few companies that offer it and it's a bit of a secret. I just discovered a problem though. Push doesn't do custom tunes on them! I don't know why, since it's the same as the other non-Boost Valve Float shocks, just with different ProPedal settings, but that's what Push's website says.

I sent an email to Push asking about this and I'll post their response.
    Keep the Country country.

Antagonist
    Dunno, man. Seems like to get an extra bit of flexibility and give up a little the other way with either of the choices (RPL or 23). Given the out of the box rebound adjustment already on the RPL and obviously being able to adjust pressure to your own weight or preference, I don't think an extra tune is really that big a deal personally... and probably not to 90% of the other people out there.

The lockout sealed the deal for me. I'll take that plus over what I'd deem minor adjustments with a 3rd party tune any day of the week, and especially today given that I'll be doing some urban attack stuff in my area.

You choose.

bike rider
    I've had 2 shocks "Pushed" and they felt better than stock. After 2 or 3 years of riding my shocks are ready for a full rebuild so I get them tuned at the same time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    After demo riding the Mojo on my home trails I decided right away that lockout wasn't something I really cared about on this bike. I considered the DT but in the end I chose RP23 because of the PUSH option down the road. Honestly, if I owned a suspension company I'd be sending those guys samples to encourage them to service my line of product. It's a great selling point for high end gear.

mtbr member
    Lockout shocks such as the RPL have to compromise some of the performance benefits in order to allow the lockout components to fit into such a small package. So, whereas an RP23 has a piston assembly where both the compression and rebound circuits can be tuned to a large variety of characteristics, the RPL uses a fixed rebound and lockout blowoff threshold. Because of this, the overall bump performance of the RP23 shock is superior as well as the options that are available to change it's behavior.

Darren

bike rider
    Wish I'd known that before buying the RPL. I like the lockout and ProPedal options but don't want to give up bump absorption.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    I love my RPL, and don't feel the need for any other adjustments. Propedal is great for ascents, locked on road or smooth fire roads, and fully open for everything else. As others have said, the Lock out feature probably prevents PUSH from working on the shock. The RPL has three positions of Propedal, which is an internal adjustment, PUSH Can modify this since it is working with the three similar adjustments. The Lock out is a different function all together. I really love the versatility of the RPL. At first, I didn't think there was much difference between the full open and ProPedal mode on the RPL, however, after a few more rides, there is a big difference. I can fly up hills w/ the Propedal on. Be patient and adjust your RPL Shock w/ the amount of air, or compression. I posted a while back, and mentioned my riding style when looking at potential shocks for my SL. Hans replied and said the best shock for My Purpose of riding would be the RPL. Ibis has been 100% perfect when it comes to components for my bike. I'm a happy camper!!! I think it comes down to finding the right shock for your own riding style.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK
    Be patient and adjust your RPL Shock w/ the amount of air, or compression.
    Compression damping isn't adjustable.
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    Because of this, the overall bump performance of the RP23 shock is superior
    What exactly is different/worse about the compression damping performance of the RPL? Is the low speed circuit's blow-off the culprit (remember everyone that even in the open setting there is some LSC and a transition to HSC) or are the piston and high speed damping different too? So is the RPL spikier or how would you describe its different feel? I like the RPL's ProPedal options but if you think the RP23 and RP2 have a better ride I'd be curious to try one.

1:18
    Quote Originally Posted by spill
    The lockout sealed the deal for me. I'll take that plus over what I'd deem minor adjustments with a 3rd party tune any day of the week, and especially today given that I'll be doing some urban attack stuff in my area.

You choose.
    Doing urban assaults with lockout engaged wouldn't be good for your shock. I won't go into details, but in general it's advised to have it locked only on tarmac and smooth uphills but certainly not for jumping. As said - you choose.

mtbr member
    As others have said, the Lock out feature probably prevents PUSH from working on the shock.
    We do work on the shock and offer our Factory Rebuild service. It's the Factory Tuning option that is not available for this shock.

What exactly is different/worse about the compression damping performance of the RPL? Is the low speed circuit's blow-off the culprit (remember everyone that even in the open setting there is some LSC and a transition to HSC) or are the piston and high speed damping different too? So is the RPL spikier or how would you describe its different feel? I like the RPL's ProPedal options but if you think the RP23 and RP2 have a better ride I'd be curious to try one.
    The entire piston assembly is different. The compression valving and characteristic as well as the piston porting on compression. Again, it has a more basic rebound system when compared to a standard FLOAT series shock so the reaction to multiple impacts is different. If off-road performance is your priority than the RP23 is the way to go. If you want good performance and need greater flexibility because you ride on the road/commute with your MTB, or have long series of groomed trails etc, than the RPL offers that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spill

You choose.
    Doing urban assaults with lockout engaged wouldn't be good for your shock. I won't go into details, but in general it's advised to have it locked only on tarmac and smooth uphills but certainly not for jumping. As said - you choose.
    Agreed. After a few big hits with the lockout engaged you'll be pushing the metering rod seal out of the shaft and see oil starting to spew from the rebound controls.

Darren

bike rider
    Damn. Now I'm looking at an RP23 or RP2. Is the ProPedal on the RP2 similar to setting 2 or 3 on the RP23? Is it the same as the ProPedal setting on the RPL?
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 05-17-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Antagonist
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    Agreed. After a few big hits with the lockout engaged you'll be pushing the metering rod seal out of the shaft and see oil starting to spew from the rebound controls.
    No doubt. I do some dumb things from time to time, but I'm not an idiot. Never claimed that I was leaving it locked out. But nice to have an instant hardtail at the flick of a switch when getting from fun area to fun area.