Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Fox RP23 tuning.......

Guys,

I've been getting to grips with my "Mojo'Dale", and have some questions about the RP23.

As it stands I have absolutely no need for Propedal, and the shock does seem quite harsh on descents compared to the Fox RPL on my Carbon Rush 110. I'm not prepared to spend 400 on the DT Swiss XR carbon, just to save 90g (or whatever) and have a more comfortable ride. Should I get my RP23 tuned, so that I can actually use the Propedal ??

Over here in the UK there is a highly thought mag called mbr (mountain bike rider). Last month they did a test on 4 air shocks, by testing on the same bike (an Orange 5). The shocks we're all interested in are the Fox RP23 and the DT Swiss EX200 (non carbon version of the XR). Below are the 2 pages........

Fox-RP23.jpg

DT-Swiss-EX200.jpg

The conclusions to the test was that the Compression damping was too light on the EX200, and overly firm on the RP23. They preferred the progression of the damping on the RP23 but would happily have the weight-saving of the EX200 (about 35g), and said it gave a far more comfortable ride than the RP23...........

I noticed that the Compression tune on the test RP23 was "Maximum", as it is on my '08 one (The Compression & Rebound "tunes" are marked on the "cans" for the '08 model). In the article above they say to have the RP23 tuned to a "Light compression tune", so as to stop the harshness of the shock on descents, and to be actually be able to use the Propedal settings to fine-tune the Compression damping.

Before I get on ther 'phone to Mojo suspension (the UK Fox tuners), I thought I'd ask for your useful comments ?? Do you think this would substantially improve the ride & ability to fine-tune the Compression damping. Will I notice any difference ? I mean why do Ibis spec RP23s with a Maximum Compression tune, if a Light tune is so much better.....

Any useful suggestions appreciated.

Many Thanks

Laurence John

BTW: I weigh 155lb/70kg

Gentleman Loser

My opinion

In my opinion, the RP23's maximum compression tune is unsuitable to the Mojo.

I feel that the "max compression" damper is too slow to allow the Mojo to react to high-piston-speed (or "square edged", referring to piston velocity v. time) hits.

I had mine re-tuned by Push industries here in the US.

The bike is much more ride-able now.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    You probably have the High compression setting on the rp23. I swapped mine with Ibis for the Med. compression setting. Since you're in the UK, this may be a little more of a hassle but Ibis will do it for free.

Actually, I just re-read your post....at 155 lbs, you should definitely get the Med. compression setting. There is a Low of course but I have never heard/seen anyone with that version of the rp23.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    You probably have the High compression setting on the rp23. I swapped mine with Ibis for the Med. compression setting. Since you're in the UK, this may be a little more of a hassle but Ibis will do it for free.

Actually, I just re-read your post....at 155 lbs, you should definitely get the Med. compression setting. There is a Low of course but I have never heard/seen anyone with that version of the rp23.

All of Titus's bikes come with the low version. Do dw linked bikes need lots of compression dampening?

Quote Originally Posted by anand
    All of Titus's bikes come with the low version. Do dw linked bikes need lots of compression dampening?
    The HIGH was spec'd as "normal"....gotta be what Ibis and DW decided would be the "best" alternative. However, riders are all different so preferences will vary of course. DW did say that the Mojo was matched specifically to the rp23.

Any Ibis owner that is worried about their setting should just call Ibis and swap the shock for their choice.....that's what I did.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Give TF Tuned a call and have a chat with them. They're always pretty helpful and should be able to help.

01373-826 800

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the medium dampening shock and weight 150 lbs. the shock needs a bit less of high speed
    dampening. did the fork mod posted a few months back and it is real nice. only
    took off 6mm of the compression rod and used 5 wt synthetic fork oil.
    Mitch
    Boise

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks everyone. I'll get it done down to Medium.

Cheers

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006

sorry for late reply, but....

Hi All,
    I have same issue w/ overly high comp damping on an RP23 (also high setting). I live in Australia and I don't think there is anyone who does tuning on these shocks here; is it something that can be done "at home"? I have custom valved my '08 marz fork, so not a total numbskull. Love to hear your suggestions, and also ride reports on post-tuning shocks. Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo the Devo
    Hi All,
    I have same issue w/ overly high comp damping on an RP23 (also high setting). I live in Australia and I don't think there is anyone who does tuning on these shocks here; is it something that can be done "at home"? I have custom valved my '08 marz fork, so not a total numbskull. Love to hear your suggestions, and also ride reports on post-tuning shocks. Cheers, Steve
    The "high" compression setting is a factory setting that can not be adjusted. You have to swap it to a "med" one. I would imagine that there is something internal that can be done to change it but I wouldn't try it.

Contact Ibis.

mtbr member
    eep!
    I ordered my Mojo last weekend and am waiting for my LBS to receive it/build it up... I'm a mere 135/140 lbs and am concerned I need the medium or even low RP23... I'm sure the lbs realized how scrawny I am but nothing was ever said about getting the right shock for my weight. I just assumed all RP23's were the same and I could adjust it to suit my needs. Obviously that's the first thing I'll try but it sounds like I may need to swap mine as well.... damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by okay_player
    eep!
    I ordered my Mojo last weekend and am waiting for my LBS to receive it/build it up... I'm a mere 135/140 lbs and am concerned I need the medium or even low RP23... I'm sure the lbs realized how scrawny I am but nothing was ever said about getting the right shock for my weight. I just assumed all RP23's were the same and I could adjust it to suit my needs. Obviously that's the first thing I'll try but it sounds like I may need to swap mine as well.... damnit.
    You may get it with the Med compression already. I have never heard of anyone using the low setting. You might want to call Ibis and get their opinion though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi All,
    Dirtworks will alter it for you for $100 I believe. Give them a call to see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi All,
    I am based in New Zealand, and approached Push in the US about tuning my RP23. They won't do it for any non-residents, but they did say that they were very close to announcing an Australian Push agency. This was a month ago, and I haven't heard anything since.
    Still pretty keen to get the shock worked...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slysi
    I am based in New Zealand, and approached Push in the US about tuning my RP23. They won't do it for any non-residents, but they did say that they were very close to announcing an Australian Push agency. This was a month ago, and I haven't heard anything since.
    Still pretty keen to get the shock worked...
    Let us know when you hear about an Australian Push agency - I'd certainly be interested in tuning my RP23.

It's the axle
    Here's something I don't think many people realize. The rebound adjustment definitely affects the compression. When I dial up the rebound, the compression also adjusts upward. With rebound all the way up, even in the 1 position, I'm too light for this medium shock. I'm riding the bike with rebound at the first or second notch, all the time except when flying and not wanting to nose dive off a mogul. In 3, it's like a hardtail. 3 with rebound set all the way up really is too much compression for someone my weight (135 pounds).

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know what all of this talk about high and medium compression is all about. For an RP23 on a Mojo, there is no reason to be running ANYTHING other than a low compression tune for the RP23. If you are on a medium or high compression shock then you are missing out on traction that you could have. Of course, its still going to be as good as any other bike running the medium and high tune, but don't you want to feel what its like to ride it as good as it can get?
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

It's the axle
    Thanks! It's really nice to have you guys watching this forum.

I'll be changing out my medium. With glee!

Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    I don't know what all of this talk about high and medium compression is all about. For an RP23 on a Mojo, there is no reason to be running ANYTHING other than a low compression tune for the RP23. If you are on a medium or high compression shock then you are missing out on traction that you could have. Of course, its still going to be as good as any other bike running the medium and high tune, but don't you want to feel what its like to ride it as good as it can get?
    I think that is the very first time I have heard someone say that it should be "low". Most bikes were spec'd with "high" and it was recommended that maybe "med" was better for lighter riders (~150ish). Of course, the recommendation didn't come from either Ibis specifically, but this is very curious because I'm pretty sure that you're the only person ever to recommend "low" and coming from the person who designed the suspension, I'm sure this will rattle a few cages. It definitely makes me think about swapping it out ASAP.

flow where ever you go
    hmmmmm...so low is best. Good to know. I always thought low compression RP23 made more technical sense with DW Link and was always puzzled why Mojos ship with "high". I did switch to a medium compression when Hans offered. The biggest noticeable difference it made was using all the travel.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Unfortunately this is what came with the bike. If this is the case, then either Ibis or Fox dropped the ball. Mine was a medium. Perhaps the 09 RP23 will be a better shock for the Mojo, as it is rumored to be improved and works better on the Mojo. I had some problems with mine, that a high volume sleeve and more air pressure, made it suitable for me(heavier rider).
    [size=4]Don[/size]

It's the axle
    Hmmmm...

There does not seem to be a low compression RP23. I searched and called Fox and Ibis.

Supposedly there might be one in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    Hmmmm...

There does not seem to be a low compression RP23. I searched and called Fox and Ibis.

Supposedly there might be one in 2009.

That is weird since the markings on the RP23 would imply that there is/should be a "low". Leave it up to FOX to make a "fictional" product

In reality...I guess we have "low"....as compared to the only other option, "high". I guess for '09, there should be new markings: High, Low, and "New for '09...LOWER!!!".

But I swore that my buddies '08 Spot has a "low" compression RP23HV. Seems like Titus has Low compression shocks too. But I do know that FOX has custom designed shocks for certain brands.....maybe that's why there are some lurking around. Just can't get them for the Mojo?

holding back the darkness
    Just to throw this out there again.....
    PUSH can do pretty much whatever you want to the shock.... and have a custom tune for the Mojo (DW-specific) with specifically adjusted compression damping. Works great. Love it.
    **** censorship

It's the axle
    Keyword- OEM. Fox makes these for their clients. Not for customers.

I think Ventana also uses the low RP23.

Push. That's the easiest solution. A hundred bucks. But in all actuality, I'm very happy with my shock. I just want the normal riding adjustments to be in it's midrange.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast