Lightly salted

Fox polymer shock bushings, Is it just me or?

I just had my first ride on the new fox polymer shock bushings and I don't know if it was the new gear placebo effect or not. Small bump and high speed chatter felt noticably better than with the older du bushings. This was on the same rp23 kashima shock on my hd 160, only diffrence was the new polymer bushings. I left the psi on the shock the same, but had to add 1 more click of rebound damping/slower. Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed the same?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I hope your not crazy. Good to hear that the new setup offers increased performance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Please do tell more about those bushing... did they replace the steal mount point with a polymer version ? wonder how those compare to RWC needle bearings

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    Please do tell more about those bushing... did they replace the steal mount point with a polymer version ? wonder how those compare to RWC needle bearings
    The polymer bushings are new 2013 mounting hardware for fox shocks. They replace the metal du bushing thats pressed into the shock eyelet and also the mounting reducers. They were easy to replace since I already own a du bushing press tool. I've owned RWC needle bearings on 2 other bikes and these new plolymer bushing have more friction than the RWC but will probably hold up better over time since it is a more simple design with less parts to foul.
    Fox claims the new polymer will out last the old metal du bushing 10 times over and also have half the rotating friction of the metal du bushings.

2013 FOX Suspension CTD Damper - First Ride - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Did you apply any lube to the bushings?

mtbr member
    So is fox stocking them now, do you have the part numbers.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman View Post
    So is fox stocking them now, do you have the part numbers.

Fox has them in stock, and they have the mojo specs on file. I ordered some today since I was already ordering some other parts.

-D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    Fox has them in stock, and they have the mojo specs on file. I ordered some today since I was already ordering some other parts.

-D
    is there a FOX online store, or do you need to call Fox? Or did you order via LBS?

More Torque
    I was already on the phone with them, so I ordered them direct. I don't believe you can order online directly from Fox. If you want to place an online order, I'd say to get the RWC needle bearings for the swingarm end. Since they started offering multiple tolerance sleeves (or pins?), folks seem to be having good luck with them.

-D

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Does the bushing set replace the upper and lower shock mounting hardware? Do the existing bolts still work? I can't see how it'll work from the picture... Any enlightenment would be appreciated

Thanks!

Lightly salted
    The new polymer bushing replaces the old du bushing and mounting hardware and you use it with existing shock bolts. Just call fox and order direct and they can give you any details your looking for. It's a very simple upgrade. I spent 10 minutes for front and rear shock bushing swap. I already had a du press tool to remove the old du bushing and I pressed in new ones by hand. Here's a picture of the rear bushing/reducer installed on the bike.

Last edited by fuenstock; 08-01-2012 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is there somewhere online that I can buy the fox polymer shock bushings. I see it on there website but don't see anyway to buy it or add to cart.

Thanks

SIngletrack Mind
    OK, you and MBA made me do it. Called up Fox and ordered up for my Pivot Mach 4. $32 for bushings (one set each end) plus tax and shipping. Could be pure wankery, but hey - that's half the fun.

Now, hoping my aluminum bushings are new enough that I can simply press them out with my fingers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

No good 2013 Fox DU Bushings

I found that: these 2013 Fox DU bushings are junk. Too much play in the whole system. Put them on my 2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO that is one month old. I machined some new bushings with tighter tolerances and still had play. Switched to the needle bearing system from RWC. I have used them on my 2006 Titus Racer X with no problems, just grease them one a year..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    subscribed - interested to hear if a consensus develops on whether this is a worthwhile upgrade.

What is the required tool to replace the bushings?

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by jet9rdopilot View Post
    I found that: these 2013 Fox DU bushings are junk. Too much play in the whole system. Put them on my 2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO that is one month old. I machined some new bushings with tighter tolerances and still had play. Switched to the needle bearing system from RWC. I have used them on my 2006 Titus Racer X with no problems, just grease them one a year..
    Strange that you had play in the new bushings? They have been out for a while and are on all the new ctd rear shocks, and I don't think I have heard of any complaints about them. I have the 2013 polymer bushings on 3 bikes and don't have any play in them. They feel just as solid as the old style bushings, but with less resistance. I did have to retune the rear suspension after I installed the new bushings. Added a couple psi and slowed the rebound by 1 click. I have over 300 miles on my HD since I installed them and they still feel like new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

No good 2012 Fox DU bushings

I emailed Niner and they know about this problem and Fox will not acknowledge this nor come up with a solution like asking me to send them back for investigation. The play is between the bolt and bushing. Tried wrapping the bolt with Teflon tape to take up the play but when you go through the frame/link members you sort of defeat the purpose

I have seen where people have mounted a dial indicator to the frame to measure free play, but have not come up with a way to do this. We do free play checks on flight control surfaces on aircraft. You need a force to apply in a plus/minus direction to not compress the shock.

If you put the bolt in the shock eyelets and wiggle it you can see and feel a couple thousandths play. Like I said I went with the RWS system and have no play.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just get the RWC bearings. Way lower friction than even the new bushings and likely to last longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    does anyone know how to remove the new low friction buches? it says toolless but struggled really badly this morning to try! feel as though i would damage them!
    Last edited by Biggwhit; 12-16-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: slow iphone, plenty of mistakes

mtbr member
    RWC were shot after 5 rides for me! Worst buy I have ever made for my bike.

If I lifted the seat there was a noticeable clunking from all the play they developed.

Went back to standard Fox ones and they have been fine ever since.

mtbr member
    I emailed Niner and they know about this problem and Fox will not acknowledge this nor come up with a solution like asking me to send them back for investigation. The play is between the bolt and bushing. Tried wrapping the bolt with Teflon tape to take up the play but when you go through the frame/link members you sort of defeat the purpose
    Maybe just got a bad set? what did Niner say the problem was. As for the diametrical clearance between the bolt and pin, that's the way that it's supposed to be. You could put a bolt half the diameter in there if it produced the proper tension on the outside faces of the axle pin/frame interference.

If there's vertical play in the mount and the kit isn't defective than I would suggest tightening the frame bolt.

Darren

mtbr member
    I had the original DU bushing making crazy loud clunking sounds to the point I had fore/aft play in my shock. So I contacted my LBS about the new Fox DU and at the time it was on backorder for three months. That was four months ago, I couldn't wait so I contacted Chris and RWC and ordered the needle bearing system for my bike. Had them in three days and installed a day later, great service! Tight fit and great package, it comes with three roller inserts to choose from that slide into the needle bearing. Still after this I still have an even louder clunking when I hit even medium sized bumps. No fore/aft play that I can tell, broke it down, cleaned, lubed with heavier silicone/Teflon grease, etc... to no avail...still clunky. So, my new style Fox DU Bushings came in about a month ago, I'm so frustrated by that loud clunking that I'm going to pull the RWC system and install the Fox system. I'll report my findings. Question though, since I have to have my LBS press out the needle bearing, does the new bushing need to be pressed back in with a tool or does it just slide in? Thanks
    Last edited by Cutbert; 04-03-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member
    Do Not apply lube to these bushings, install DRY

mtbr member
    So I had the LBS press out my RWC needle bearing, and with slight pressure press in the new Fox bushing. Smooth action, no play can't wait for tomorrow's ride. Keep in mind, this is NOT an off the self item, every bike has a different setup, call Fox to get yours.

mtbr member
    Okay, here I am, big mouth and all to let you know I'm a dingleberry. I found the clunking sound, it had nothing to do with the new DU Bushing or the RWC Needle Bearing kit installed. Both products are outstanding, I recommend them both!
    Why am I a DB? Because the clunking came from the EVO link main pivot bearing, damn thing was dry and rusted! So any pivoting and this aluminum frame made one hell of a clunking sound to resemble the old DU Bushing wearing out. So when this new Fox Bushing wears out I'll be re-installing my RWC Needle Bearing kit. Apologies to all for my mis-information and rambling.