mtbr member

Good job! Fox Float X2 w/climb switch on new Mojo 3 - Good idea?

Hi, Everyone - I have a new Mojo 3 on order and am considering swapping the shock to a Float X2 w/climb switch.

Looking for pros/cons to making the swap. I understand there's a cost and weight penalty. But, more looking for info on performance differences, as compared to the DPS Evol. I'm a heavier rider (225 lbs, ready to ride) and it was suggested to me the X2 may be a better choice.

The bike will be used in the Midwest. About 90% general trail riding and 10% "lite" enduro/bike park. Any jumps/drops will be small/moderate.

The bike will also probably make a couple trips out west during it's useful life.

What do you think - yay or nay?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've been contemplating putting a Fox Float X2 on my Mojo 3 also.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've been contemplating trying one of the X2's on the Mojo 3 also. Probably a bit overkill, but...

Well Biked
    I can only compare it to the CC Inline. Only having 3 rides on it so far I can it seems to separate itself out from the inline shocks when hitting chunk. So I's say its worth the investment if your everyday riding is fairly aggressive, chunky, or your trying to push your riding into that territory.

Are you sure its an option for a 130mm bike?

Ride On!
    Question, have you ridden a Mojo 3 with the DPS Evol? I have one on my Ripley LS and it is a great shock, good with both the small stuff and large hits. I rarely feel it bottom out, which is partly due to the bikes overall design. If I were you, I would run it by the crew over at Ibis. I would trust that they would give you an honest opinion.

Good Review: FOX Factory Series Float DPS Shock - Review - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    I emailed Ibis before I posted this thread. Guessing it was a busy day over there.

The response back was, "at 225 lbs, the X2 would be a good shock for you."

Was hoping to get some additional thoughts/opinions here.

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    I emailed Ibis before I posted this thread. Guessing it was a busy day over there.

The response back was, "at 225 lbs, the X2 would be a good shock for you."

Was hoping to get some additional thoughts/opinions here.
    Cool, they're really good at getting back to folks. FWIW I weigh 245lbs. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong, good luck

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I am contemplating the same question. I have been advised the X2 is probably too much shock for me, as I am only a moderately aggressive rider and don't do big drops (I'm old, dangit), and that I should check out the Float X

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried this yet? Gearing up for the 2017 season and considering this swap again.

I've not had good luck with the EVOL. Can't find the sweet spot between too much sag and the rear feeling to firm and taut. I'm guessing it's because I'm a heavy rider at 225lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone tried this yet? Gearing up for the 2017 season and considering this swap again.

I've not had good luck with the EVOL. Can't find the sweet spot between too much sag and the rear feeling to firm and taut. I'm guessing it's because I'm a heavy rider at 225lbs.
    I think spending money and a Custom tune would be better- like Avalanche or Push
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I think spending money and a Custom tune would be better- like Avalanche or Push
    I talked to Push a few weeks ago and they don't offer anything that would help. I'll see what Avalanche has to say.

Anyone else try the Float X2 (or Float X)?

shins meet handlebar.
    I actually emailed Ibis with this same question last week. They, in turn, emailed Fox about it. Here's the response I got:

Is the X2 compatible with the Mojo 3, and if so, can it be optimized to the bike?
    Yes, he can install an aftermarket Float X2 and be fine. Ibis didnít specifically test this damper on the Mojo 3 but it works. Mount the shock and add or remove air volume spacers as needed to suit individual riding style. The stock AM damper 7.875x2.0 comes delivered with 2 spacers installed. Thatís a good starting point. Max volume reduction in that size is 4 spacers Ė but you shouldnít have to go that far. Iíd guess that 2 or 3 spacers is where most people would end up with that bike.
    Fear is the mind-killer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I talked to Push a few weeks ago and they don't offer anything that would help. I'll see what Avalanche has to say.

Anyone else try the Float X2 (or Float X)?
    I just sold my CTD from Craig that I had on my Mojo3. Based on the suspension, Craig recommends a smaller volume shock.
    I'm 200 lbs no gear.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Upfront warning that I have not ridden any of these shocks on the M3. With that out of the way, I have run an Fox Inline, Float X and X2 on the same bike. The inline shock is there just to minimize weight. It does fine with a single hit, but anything rough overheats the shock and causes spiking. Trying to build the lightest Mojo3 ever, it is your shock. Float X is a huge improvement over the standard shock. Much more controlled especially if you are going to push the bike at all. It does still provide a great pedalling platform and strikes a good balance between climbing and descending. Drawback is that with the limited adjustability it will be harder to dial in for riders outside the "standard" weight range of 160-190 lbs. Enter the X2 which pushes into the gravity spectrum and will transform the bike. As the owner of a Push 11/6 I would honestly say that I don't see a difference between the two. It delivers a very supple ride that is also incredibly controlled end stroke with the ability to dial in every part of the travel.

So how does it break down? If you are an XC rider and this is your "long travel" bike stick with the stock setup. It will provide the lightest/most racy setup. If you want it to be your "do it all" bike the Float X is probably the best option. It will maintain the original feel of the bike, but extend the envelope on the DH side. Finally if you are a gravity oriented rider and this is your short travel bike get the X2. It is going to give the bike the quality of travel that you see in 160 bikes and will also allow heavier and lighter riders to dial the suspension in much better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    If you want it to be your "do it all" bike the Float X is probably the best option. It will maintain the original feel of the bike, but extend the envelope on the DH side.
    As usual, I'd say Salespunk has really nailed it here.

I don't have a Mojo 3 but I do own a Fox X, and Salespunk's description is bang on. An absolute terrific trail bike shock. It will still give you that lively feel but offers more composure.

I would think it's a better match for the type of bike the Mojo 3 is, as compared to the X2

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Upfront warning that I have not ridden any of these shocks on the M3. With that out of the way, I have run an Fox Inline, Float X and X2 on the same bike. The inline shock is there just to minimize weight. It does fine with a single hit, but anything rough overheats the shock and causes spiking. Trying to build the lightest Mojo3 ever, it is your shock. Float X is a huge improvement over the standard shock. .
    Thanks dood for spending my money

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Thanks dood for spending my money
    Happy to help!

mtbr member
    Assuming a rider can get both set up correctly, what's the downside of choosing a X2 over a Float X for the Mojo 3?

Too Much Fun
    Assuming a rider can get both set up correctly, what's the downside of choosing a X2 over a Float X for the Mojo 3?
    Weight? And knowing that you should be riding an HD3 with an X2...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I saw the shop I bought my bike from is running an x2 on his mojo3 and seems to really like it so far. I am going to keep in touch with them about it as I wouldn't mind an improvement in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    The X2 is an amazing shock. Seems that low and high speed damping circuits are very well separated. Meaning you can dial in a very supportive platform for low speed and smooth riding, but it totally opens up when things get fast and chunky and then it feels like a DH shock.

That said, unless you are riding some real AM chop, its not going to be worth it. Like buying a Porsche to drive to the corner store for milk. Or, another way, unless you have some fast, choppy, bigger hit stuff that lets the shock open up, it won't feel much different from a more xc/trail oriented shock.

I'd say keep the DPS Evol and sink the money into something into a different upgrade when parts wear out.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    I am going to keep in touch with them about it as I wouldn't mind an improvement in the rear.
    I was just telling my wife the same thing, and she slapped me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    I was just telling my wife the same thing, and she slapped me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Update: I experimented with adding spacers on the standard shock and it's 100x better now. I feel like a dope for not trying this sooner. Bike rides significantly higher while still retaining a supple feel and efficient pedaling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Update: I experimented with adding spacers on the standard shock and it's 100x better now. I feel like a dope for not trying this sooner. Bike rides significantly higher while still retaining a supple feel and efficient pedaling.
    Need more details! haha so is it still as smooth? I want something slightly more supple for small bumps but dont want to loose any big hit absorption.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Need more details! haha so is it still as smooth? I want something slightly more supple for small bumps but dont want to loose any big hit absorption.
    I bought the spacer kit from Fox. Installed the largest spacer that was compatible with my shock. With no spacer installed, I was running about 260 psi. I'm now down to 225 psi and the bike rides better in every way. The bike doesn't wallow in the mid-stroke anymore, which has essentially eliminated the ridiculous amount of pedal strikes I was getting pre-spacer. The pedaling platform is very efficient. The rear feels super supple on small and medium hits and has a nice ramp deep in the travel to prevent bottom-out.

I was blown away by how much difference this made in the feel of the bike. My guess is my ride experience, at 225lbs, is now the same as lighter riders who love the bike straight out of the box.

If this didn't work, I was going to send the shock to Avalanche for a custom tune. But, I'm happy with it as-is and don't see a need for a custom tune or a Float X or X2. I think those shocks could still be a good solution for those who often ride sustained chunk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thats interesting. I am going to have to ask the shop I bought it from what spacer it has in it. I am probably 245 kitted up and I run 235psi. From the sounds of that I might already have that spacer in it. My old bike had a pushed tuned shock and it made a huge difference. It spoiled the crap out of me, my old epiphany had the same travel as the M3, but the m3 doesn't feel quite as plush as i would like compared to my epiphany.