mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Fox 40 ... hrmmmm

After seeing this picture in the HD action thread, I've been wondering what this would be like. I am currently running a 2012 float 160 with an angleset. I would probably lower the fox 40 to 180mm, just to keep the ride height down.
    Has anyone done this? Thoughts? Could be a good way to spend a week at the park without renting/buying a bigger bike...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Jeff Kendall-Weed is known to run a Fox 40 on his HD . . . I *think* I remember him telling me that it had the same A-C height as a Fox Talas 180, but yea why not give him a call and ask him what he thinks of it? I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you. He works at Ibis, just call the main line there and ask for him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    can the 40 be lowered to 180?? Is the weight gain worth the stiffness? I figure at that point go with a 180 VAN and save some weight, Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I would check to see if the HD frame can take the impacts of the rubber stoppers on the side of the headtube area in the event of a high speed off.

Why not run 180mm 36's or Totems? Still plenty stiff, lighter and more versatile... Whilst not as race worthy as a dual crown DH-specific fork a 36 or Totem is still a great all-day park fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My friend is running it @ 200mm, works great in the park. No reason to lower IMO. Obviously, the bike will not climb up that good (if it will at all), but who cares...?

mtbr member
    Surely running 200mm will void your warranty though? I'd also like to see how high the BB would get with 200mm, unless the A2C is the same as a single crown 180mm fork.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    This is why I've been looking for a new-school Dorado forever!

It's got a much lower A2C than other dual-crowns due to its inverted design and throw in the Angleset and you have the perfect Mini-DH bike.
    :: wrenchscience ::

flow where ever you go
    the photo is awesome

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts View Post
    the photo is awesome
    Agree 100%

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Bumpers to frame - hadn't thought about that
    180mm Totem/66/Float/Talas - I've ridden a totem in the past, along with a 55 rc3 ti, a talas and a float. None of them compared to the suppleness of the 40. There is just something different about how a 40 feels...
    New school dorado - that would be awesome as well. carbon on carbon is always an win in my books

mtbr member
    Rode a friends Session with a Fox 40. After that if I had the money I'd buy one to put on the HD for park riding. The fork feels amazing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    Rode a friends Session with a Fox 40. After that if I had the money I'd buy one for park riding. The whole bike feels amazing.
    fixed

After riding a Reign X at whistler for week when my DH bike was stolen, I'll never go back to riding all mountain bikes as park bikes on any regular basis. The Reign X was fun as hell, just like the HD. They're both killer jumpers as was shown in the air DH this year, but I can't push them nearly as hard as I can on a full DH bike, even with a Totem up front. I love riding my Glory in the park, even with the same Totem from the RX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinrj View Post
    Bumpers to frame - hadn't thought about that
    180mm Totem/66/Float/Talas - I've ridden a totem in the past, along with a 55 rc3 ti, a talas and a float. None of them compared to the suppleness of the 40. There is just something different about how a 40 feels...
    New school dorado - that would be awesome as well. carbon on carbon is always an win in my books

So I am thinking of getting a fox 40 lowering it to 7 inches and putting on the hd. Rubber bumpers to head tube is a concern? what about some rock or crash where your headtube hits a rock...aint carbon supposed to be impact resistant than aluminum? at least that is why is being touted out there by all the carbon converts and carbon retail frame vendors....aka the big brands and boutiques....so an Ibis guy (jeff) who is very responsive, is running an hd with a 40...i would love to hear more about it.. Jeff, do you have any info you can share...I am not looking to maintain warranty, the hd is almost two years old and I am due for an upgrade to a 12 x 142..i got the 2011 12 x 135...no direct mount ..., if it breaks i will get a new one..but how does she ride..did you lower travel? did you put on an angleset?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    On an SL so out of the question for me....but hoping somebody tosses one of the new DVO Emeralds on an HD!

EXCLUSIVE: DVO Emerald Inverted DH Fork - First Look - Pinkbike