mtbr member

Formula K24 and my new Ibis stem :)

Anyone running K24's on there Mojo's? I need to get a new set of brakes and was thinking of Juicy7 and the K24's... I find that the harder I push the mojo the better the suspension works... so will need decent stoppers to bring me back to impulse speed.

Oh... and i got my new stem today.. nice and light.. but now i need to wait for a bar
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got Formual Puro's - more or even less the same

They are on my Nomad until the SL arrives and are absolutely superb, well made, easy to set up, very light, progressive and powerful - what more do you want - Just my SL

mtbr member
    mmmm... the puros look nice..but abit $$ after all the $$$$$$$$$$$ i have thrown at my bike... and i might be out on the streets if my wife found out

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How much does the Ibis stem weigh?

Thanks
    Jever

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I have it that the stem weighs 120g.

mtbr member
    yea sounds about right..115 without bolts... 100m one

mtbr member
    i just put the k24s on my mojo. coming from hayes hfx-9s it's a huge increase in braking power (180 in front)...there's only 1 small gripe: the clamps on the k24s are thick, so my sram x9 shifters are angled way more inwards toward the rider instead of laying more flush with the master cylinder. don't know if the 1 piece clamp thingy avid and formula sell help with the angle a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cool, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Formula fan plus crapacount.

Can't give more of a for formula, ive got full carbon and ti pura's on my new mojo and bianco's on my other 2 bikes. The biancos are all most the same as the 24 only with a better finish ie polished cost more, power wise pretty much the same my riding buddy use's them and says there great.
    Mini review. Easy set up and bleed,great power and modulation even at 230pounds in weight a 180 rotor in front and 160 rear stops me with no problems what so ever, the 200mm rotor on my nomad dam near put me over the bars the first ride on a fast desent truly awrsome brakes.
    Message for crapaccount if you are running 07 X9/Xo shifters formula do a one piece braket to place shifter and brake lever together in a one piece combination reducing bar space to one clamp. Ive done this on all my bikes, works out much neater anbd saves space etc any how hope this all helps bat.

mtbr member
    I just saw the Ibis stems in LBS.Sweet looking and not cheap $49.95.
    milesW

mtbr member
    I am sure the formula clamp will sort that out...
    I use grip shift so I should be ok those.

mtbr member
    miles Wadswoth... here in SA the ibis was one of the cheapest stems i could get.. wanted a Thomson but they are way expensive. I am happy with the Ibis one..looks awesome.. and now I can take my Titus stem off my ibis

mtbr member

Formula

I had before Hayes brakes and bought Formula oro.It was a huge difference.Formula has good stopping power and more important that this brake survive long descends and that is my selection between good and bad brake.

braco

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Crapaccount,
    The 1 piece clamp will help your angle problem with the shifter alignment. Thats exactly why we made them

Cheers,

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA

mtbr member
    Mr Formula..
    I have been looking at the weights you have posted on the website and would like to ask a question... Why would one take the K24 or Bianco over the K18 if they weight the same? doe the FC somthing feature really add so much more value?
    Look I know I am getting formulas... i just cant decided on the right one for me...they all the same... yet then not.

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    DH_WP,
    True, the 3 brakes do weight about the same, but there are other important factors.

When you move up from the K18 to the K24, aside from the FCS (which for me is a really key feature), you also get nickel plated fasteners as opposed to Zinc plated. The different plating improves corrosion resistance and looks much better.

The Oro Bianco also has a few additional features:
    1. Sintered pads, as opposed to semi-metallic on the K18/K24. Sintered pads add additional expense. But last longer, perform better in the wet, and dont fade as soon.
    2. A forged 1 finger lever blade, as opposed to the cast blade on the K18/K24. Forging the lever blade is stronger and costs more.
    3. Polish finish with clear coating and laser etched logos as opposed to standard powdercoating with stamped logos. This finish alone is very expensive and the laser etching increases the cost as well. But it sure does look good. Also, then you can tell all your friends that your brakes were hand polished! By an Italian! Not to mention the lasers!

Give a ring in the office if you have any other questions or if you want to further discuss the differences between the models....or the Lasers, Italians, Espresso and hand polishing!

Cheers,

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA

mtbr member
    Chris thanks for the info... Now I just need to wait and see what the pricing comes out to here in SA, What I would like to to do is get the Bianco"love the polished look" and add a carbon lever to that.

Ciao

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FAO Chris @ Formula, what pads are the Oro Puro brakes supplied with? sintered or organic or ??

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    The Oro Puro comes with an organic pad material and an alloy backing plate to reduce weight.

Cheers,

Chris

mtbr member
    I'm using a set of Oro Puro's on my Mojo and have no complaints! As a bonus, the carbon fiber blades and kevlar brake lines are a perfect match with nude carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula Brake USA
    Hey Crapaccount,
    The 1 piece clamp will help your angle problem with the shifter alignment. Thats exactly why we made them
    I assume the Avid Matchmaker product would work too? the pair is like $25 and has angle adjustments...not to diss the formula product, but i already have an ibis and some k24s so trying to save $$$$ where i can!

Founder: Dirty3hirties

You shoulda

Quote Originally Posted by crapaccount
    I assume the Avid Matchmaker product would work too? the pair is like $25 and has angle adjustments...not to diss the formula product, but i already have an ibis and some k24s so trying to save $$$$ where i can!
    listened to me...problem solved. Juicy's. I just put mine on. SWEEEEEEEEEET! I'm surprised you actually put them on yourself knowing how mechanically un-inclined you are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    listened to me...problem solved. Juicy's. I just put mine on. SWEEEEEEEEEET! I'm surprised you actually put them on yourself knowing how mechanically un-inclined you are.
    goes to show how sweet the formulas are if even i could set them up. but if u want a braking power battle, u best go to the brake forum.

mtbr member
    The kevlar Oro Puro lines and goldish finish look velly velly nice w the Guiness foam paint. I also have XO / lever issues and will try out the formula mounting plate. I have noticed on my brakes it takes allot of lever pull before pad engagement. I boughta brake bleed kit from pp and plan to cut the front line to size and bleed front and rear to hopefully tighten things up.

mtbr member
    Wonder where I can pickup the formula brake shifter combo plate dealie?