mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fork Upgrade Advice

I recently built up a Mojo SL and to save some money on the build I moved a bunch of my parts from my Intense 5.5 included a 2006 Pushed Fox Talas (Max 130mm). I really love my bike but have been thinking that an adjustable 150 with a QR15/Maxle would be a great upgrade. I like the 130 for most of my riding but the option to go to a 150 on the down hills would be nice. I looked researched the options and decided that a Pushed Revelation Team U Turn would be perfect.

So that's the background. Since my funding is low right now I would like to get opinions on if the difference between 130 and 150 is really noticeable since I am only planning on running the longer travel on the downhills/maybe some single track. Also does the Maxle/QR15 make a noticeable difference in stiffness and what does that translate to....IE: your front end tracks better etc. I am ~200 in riding gear so I am no light weight. Also if I didn't to upgrade are there other decent options for getting a stiffer front end. (King Fun Bolts or something like that)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cheers!

PS: I additional question. I have a older King front disc hub. It's the version with the 6 bolt adapter. Can I convert that to handle the 20 Maxle or do I need a new hub.

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009
    can't comment on the stiffness of the maxel Revelations, but the 15QR TALAS is stiff for me at 185lbs riding weight.

I DEFINATELY like riding at 130mm much more than 150mm, but I do mixed XC and light AM. It gives snappier steering and better position for most of my riding. I do switch my TALAS to 150mm for long down hills only, as I feel like the slower steering doesn't make up for the extra travel on tight single track IMHO. I can't remember what the Revelation's lowest setting is, but I use the 110mm sparingly for really steep climbs to help keep the front wheel down.

Overall I love having the option to switch between travel setting, and spend as vast majority of my time in 130mm.

Good luck with your decision...

Note: Colorado front range, mtn, western slope, and Utah riding (in that order)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Get the Revelation. I bought mine already Pushed, direct from Push. (and save a lot of money) I could not be happier. It's stiffer, tracks better, less break dive, gets full travel, and is just more confidence inspiring.

I had a fox float 150 and I'm glad I didn't waste the money to have it Pushed instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endo22
    Get the Revelation. I bought mine already Pushed, direct from Push. (and save a lot of money) I could not be happier. It's stiffer, tracks better, less break dive, gets full travel, and is just more confidence inspiring.

I had a fox float 150 and I'm glad I didn't waste the money to have it Pushed instead.
    Did you have the 2010 Float or the 09? I hear the 2010 revisions really have helped the Fox forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    2009 float. If you search these forums, you will find many complaints that even the new 2010 floats with the new "fit" cartridges will not come close to full travel with correct sag.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a 2010 FLOAT 140RLC QR15 and it is the best fork I have had. Replaced my 2008 FLOAT 140 RLC and their is a noticeable difference in overall control and small to medium size bump performance. Best way to go in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endo22
    2009 float. If you search these forums, you will find many complaints that even the new 2010 floats with the new "fit" cartridges will not come close to full travel with correct sag.
    Cant say this %100 but it seems like they changed the air spring and the dampening to make better use of the travel

BTW I have a 2007 Tlalas and its hard to use all the travel, but on ocassion hitting 4 foot drop or just doing something stupid I'll use the full travel, so its not like you can't use it all, its just hard. I'd prefer something more linear myself which is what I'm hoping to get from the new 2010 Fox.