Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel

Fork Question on Mojo.....

Pushed '03 Talas or what?

I have an '03 Hollowpoint that has treated me well these past 4 years, but I've been thinking for while about swapping the frame for a new-and-improved DW-linker. Also, the pivot bearings are coming up for replacement yet again, and I know a couple of them are a serious PITA to replace. All my components are just the way I like them, so I don't want a whole new bike. I was at the Blue Mountain Bike Festival (www.wmba.org) over the weekend and chatted with the IH folks who said naked MKIII frames are sold out for the year. :^( Then, one of my friends pointed out the Briarcliff Bikes booth, where a couple flashy Mojos were hanging out and drawing a crowd. I expected the frame alone to cost more than what I paid for my complete Hollowpoint Team, and when I heard what I was, I realized I could actually own one of these bad boys. BB didn't bring a small, but will arrange a testride for me as early as next weekend.

So, what length fork works best? I have a Pushed '03 Talas which is adjustable up to 125mm travel - too short for a good head angle, or ok? It's tuned for me, so I would just as soon keep it if it won't steepen the head angle too much. If not, what other QR fork do you recommend? At my weight (125lbs), I don't need nor want a thru axle, and I don't want to replace my Chris King front hub. Light weight and supple suspension action for a light rider are most important for me. Anything laterally stiffer than a '00 Sid would be plenty stiff for me. I haven't kept up with the latest fork offerings, so I don't know what's out there. Thanks in advance for your help!

Kathy (still trying to decide what color....)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member

125 mm fork

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    Pushed '03 Talas or what?

I have an '03 Hollowpoint that has treated me well these past 4 years, but I've been thinking for while about swapping the frame for a new-and-improved DW-linker. Also, the pivot bearings are coming up for replacement yet again, and I know a couple of them are a serious PITA to replace. All my components are just the way I like them, so I don't want a whole new bike. I was at the Blue Mountain Bike Festival (www.wmba.org) over the weekend and chatted with the IH folks who said naked MKIII frames are sold out for the year. :^( Then, one of my friends pointed out the Briarcliff Bikes booth, where a couple flashy Mojos were hanging out and drawing a crowd. I expected the frame alone to cost more than what I paid for my complete Hollowpoint Team, and when I heard what I was, I realized I could actually own one of these bad boys. BB didn't bring a small, but will arrange a testride for me as early as next weekend.

So, what length fork works best? I have a Pushed '03 Talas which is adjustable up to 125mm travel - too short for a good head angle, or ok? It's tuned for me, so I would just as soon keep it if it won't steepen the head angle too much. If not, what other QR fork do you recommend? At my weight (125lbs), I don't need nor want a thru axle, and I don't want to replace my Chris King front hub. Light weight and supple suspension action for a light rider are most important for me. Anything laterally stiffer than a '00 Sid would be plenty stiff for me. I haven't kept up with the latest fork offerings, so I don't know what's out there. Thanks in advance for your help!

Kathy (still trying to decide what color....)
    Hello Kathy,

Tom from Ibis writing you. The nominal head tube and seat tube angles for the Mojo are based upon the presumption of using 140 mm travel Fox fork. The head tube and seat tube angles will increase approximately 1 degree for every 20 mm decrease in fork length. So your 125 mm travel fork would increase the head tube and seat tube angles by about 3/4 of a degree. Whether this is good or bad is subjective. Fork trail decreases with the steeper head angle and the steering quickens a little bit. Which generally speaking pushes the bike more towards the cross country end of the spectrum and away from the freeride end. That said, we've run the Mojo with 130 travel forks extensively and thought that the bike rides great that way.

On the plus side, for a smaller rider, the shorter fork also reduces the standover height a little.

Hope this helps. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

www.derbyrims.com
    Many riders prefer the '06 Fox 130mm travel Float shocks on their Mojo’s. You could try your Pushed Talas 125mm before considering a different fork. Your fork will probably work fine for you. Your fork would give the Mojo a 70/74 degree frame.

As I remember the early Hollowpoint has 70/72 degree frame angles. If you get the same size top tube, bars and stem, you could get a layback seat post (seat rail mount behind the tube center) and slide the seat back to keep a familiar handling feel going to the Mojo. You also might like to try the seat a little less back than the Hollowpoint, for easier climbing.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Thanks for the good beta, Tom and Derby. I have a small orange frame on order!

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Keep Riding !!
    I presently have a 2004 125mm Talas fork on my Mojo (XL size) and think the angles etc are just right, although I prefer the more XC side of riding (Trail & Enduro) than DH or Freeride etc.

However soon to be upgraded to a Pace RC41 XCAM with 130mm travel but almost identical axle to crown length

Enjoy your new ride, you'll love it
    Just Ride !