Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fork for Mojo HD

Hi, guys!

Coming soon, I will be a new and proud Ibis Mojo HD owner, but at present, I haven't decided yet all components that I'm going to put in the bike.

In this case, I have a dilemma with the fork. I have the folowing Fox options:

- Fox Float CTD 160 mm
    - Fox Float RC2 160 mm
    - Fox Talas CTD 160 mm

What do you think is the best option for this bike?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well,

For trail riding go with the 34 float ctd(160mm)
    For jumps and DH, go with a 36 float (180mm or 160mm)

I don't think you need the talas at 160mm.

mtbr member

Fork for Mojo HD

Building mine, used last years 36mm float. I rode a demo with the 34mm 160mm talas. Don't need talas, the CTD will be interesting on the rear

Off the back...
    Float 36 RC2 or the 180 TALAS RC2 if you do a lot of steep climbs. I'm not sure of the point of lockout on a 160mm travel fork when you can dial most/all of the bob out with LSC.

mtbr member
    To give you a good answer, we need to know you're riding style and what kind of trails you mostly ride

Weapon of Choice
    Marzocchi 55 Rc3 ti

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    If you're not concerned about a little extra weight the 55 RC3 Ti is awesome and everyone that has a Vengeance Coil swears by them. If you're weight conscious a Bos Deville or Float (talas not necessary) but I think there are better alternatives to fox shocks front and back. I had a Lyrik solo air with the DH damper that I liked too.

mtbr member
    Of the forks you posted the 36 Float RC2 makes the most sense. That being said I personally would be looking at the Lyrik or the Vengance. Do not get a Talas whatever you do. Way too much stiction and no need for it. I am running a 170 Lyrik and it climbs even the steep stuff great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    +1 on avoiding the Talas. After buying my HD with a Talas, I found that the HD climbs just fine with a 160mm fork, so I had no use for the travel reduction feature. So I rebuilt my Talas as a Float, and it is a much more responsive fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have beat the snot out of a lyrik RC2DH solo air for 2 seasons and it's a great fork.

I prefer it in the 160mm setting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No Talas.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does anyone have the 34 Float CTD on the bike? The other option is 36 Float RC2 and i'm not sure which one should i take (-200g vs. RC2 damper)..

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by martinzone View Post
    Does anyone have the 34 Float CTD on the bike? The other option is 36 Float RC2 and i'm not sure which one should i take (-200g vs. RC2 damper)..
    Yes I have it. It's a good fork for trail riding. It will steepen the head angle slightly. Dropper post+ 70mm will fix it).

Mine handled a 2' drop to rocks and roots with no problems at all.

The 36 float RC2 is also a great choice, and if you're into fine tuning the bike , it does have more tuning options( high and low speed compression vs. one dial for compression on the CTD).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    To give you a good answer, we need to know you're riding style and what kind of trails you mostly ride
    You have all the reason... Well, I prefer descending than climbing although I don't practise downhill. Because of the people that I ride with, sometimes I have to climb (they don't like descending) but I would like to increase my descending skills.

Lightly salted
    Of your choices and the fact that your more interested in downhill performance I would get the fox 36mm rc2. If your close to or over 200lbs, thats another reason to go 36mm fork. I have a float 36mm on my HD and don't feel it's heavy or slows me down on the climbs. Another thing to consider is the 36mm forks only come in 20mm axle, while the 34mm forks only come in 15mm axle so If you already have a wheelset that may need to be considered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Of your choices and the fact that your more interested in downhill performance I would get the fox 36mm rc2. If your close to or over 200lbs, thats another reason to go 36mm fork. I have a float 36mm on my HD and don't feel it's heavy or slows me down on the climbs. Another thing to consider is the 36mm forks only come in 20mm axle, while the 34mm forks only come in 15mm axle so If you already have a wheelset that may need to be considered.

Agreed, at 200lbs love the 36, and the extra pound could easily come off of somewhere else...

mtbr member
    It is less than 1/2 lb difference from the 34 to the 36. The HD was designed around a 545-565 mm A2C which is the 36/Lyrik/Vengance forks. It deserves something in that category. If you are going for an HD 140 go for the Fox 34.

mtbr member
    If you're not practicing Downhill riding and you do a lot of climbing and many of your friends are into XC. I would go with the 34 Float CTD. Its lighter, more linear, and the tiny bit shorter axle to crown length will make the bike turn quicker and handle faster. The 36 series are really intended to be ridden very hard, especially the RC2 which has the high speed compression circuit for hucking and very hard nose first landings. The 36 RC2 is going to feel very progressive spring curve and you won't be using as much of the travel. It will be taller and harder to steer, and will be heavier and use a wheel with a heavier hub. The 34 might not be as aggresive than the 36, but it is still quite a good fork and is very stiff, and the spring curve will likely work better for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Fwiw,

If you read Bike magazine's bible of bike tests ( Hans posted it on the forum previously) they review the HD with the 34 CTD.

If you read pink bike.com's review of the HD, they review it with the 36. 160mm.

That might help you make up your mind.

mtbr member
    No, I don't practise downhill, I usually do All mountain and sometimes XC, although what I like to do is descending and I would like to be better doing it (but I repeat, not downhill).

About my weight, I'm 176 lbs (80 kg).

I don't know what has happened in USA according to Fox CTD system, but in my country (Spain), I have read in some forums that this sistem has broken down a lot of times, so I'm worried about the fact of choose this system for my next fork...

mtbr member
    Havent heard of one single problem with the ctd.....

mtbr member

Fork for Mojo HD

I was actually more impressed with the stiffness of the 34, the dampening not so much. I just left it in trail mode. However, I weigh 225 and use a 32 on my SL- so anything seems better. No way would I dick with a 34 when a 36 is only 1/2 lb lighter. Having said that, I'd love to try a 34 on my SL, if the ever make a straight 1-1/8 steerer. Might try the vengeance on the SL but its 1" taller, might chopper it out too much

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Havent heard of one single problem with the ctd.....
    In Spain, a lot of new Fox forks with CTD system have been sended to Warranty Service.

Because of that, I'm worried about this option and I have been thinking in the posibility of choosing the RC2 one, but I don't know if this fork (Float 36 RC2 160 mm) will be too much for me and my skills...

mtbr member
    I think the 34 would be a safe bet. You should go demo a bike with one on it.

mtbr member
    What are you currently riding?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast