Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Smile Fork for Mojo HD 140?

Hi,
    I'm thinking of switching from my regular Mojo from -08 to a Mojo HD 140 since most of my riding is more of the AM variety and not XC.
    But what fork should i go with?
    I'm 6'2/187 cm, 225lb/100kg.
    Don't get big air but like to practice jumping and drop some smaller stuff.
    Thinking of either a Float 150 QR15 or a Talas 150 QR15, but realize there are mote options out there.
    (i'm riding a Talas 140 from -09 on my Mojo)

Thanks for all input i can get.

- Jens

mtbr member
    fox talas 150

mtbr member
    Do you use the talus you have now? Have you looked at x fusion or sr suntour? Cant you just put your current fork on the new frame? .. good job on sticking with Ibis. They have such good customer support. ... why not the 160hd? Are you just feeling like a beefier frame ..

Wait for me!
    I vote 160 Float lowered 20mm, that way you get the 36 series stanchions and the 20mm axle. Or wait for the Float 34 series to be released.

Wait for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens3 View Post
    My current Talas isn't tapered so I can't move it.
    Sure you can, lots of headset options out there to take you from a 1 1/8" straight steer tube to a tapered headtube.

mtbr member
    My current Talas isn't tapered so I can't move it.
    No, i know pretty much nothing about X Fusion (besides it's Lopes choice, thou he gets paid to ride them) Suntour just scares me...
    I just believe that the 160 is too much bike for me. Here it's steep downhill and steep uphill but always pretty short. So 140 should do just fine plus enable me to pedal uphill easier.
    So, yes, pretty much feel like I need a beefier frame. And QR15, which my current fork hasn't.

mtbr member
    150/130 talas trust me. You don't want a 140 as a comprimise.

mtbr member
    IMO--DO not get a talas for float... I have had both and am done with fox.. Im on a float right now(got rid of my talas for a more supple float-- which isnt).. .Im just about to get a new fork for my mojoHD 140.. Ill be going x-fusion or marzocchi.... Marz is supposed to be a really supple ride--- and x-fusion is coming out with some cool 2 stage stuff(able to handle both small fast stutter bumps and big hits too).. Take your time, research and think outside the box... ..

Ps.. x-fusion is going to probably be my next fork.. GL
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Thanks! This is harder then i first thought.

mtbr member
    I could, but i don't want to. The fork is old and i want the stiffer QR15 too. The 34 you say, is it really coming to 26ers? That would be just perfect!

mtbr member
    I could, but i don't want to. The fork is old and i want the stiffer QR15 too. The 34 you say, is it really coming to 26ers? That would be just perfect!
    Yes its coming to the 26, but was told to stay away from the first production run of the new fork when it comes out. Not that I have heard of anything wrong, but you always want a proven item. Get the 2012 150. Its a great fork. If you want another fork thats fine, but if you're running a 140 like me, run a 150 front fork.

mtbr member
    Yes its coming to the 26, but was told to stay away from the first production run of the new fork when it comes out. Not that I have heard of anything wrong, but you always want a proven item. Get the 2012 150. Its a great fork. If you want another fork thats fine, but if you're running a 140 like me, run a 150 front fork.

mtbr member
    Marz 44 150mm RC3 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i have an HD w/a talas and never use it, don't think you'll need it and I do some pretty steep climbs in full 160. My vote is either the float or the Marz 44 (just heard tons of positive things never tried it though)

mtbr member
    if your OK with 32mm stanchions I would look at the RS Rev set at 150mm.

Though I think the best option is one of the new 34mm forks from fox or x-fusion.

Dropshot Champ!
    rockshox revelation 120-150 dual position.

It works out to be a slightly taller axle to crown than a fox 150, so you get a lil bit slacker head tube angle, plus you can flick a switch while riding and get a a sagged 120 for the steeps. I regularly climb upto 25% grade steeps, flick the switch and eat up chunky gnar biscuits.

Unlike the talas, this fork can be setup to become a plush monster of awesome. Feels like baby jesus hugs and pillow fights on clouds! If setup right, you have the option to use all your travel too...something I've never seen a fox capable of. Mine was 3.81lbs.

I probably come off as a fanboy for this rev more often than not, but check one out. It's a fork that lets me do true all mountain. Huge 10,000ft climbing days of steep, loose, shitty climbs, and then with a flick of a switch can handle impressively rocky singletrack, jumps, drops, and steep downhills.

My only gripe is that it's so good, it will show you the flaws in your rear fox rp23.

aka dan51
    I vote for the Revelation or an xfusion.
    My Rev has been rock solid for years, smoothest fork I've ever had.
    Xfusion is looking really good and is on the top of my list for next fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Lightly salted
    I use a dual air Revelation 150 for when I run the HD rear @140. It's a really good fork. Less flex than the fox and for me a better feeling suspension. Setting up the dual air Rev may take a little more work than the single air fox, but it also lets you better tune the fork for your needs. You can also lower the rev 150 to 140 or 130 with internal spacers, it's easy. X-fusion is a good option to. Im very interested in their new 34mm forks.

Too Much Fun

Listen to the Whoop

Quote Originally Posted by whoopwhoop View Post
    I vote 160 Float lowered 20mm, that way you get the 36 series stanchions and the 20mm axle. Or wait for the Float 34 series to be released.
    What he said. I've got an HD 160 (which IMO, pedals just as well up as the 140) and while I'm not a real Fox fan, I think the Float 160's stiffness is the right match for the HD. I'd get the 160 Float and drop it like Whoop mentions.

Or wait for the Fox 34's, which may take a while.

I had a Talas 150 on my SL and missed the stiffness in the front when ripping fast chundery tech stuff. The Float 160 is stiff enough, though I'm not in love with the overall ride of the fork. Still tweaking settings on it.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hani1 View Post
    if your OK with 32mm stanchions I would look at the RS Rev set at 150mm.

Though I think the best option is one of the new 34mm forks from fox or x-fusion.
    x-fusion is not out yet for the 34 I believe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm running float 140 as that's what came off my last bike. Got an hd 140 for the same reasons as you and really happy with set up. Don't need 160 travel but wanted a strong stiff frame Some good deals on 2012 forks as the new range is out soon.

Too Much Fun

I want to believe the RS Rev hype!

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    rockshox revelation 120-150 dual position.
    Ok, I keep hearing how great the RS Rev forks are, but I am completely confused by the model lineup. I think I counted 12 different Revelation forks at one point. Can you post a URL for YOUR fork from somewhere like Universal Cycles so I know exactly which one you're talking about... Thanks!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by recleaver View Post
    i have an HD w/a talas and never use it, don't think you'll need it and I do some pretty steep climbs in full 160. My vote is either the float or the Marz 44 (just heard tons of positive things never tried it though)
    i stopped using the talas .. changed the geometry to much and confused my simple brain....

Marzocchi 44 RC3 Titanium Fork

fox may be a great product but they have fanboy prices and if your not a fan boy buy somthing else.... like suntour then let everyone else know if they suck or not

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Ok, I keep hearing how great the RS Rev forks are, but I am completely confused by the model lineup. I think I counted 12 different Revelation forks at one point. Can you post a URL for YOUR fork from somewhere like Universal Cycles so I know exactly which one you're talking about... Thanks!
    You would probably want the Revelation RLT TI 150mm fork. Dual air is like the fox float, and the dual position is like the talas. I bought the dual air since I never end up using the travel adjust features. Then you would just pick what steerer and what axle option you want. They come in 1-1/8 " or tapered steerer, and 9mm, 15mm or 20mm. You can also lower them from 150mm to 140mm and 130 via the internal spacers, just like the fox forks.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    I have a 2011 rockshox revelation rlt-ti 120-150 dual position with a straight 1 1/8th steerer.

Longest fork name ever.

RockShox Revelation RLT Ti Dual Position Air 150mm Disc Black/Silver NIB! 710845642913 | eBay

blackbox damper and dual flow rebound are added bonuses.

I specifically went for the dual position because the rockshox forks have a slightly higher axle to crown height than fox forks, and even on a fox 140, I was having problems keeping the tire down on steep climbs. With it at a taller 150, the option to kick it down to a sagged 120 really lets me climb steeper and steeper stuff with ease.

The dual position is a solo air ( which from my understanding) adds air to both positive and negative chambers internally through one shrader valve on the top fork leg. Therefore, you can't externally adjust negative chamber pressure. I have other dual air rockshox forks, including a reba world cup that I enjoy tinkering with different +- air combos. When I originally upgraded to the dual position revelation (solo air), I thought I would miss out on this tinkering, but the setup has been flawless and perfect. Truly impressive.

If you don't climb steep stuff, you'd probably be fine with just the regular version.

hope that all made sense, been drinking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast