mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Fork Help Mojo SL

I am currently running a fox 32 with 140mm travel with no extra features besides lockout and rebound.

I want to get a fork with maybe 150 adjustable travel, 34 stansions, and a 15mm axle, but cannot find anything on fox's website that fits this criteria.

does anyone have suggestions other than fox for my Mojo SL?

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've been running the DT Swiss EXC 150mm, 15mm TA,
    on my SL the last couple of years and its been excellent - no issue's. I've run Fox 140 Float & Talas 150 and I hated both of them. The DT is way plusher, actually gets full travel and is stiffer. One thing about Fox is if they claim their fork gets 140mm of travel, thats code for 130mm max. travel.
    CRC has DT Swiss EXM 150mm LCII, 15mm TA, 1 1/8" steer on sale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thanks for your input! Which one at chain reaction are you talking about? I get 3 results when i type that in to CRC

thanks

mtbr member
    You might also consider the Magura TS8 forks, which are reportedly very very stiff for a 32mm chassis.

Also, I'll put a plug in for the 2013 X-Fusion Velvet 140 w/ 15mm QR I just put on my Mojo SL. It replaced a 150mm RS Revelation XX which did not have enough arch clearance to run the new fattyfat 650b tires. The Revelation (which is on the stiff side of the 32mm spectrum IME) is A LITTLE stiffer than the Velvet, but otherwise the Velvet wins. Their midvalve damper is both more supple off the top than the XX damper (which admittedly is not that hard to achieve), but it also rides higher in the travel, leaving more travel available for bigger hits.... in other words it feels like a longer travel fork on big hits even though the claimed travel is 10mm shorter.... and it's got MEGA tire clearance for 650b compatibility. Best part... with Universal Cycles' 15% discount it only cost about $350, which is why it won out over the Magura with a 2x higher price.

I don't think anyone is offering a 34mm fork with the straight 1.125" steerer that your bike calls for.

mtbr member
    Also, I'd add that the increased offset (42mm) of the Velvet makes for nicer handling if you intend to try a 650b front wheel.... and if you're not, YOU SHOULD BE!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dabuttrumpet View Post
    thanks for your input! Which one at chain reaction are you talking about? I get 3 results when i type that in to CRC

thanks
    DT Swiss EXM 150 LCII Forks - 15mm RWS 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    The other two that come up are likely 9mm QR and/or 1.5" taper steer tube which won't work on the SL.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Fork Help Mojo SL

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Also, I'd add that the increased offset (42mm) of the Velvet makes for nicer handling if you intend to try a 650b front wheel.... and if you're not, YOU SHOULD BE!
    IME/O 42mm of offset is still too little.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Not having a tapered heatube screws us out of some great options like the new Pike and the X-Fusion Slant. Maybe a good way to justify a new frame? LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ha, too bad this is a new frame for me

Dropshot Champ!
    the revelation chassis is damn good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've recently replaced my worn-out 140mm Fox Talas with a DT Swiss EXM 150mm LCII, 15mm TA, 1 1/8" bought from CRC in their sale. This fork is way plusher and than the Fox and provides better stiffer control. I like the Launch Control system as it automatically releases the height adjustment is you hit somethng, therefore no need to remember to adjust the travel back to full once you start descending. However keep in mind LCII is more a climbing aid than a full travel adjustment system. When in 150mm mode i would agree with the above posts - you actually get the full 150mm of travel. Best of all they are the sweetest looking forks you can put on an SL!

Also my friend has just replaced his SL's Fox forks with a set of Revelations - rates them very highly, they are also on sale on CRC

mtbr member

Fork Help Mojo SL

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    IME/O 42mm of offset is still too little.
    I like it a lot w/ a 67.7 degree approximate HA....much better than the 38-40mm on some prior forks, but I'm very curious about the new forks in the 44 to 46 range....seems like the right move with 67 deg being the new 71 deg, if you know what I mean. I was kinda surprised to see the new Pike at 42, especially for 6" AM 27.5ers with slack angles.

I agree with earlier comment that the revelation is an awesome platform....best all around in many ways, IMO. For example, it is both stiffer and lighter than the Velvet, even with remote, longer steerer, and 10mm more travel. Where they blew it when they migrated from the original Pike/Rev platform to the 2010+ Revelation was reducing the offset and tire clearance. But on an SL, with no intention to run 650b (mistake!) it handles well with 150mm travel and 40mm offset. Just don't make the same mistake I did and get the XX damper....not nearly as nice as the dual circuit stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    DT Swiss EXM 150 LCII Forks - 15mm RWS 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    The other two that come up are likely 9mm QR and/or 1.5" taper steer tube which won't work on the SL.
    If I were to get this fork, how easy is it to service. Is there a place in the USA I can send it to have it rebuilt if needed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dabuttrumpet View Post
    If I were to get this fork, how easy is it to service. Is there a place in the USA I can send it to have it rebuilt if needed?
    Yes, DT Swiss has a service center in Grand Junction, CO. and the tech there (Dave) is excellent. I have two bikes, both with DT shocks & forks and do basic service myself. When I've needed more detailed service I spend the extra money to send my stuff to Dave as the DT Swiss service center here in Canada is terrible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    okay, I think I have decided on the DT Swiss.

I have this headset here: (it doesn't look like this picture, but this is where I bought it)

Cane Creek 40 Series Headset -- Ibis Cycles Online Store

If i cannot get the crown race off the old fork without ruining it where can i get another?

I am helping a friend build a bike and they are buying my old fork. They are ordering this headset:

Cane Creek 40 Zero Stack Headset | Cane Creek | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Is the crown race the same on those? could i just take their new crown race and put it on my new fork, while leaving the one on the fork I'm selling?

hope i made sense

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just went on my first ride with this new fork. Feels amazing. It feels way stiffer and I am in more control. However, my launch control adjuster was doing something weird between setting 4-5 so i watched this video posted by DT swiss and I believe I fixed it.

Service Video: DT Swiss Launch Control Forks (EN) - YouTube

how many times does your rebound knob click? I see 13 available adjustments but my knob clicks 13 times, which means there are 14!?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I've been running the DT Swiss EXC 150mm, 15mm TA,
    on my SL the last couple of years and its been excellent - no issue's. I've run Fox 140 Float & Talas 150 and I hated both of them. The DT is way plusher, actually gets full travel and is stiffer. One thing about Fox is if they claim their fork gets 140mm of travel, thats code for 130mm max. travel.
    CRC has DT Swiss EXM 150mm LCII, 15mm TA, 1 1/8" steer on sale.