mtbr member
    Sep 2007

fork explanation

it seems that everyone is stating that the 140mm is the way to go on the mojo. I know the bike was designed for 140mm and the book states the 130mm will be o.k. i stated this before that i just bought the rc reba team @ 100mm. if i put this fork on will it not perform as well? will i be missing out on the true performance and handling. Is everyone getting the 140mm because of the trails they ride (big air and huge drops). or does the 140 "match" the geometry of the bike? the riding i do is mostly xc with not much big jumps or drops. not sure if this is a stupid question or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    im not totally sure but from previous experinces the 100mm fork will drop the front end way down therefore not giving you a true feel of the bike, descending is going to be a significant challenge however climbing should be easier. I would sell your reba race and go for a pike, its a sweet fork that you can dial down and still have the comfort of the full 140mm travel. hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Don't kill the messenger!

With the 100mm fork you will feel like you are nosegrinding the trail except when you are riding a very steep uphill. The Mojo has a geometry that is designed around a 140mm fork and nearly two inches less will simply put the frontend way too low for comfort.

holding back the darkness
    agreed, 100mm is a little far outside the design parameters and might make your handling very twitchy (think shopping cart), and will change the angle of attack of the fork. It seems to me (in my non-edumacated way) that the closer to up and down a fork is made to work, the more friction and stiction and other-iction it had to overcome before it is forced upward. Conversely, the closer a fork can be made to take impacts head on the better.
    The travel issue is no longer one of jumps and big air (although it does help there!). Today's bikes are sitting deeper in their sag and provide better tracking in both directions for traction and stability in addition to absorbing the big stuff. Used to be that suspension was there "just to take the edge" off, but as designs have evolved (such as the DW-link) we are able to have longer and longer travel bikes that are still efficient climbers, more comfortable, allow the rider to ride longer and make bigger mistakes without consequence.
    So... making my long story somewhat less long: The Mojo, with a 140mm fork IS set up for XC use because of the geometry despite tradtional thinking that shorter travel= faster, more efficient xc-ness. Back in the day I ran an 80mm fork on my hardtail with maybe 5-10mm sag and it was stiff and it was fast and it was rough and my hands went numb all the time over comparatively short distances. TodayI ride a Maverick DUC32 with 6in (~150mm) travel, which is outside the recommendation on the slack side of things and it works great for me and I ride mostly XC/All mountainy type stuff. But my 150mm fork actually rides at about 130mm or less wth me on it. This floats me into that range of recommended travel while I'm actually on the bike. Sag makes things plush and buttery, and if set up properly, should still resist bobbing.
    My fork drops down to around 100mm in climbing mode and that makes things pretty tight up front and I definitely know it if I forget to switch it off on the way back down.
    I hate to say it, but you might want to keep that Reba shiny and uninstalled and return it or sell it for a longer-travel version.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks to all for the info. much appreciated. looks like i am buying a new fork, unfortunatly. the reba is like brand new, great fork, maybe 100 "easy" miles on it. anyone looking for a new fork. i will give you a fantastic deal. $275.00. a steal. absolutly nothing wrong with it. oh well live and learn. thanks again