mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Fork color question and setup advice

I've been reading a lot of threads on here and I've pretty much decided on Ibis SL with x9 build kit. The thing is I really want a white frame with white fork and Ibis seems to indicate there is no way I can be guaranteed something like fork color in any build kit. Okay ... I'd be willing to pay any upcharge to get said fork ... but I don't want to get a frame and build a bike. Does anyone have any advice on that or am I weird that I care about my fork color? (And, yes, I'm female.) I do care about my fork feature/functions but the ones offered all seem ok.

I also am not sure about stem length. I have a 100mm on my Intense 5.5 FRO (small) which has a 21.5 TT. I have really short femurs so on a Joplin my seat is pretty much all the way forward. I'm almost 5'5". The Intense is 70/72 and the Mojo SL is 69/73 on angles.

I'm hoping going to a Mojo from my Intense is a good idea?

Thanks from a newbie
    Last edited by KnobbyToes; 05-13-2010 at 08:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Here you go:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1737109856.html

Looks like a small, which should fit you, and it's an SL, and better than and X.9 build.

Price almost seems too good to be true.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by KnobbyToes
    I've been reading a lot of threads on here and I've pretty much decided on Ibis SL with x9 build kit. The thing is I really want a white frame with white fork and Ibis seems to indicate there is no way I can be guaranteed something like fork color in any build kit. Okay ... I'd be willing to pay any upcharge to get said fork ... but I don't want to get a frame and build a bike. Does anyone have any advice on that or am I weird that I care about my fork color? (And, yes, I'm female.) I do care about my fork feature/functions but the ones offered all seem ok.

Thanks from a newbie
    First off, it's widely known that up through the 2010 Fox Fjork line up the white forks were quite a bit better than the black or even the gray ones. However, come 2011 you're going to want a black one and avoid the white ones at all cost.

Second off, I went in reverse of you going from a Mojo to an Intense and now I can't walk upright. Had I gone the other way around I probably wouldn't need help keeping a simple Jansport or Hello Kitty school backpack on without the contents sliding out and over my head.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just recieved my Mojo SL in white with a 2011 fox float white fork (think I heard my LBS say black or white option on the Float)
    So I think if you upgrade to the Fox Float you will get white..not sure with the RS?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Was in the same boat as you...

I also am not sure about stem length. I have a 100mm on my Intense 5.5 FRO (small) which has a 51.5 TT. I have really short femurs so on a Joplin my seat is pretty much all the way forward. I'm almost 5'5". The Intense is 70/72 and the Mojo SL is 69/73 on angles.

Thanks from a newbie
    except that I didn't care too much about the fork color but I did go from an Intense 5.5 to a Mojo SL (more on that in a minute). My LBS did offer me the white or platinum 2010 Fox Talas 150. Fox makes a white one for their Ibis build kits (OEM) and it was an option for me. I don't think that the 2011 forks are an option with build kits until later in the year but I could be wrong on that one. The white on white does look sexy and since you are a girl I won't bust you on being so concerned about your fork color

I loved my Intense but once I rode the Mojo my love has faded a bit! I have so much more confidence and FUN on the Mojo. It handles much better, allows me to go faster, is more flickable and just a better bike for me. Going from the 5.5 to a Mojo is not a good idea, it is a GREAT idea!!!
    You will find a lot of information about stem lengths on here. I have an 80 on my Mojo down from a 100 on my Intense. I really like the responsiveness in the turns and the confidence that I get on the downhills from the shorter stem. I plan on switching to a 70mm very soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My LBS said that the Mojo SL's are shipping with the 2011 fox forks....atleast mine came with a 2011
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jeffnrivercity; 05-13-2010 at 09:02 PM.

aka dan51
    Does anyone have any advice on that or am I weird that I care about my fork color? (And, yes, I'm female.) I do care about my fork feature/functions but the ones offered all seem ok.

Thanks from a newbie
    LOL!!! I got a white fork and my girlfriend gives me sh!t for it all the time. She just doesn't understand. (plus it only comes in white)

Your LBS may be able to help you get a RS Revelation with 20mm TA in white. That's what I have and like it better than any Fox fork I've ever ridden. But that might require getting a different wheelset too.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

www.derbyrims.com
    Did you say your small Intense 5.5 FRO has a 51.5cm TT? The small Mojo TT is 56.0cm.

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojo/geometry/

The FRO's 1 degree slacker seat tube than the Mojo stretches reach rearward further than the Mojo by about 1cm if the seat was centered the same on both. And you are comfortable with a 100mm stem on the FRO, but your seat is pushed all the way forward so that shortens your reach about 2 to 3cm and helps climbing weight balance over the front wheel and pedals.

You'd have the same weight balance over the pedals on the small Mojo by bumping your seat back about 1cm from full forward going to the small Mojo with the steeper seat tube angle. But you would need a shorter stem to have the same forward reach because the Mojo TT is 4.5cm longer than your FRO. Going to a less than full forward seat center by 1cm, you would need a stem 5.5cm shorter than your 10cm (100mm) stem for the same reach and forward lean. That means a 45mm stem using the same handlebar would give the same fit over the pedals and rear wheel and place you further behind the front wheel on the small Mojo than the small 5.5 FRO.

The shortest stem Ibis makes is 70mm. Try that Ibis 70mm stem first if buying a whole bike, and maybe keep the seat pushed all the way forward. If the reach is too stretched out and you need a shorter stem, consider that if the steering feels too twitchy going further shorter in stem length then get an inch wider handlebar to maintain stable steering and handling feel. (The Ibis riser handlebar measures 26.5 inches wide.)

See if you can get a test ride on a small Mojo.

Hope your not too dizzy after reading that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Whoa -- thanks for all the good advice (and I just corrected my Intense TT to 21.5 inches ... 51.5cm is my r*%d bike size, sorry about that). If Ibis bikes are half as nice as Ibis riders, I'm going to be a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My wife is the same height as you & rides a small Mojo SL with a 80mm stem, fits her great.

mtbr member
    Love my fork and my IBIS, built by competitive cyclist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fork color question and setup advice-img_0218.jpg  

Ride to eat, Eat to ride.