Thread: Fork Choice?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Fork Choice?

Hi Fellow Mojos,

I'm in the market for a new set of forks for my SL. I'm also running a 650B up front.

I'm looking at the 2011 Talas 150, 2010 Talas 150 and added to my list the Revelation 150.

What do you guys think?

David

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Run an older X series Fox Float X 140. Due to terralogic, it sits right at 130, which allows for the 13 mm taller axle height of the 650 b and mimicks a 140 fork, which is what the Mojo is designed around. Oherwise a F29/ 100 will give you the correct axle to crown height.The advantage of the F29 is that it has 44 mm of offset, which works perfectly with the 650b wheel, being right in between 38 mm and 52 mm G2 specific Fisher fork for 29" tires. The other obvious advantage is that a 29er fork provides adaquate clearance between the top of the tire and fork brace/ crown clearance. The idea is with a larger 27.5 tire contact patch, you really do not need as much travel on the fork due to the improved angle of attack of the tire for clearing obstacles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bought my Mojo (Classic) with a 2010 Revelation, swapped it to a Float RLC, and after a few rides swapped back to the Rev.

It is a truly amazing fork, tracks beautifully and I found it buttery smooth.
    The Rev gave me a softer feel as well as inspired more confidence on the single track which my GPS confirmed.

The new Fox range are said to be great, but as with all new things, there might be some teething issues - best to hear from guys who are running them at the moment for an opinion there?

More Torque
    With the newer Foxes (2010,2011), you may want to verify that you will have clearance for the 650b. I had the 09 Talas 140, and I can see why folks were comfortable with the bigger wheel, as the bike had trouble achieving full travel.

There may be issues with tire/crown contact on the newer models. My 2010 Talas 150 definitely uses more of its travel.

-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I did a big fork review for the Mojo:

2010 Fork Shootout: Fox 32 vs. RS Revelation (long)

These are for 2010 forks. Don't know about the 2011 stuff.