Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: flock of ibis

mtbr member

flock of ibis

[IMG]desktop[/IMG]

i've had to do some drivetrain maintenance lately and while i wasn't paying attention the ibii (ibises?) gathered together. i've been collecting the brand (among others) since 1992 and they all get ridden regularly. while i am pleased to see them back in business i do miss their steel offerings. i still keep an eye open for a ti-mojo or their ti-road. enjoy mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

uh, or something!
    nice fleet you got going!

artistic...
    the singlespeed w/ horiz. drop outs. that's a rare bird.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    what? no Ibis Avion?

VRC Hound
    Ooh, I'm looking for the right Avion. Some poo-poo it, but not me!

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    Ooh, I'm looking for the right Avion. Some poo-poo it, but not me!

just kidding

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i have a '99 mojo that totally rocks my socks.

mtbr member
    Very nice indeed. I have three currently, and am always on the lookout for something else that tickles my fancy. One of the singlespeeds, a Scorcher, or a Ti Mojo are always on the top of the list. I also have this:

I brought my 93 SS in Fester Purple to the tattoo shop and had them match the ink to the paint. Yes, I'm a dork...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    what? no Ibis Avion?
    the way i understood it was that my ss (reborn as the coupled bike with the teeth in a red to white fade) was from about the same era as the avion. wasn't one done abroad but they were unhappy with the quality so it bacame a domestic production? (or so my feeble mind remembers from a bicycle guide article.)

around the same era was the SST grouppo. Shimano Suck This with as many non-shimano parts as possible.

i also forgot about the scorcher. i had a chance to buy one about 7 years ago and still kick myself for missing that one. (ah the early days of e-bay when it was common to steal bikes from the unsuspecting.....i still feel dirty.)

dis member

Some guy comes into the shop...

looking for a new freewheel for his singlespeed, and he brings this thing in. He says it is one of about 2 Single Malts built, and I have reason to believe him. Has anyone seen another Ibis with an eccentric BB and vertical drops? Gorgeous bike. I'll try to attach pics.

Quote Originally Posted by backpedal
    looking for a new freewheel for his singlespeed, and he brings this thing in. He says it is one of about 2 Single Malts built, and I have reason to believe him. Has anyone seen another Ibis with an eccentric BB and vertical drops? Gorgeous bike. I'll try to attach pics.
    Yes... there was a burgundy Single Malt in our shop two weeks ago. I think it had V-Brakes though.... I don't think they are as rare as your customer would like to think.. though rare indeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    Yes... there was a burgundy Single Malt in our shop two weeks ago. I think it had V-Brakes though.... I don't think they are as rare as your customer would like to think.. though rare indeed.
    According to the new Ibis website under the decals section, Scot makes a reference to the Single Malt decal saying that there was only one made. If there is more than one legitimate Single Malt out there, how would one tell? It would seem easy enough to have a Mojo modified to mimic one...

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    the horiz drop outs ss ibis like the OP's bike, are rare. more than the single malt. the horiz had a production run of 25 or something..

mtbr member
    There were 26, one for each letter of the alphabet.

mtbr member

avion and ss.........same bird? (pun intended)

if someone with a bit more knowledge of the facts could offer their insight. were the avion model and the ss the same or close to it? thanks mike

my single speed in the original pictures was made after the run of 26 named for each letter of the alphabet. as i remember it it was an unclaimed frame made for a customer that "disappeared". i just happened to check their website that day and it was listed.

on another note they used to have the most entertaining and constantly changing websites.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here's what I think I know, but someone correct me if I'm wrong:

The Avion was the first bike Ibis made, back in the late 80's. Good for real VRC freaks, but not what rocks my boat.

They made the SS, as has been noted, with a production run of 26 - one for each letter of the alphabet. There was a white one on eBay about eighteen months ago - should have pulled the trigger on that, but wasn't bothered at the time.

They also outsourced production of the Mojo at one point - this was the 'New Mojo', with a lower price than the classic one, and a smaller range of options/ paintjobs. Seemed a bit of a silly idea to me - why pony up for an Ibis then save $200 buying one that wasn't built by them?

The single malt was an EBB SS (unlike the earlier, horizontal-dropped model), which was going into production around the time that Ibis finally (well, penultimately since they've now started up again!) fell out of the sky - I don't think they produced more than a handful.

For those that don't know, most of the old Ibis websites are archived here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.ibiscycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I remember a story about the Single Malt being shown for a custom King-cage designed to work with a bottle of Lagavullin single malt whiskey. I also thought that you get this bike built and pick it up in Islay, THE single malt whiskey island west of the coast of Scotland. After a week riding on Islay and visit the 6/7/8 distilleries, you could go home and take your new bike. I never heart whether this trip was actually really made by anyone buying this frameset, I would love to hear stories and see pictures of this single malt single malt trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Found this in the archive of ibis-websites

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell

The Avion was the first bike Ibis made, back in the late 80's. Good for real VRC freaks, but not what rocks my boat.

They made the SS, as has been noted, with a production run of 26 - one for each letter of the alphabet. There was a white one on eBay about eighteen months ago - should have pulled the trigger on that, but wasn't bothered at the time.

They also outsourced production of the Mojo at one point - this was the 'New Mojo', with a lower price than the classic one, and a smaller range of options/ paintjobs. Seemed a bit of a silly idea to me - why pony up for an Ibis then save $200 buying one that wasn't built by them?

The single malt was an EBB SS (unlike the earlier, horizontal-dropped model), which was going into production around the time that Ibis finally (well, penultimately since they've now started up again!) fell out of the sky - I don't think they produced more than a handful.

The Avion was an Asian made Ibis, made only for a short time in the late 80s. Prior to the Avion, there was the Ibis Custom (these go all the way back to '81 I think), which I think were made to order and hand made in the US. The SS I beleive came after the Avion and was also made here, but they were not made to order. Someone correct me if Im wrong as Im not 100% sure here.

mtbr member
    the bike in the original set of pics (the red to white fade with teeth stickers) at the top was an "SS" not a "single speed". the two letters were just forward of the seatpost on the top tube. it was geared and it was great. i bought it when i was fresh out of my residency (dentist - teeth explained) on closeout and it sat in my living room for a year until i could afford to put parts on it. i had been riding a rigid cannondale which was killing me. the rigid ibis with their 130mm stem and either ritchey or koski (i'll look) fork was head and shoulders kinder to my body. when i jumped in and put a Mag 21 on it maintained its status at the top of my list.

as much as i loved my bontrager race light and raced it for years......the ibis bikes always suited me and my style of riding the best.

i've always been glad that i resisted the temptation for the szazbo, though.

mike

mtbr member
    i live in scotland and contacted s.n about this trip as i was keen to tag along. as far as i am aware it didnt end up happening, but i might be wrong. of note was how polite and stoked he was to get an email from a random singlespeeder whisky lover...and btw, it doesnt have an 'e'...

!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    They did take a Single Malt to Islay:

"Don't ask why. if you've never ridden one, then it probably doesn't make sense and i will admit to a degree of scepticism myself. the ibis single malt - a single speed mountain bike - simplicity itself, but in an age when shimano equipped mountain bikes are reaching 27 speeds, this very definitely goes against the grain. ibis cycles are a small, high end manufacturer based in santa rosa, california celebrating their twentieth anniversary in 2001, and with an obsession for building bikes without compromising quality for price point. they have a range that encompasses a softail, hardtail, full suspension and road bikes, mostly offered in steel and/or titanium.
    for the 2000 las vegas bicycle show, they produced the single malt - the company president and chief operating officer both have an affinity for the output from islay's best - and received more interest in that particular model than any of the others on show. on their december flying visit to islay, they brought the single malt prototype, mainly to show to the managers of the island's distilleries while the washing machine post had the opportunity to be the first to try out the bike.
    ibis generally produce frames only, and the purchaser can kit his/her frame out with whatever componentry takes their fancy, or that the bank manager will allow. the single malt prototype had been built up into a complete bike at the ibis headquarters and consequently had pretty much the best of everything on board. so before we move on to what it was like to ride, let me take you on a tour of the bike"

http://www.ileach.co.uk/post/ibis/

artistic...

i have one of those 200 dollars less ibis but it says handmade in sonoma down the chainstays. later, they were made by strong in montana. i wouldn't say carl strong would downgrade any frame.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'll clarify my position - these days, I'd buy just about any Ibis that would fit me (so far, that's only been a 60cm Hakkalugi), and the lineage of the outsourced frames certainly looks good (the newsletter I have in front me simply states " 'New' version is built for Ibis by the same US factory that produces the Alibi and Szazbo frames').

artistic...
    I'll clarify my position - these days, I'd buy just about any Ibis that would fit me (so far, that's only been a 60cm Hakkalugi), and the lineage of the outsourced frames certainly looks good (the newsletter I have in front me simply states " 'New' version is built for Ibis by the same US factory that produces the Alibi and Szazbo frames').
    the aluminum ibis.. i believe they were made at the kinesis factory, portland. the steel bikes were a diff. story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast