mtbr member

FiveSpot owners who've gone over to the Mojo...?

I'm not a Mojo owner (yet), but seriously considering one to replace my FiveSpot as it sounds like I can have a fairly strong build similar to my 'Spot setup, but with a stiffer and more nimble frame, whilst saving a few lbs. And of course it looks so .

I'd be interested in any comments from people with experience of the 'Spot and the Mojo, and whether they think it's a worthwhile move. My build would have Pike 454 U-Turns up front, DT 5.1 rims, CK hubs, Maverick Speedball post, Truvative Stylo carbon cranks with 2 rings + bash, so not the lightest, but not silly heavy. My 2005 Horst 'Spot is currently ~31lbs, and I'd hope to knock about 3lbs off that with a few component changes and the weight saving in the frame & shock (DHX Air on the 'Spot).

My riding consists of the main parks over here in the UK (Afan/Cwncarn/7Stanes) plus Snowdon/Swinley etc, so essentially technical singletrack type stuff with drops no bigger than 3-4ft. I like the 'Spot (although I have some issues with the DHX-Air), but I do find it a bit sluggish here & there, & I don't think that's just down to my build. I'd like to gain a more nimble ride, more "flicky" through the singletrack, whilst not compromising the descents (on which the Turner does feel very stable).

Just checking all the bases before I pull the trigger as these frames are not cheap here in the UK $3350 . Cheers for any advice!

mtbr member

Ibis vs 5 spot review

Have you read the review from MBUK magazine. It compares the 5 spot, Mojo, Intense 5.5 and a Rocky Mountain bike. The link can also be found on the Ibis site.

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/p...ec680b482d4b7a

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalhead
    I'm not a Mojo owner (yet), but seriously considering one to replace my FiveSpot as it sounds like I can have a fairly strong build similar to my 'Spot setup, but with a stiffer and more nimble frame, whilst saving a few lbs. And of course it looks so .
    The Horst 5-spot works better then the single-pivot version reviewed on MBUK. So, as far ar MBUK is concerned the difference in performance Mojo - Horst should be less of an advantage to the Mojo. But judging from the many comments around MTBR and the overwelming press reception it looks like the Mojo has an advantage (or more then one) in respect to many bikes. Check out just a few threads below a comparison with the horst 5-spot http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...46#post2617446 that confirms the Mojo advantage.
    Last edited by Davide; 01-20-2007 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Mojo with Pike

I don't have any experience with the 5 Spot, but thought I'd mention that my bike ended up weighing just over 28 lbs Like you I'm using a Pike 454:

Medium Clearcoated Frame
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    EC70 Monkeylight Bars 660mm Low Rise
    Thomson X4 Stem 10deg x 100mm
    FSA IS2 Headset
    Rockshox Pike Dual Air
    Race Face Deus Crankset
    X.9 Trigger Shifters and Derailleurs (the new 2007 designs)
    Sram 990 Casette
    Sram Chain (forget which exact model)
    Selle Italia Flite Gel Saddle
    Juicy Seven 185mm Brakes
    Mavic 819 UST Rims with Hope Pro 2 Hubs
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST Tires
    Crank Bros Candy SL Pedals

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, some good reading there, although I do take most magazine reviews with a big dose of salt. Thanks for the build details m_beale1, I reckon my proposed spec would come in a fraction over that, but certainly still well under 29lbs for a pretty solid setup.
    Last edited by Pedalhead; 01-20-2007 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Mojo vs 5 Spot

Pedalhead I had a Horst 5 Spot for 6 months and sold it for the Mojo. I prefer the Mojo and dont miss the Spot. I think though if you were more into descents, hucking drops and air then the 5 Spot would be the way to go, It feels a bit more burly and could handle the abuse [that may be just an aluminium over carbon thing....who would want to stack a new Mojo!] The Mojo is IMO a better all round bike. Its lighter, a better climber and feels more balanced and descends so well. It simply feels more alive and more exciting to ride than the 5 Spot and of course thats a personal thing. For me the DW Link is a fine design and the Mojo is a beautifully built example. Ive been through alot of bikes in the last couple of years and Im not looking anymore....Mojo cured me of the affliction! Damn! I did so enjoy the search, the build and the first few rides on a new chassis! So beware you may be with this one for a while! Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Spot vs Mojo

I have owned the hl 5-spot ant the TNT 5-spot and now I'm riding a Mojo. The difference is in the climbing and the weight, I give the nod to the Mojo on climbing because nothing climbs better than the Mojo. It goes down just as good also, but in going down the 5-spot will outshine the mojo just a little bit. Bottom line is both bikes are more than capable, but it comes down to for me that I wanted a bike that is a better climber so I chose the Mojo. My brother he is the opposite so he has the 5-spot. So if you want a bike that climbs better then any long travel bike on the market and can keep up with any other bike going down go Mojo.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just spent the day at Cwm Carn on the Mojo which is also a place I sessioned the 5 Spot alot.....review between the two....the Spot is a wee bit better on descents....I am still tuning the Mojo and I am using different forks. I will put the same forks as I had on the Spot [DUC's] and give it a better side by side review.

mtbr member
    I also ride Cwm Carn a lot on the 'Spot. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Mojo next time I'm there, though I think I fancy Whites Level this weekend. I used to have DUCs & changed over to Pikes. Best thing I ever did!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yea I agree with you about Whytes.....Cwm is showing its age a bit both in design and wear and tear. If this cold snap continues and keeps the mud hard I may well be on Whytes this Sunday. Had Cwm to myself on Tues avo...sun shining, no mud and not a soul....

mtbr member
    Ah shame I can't make Sunday as maybe we could hook up & I could take a look at the Mojo, having never seen one in the flesh. Perhaps another time...?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yea if we can work out a time then no problem! Catch me through my email on the STW profile

mtbr member
    Coolio