mtbr member
    Nov 2005

First ride impressions - Mojo

Got it built on Saturday and took it out for the inaugural ride on Sunday - 24 miles with just over 2000 feet of climbing. Sorry, no trail pictures, next time....

Trail included fire road and single track, some switchbacks and logs, no drops or big jumps.

I'm impressed - it rides like a couch compared to the Epic, plus the seating position is a lot more laid back, which I like. The seatpost lowered about an inch during the ride and when I went to tighten it the black plastic thingy broke.

The Vanilla front fork (130mm borrowed from a friend) sure rides well. It seems like a nice match for the RP23 and the bike. A little more travel and I think I might be there. Don't know if I'm going the Talas route - the Vanilla is sooo plush. Everyone that comments about the Vanilla and some that switch seem to regret it. Honestly I didn't feel like I needed to lower the front end - even on the 15% plus grades - and I have like 8 spacers on there.

I did notice some odd creaking when really hammering on the cranks. I think it maybe because I don't have the correct number of spacers on the XTR cranks and need one or two more links in the chain. I will address those and see if makes a difference.

Also need to watch the bb height - through a couple rocky areas it was close.

Best part was the climbing - for a bike with almost 6 inches of travel it should not climb this well. I didn't even use the pro-pedal - no need in my opinion. I set the sag to about 20% and off I went.

Overall I think this bike will be great for 90% of the riding we do - climbing, single track, bombing down the hills, etc... Not sure if it will be something I'd take to Downieville or not, we'll see (anyone here done this?)

One more thing - Nokons are perfect for this bike. It allows you to route cables however you want. Takes some patience to get them together, but it works and looks fantastic.

-Alex

"Nothing is free."

Ibis Mojo / Parlee Z5 / Colnago Master Zabel / Cannondale Tandem / Civia Loring w/bamboo fenders

It's the axle
    I'm using the propedal less over time. The one word that continues to enter my head when the propedal is off is AMAZING. It rolls over downed tree limbs like butter. Potholes in fire roads, butter. I noticed today that when riding the Mojo like a road bike, standing in the big ring, propedal really has to be on.

But today was one of the first times I started riding the bike like I used to ride my road bike. Instead of shifting down to the middle ring, just standing and using the bars. It's light enough to have that road bike feel.

I feel the Mojo is a fully qualified cross country bike. I climb some 30% grade stuff once in a while (ouch), and the front end does get light. But I shift up to the rivet, and my center of gravity goes forward. What bike doesn't get light on steep climbs. I was put off when I found out the review section for the Mojo was All Mountain. Maybe it's due to the fact that it has honest to goodness suspension. Otherwise, I don't see why it couldn't do Downieville.

I've ridden hard the last four days in a row. And I'm looking forward to tomorrow. If that isn't testament to how awesome this bike is, I don't know what is.

mtbr member

It is a King ...

Quote Originally Posted by B_Aero
    Got it built on Saturday and took it out for the inaugural ride on Sunday - 24 miles with just over 2000 feet of climbing. Sorry, no trail pictures, next time....

Trail included fire road and single track, some switchbacks and logs, no drops or big jumps.

I'm impressed - it rides like a couch compared to the Epic, plus the seating position is a lot more laid back, which I like. The seatpost lowered about an inch during the ride and when I went to tighten it the black plastic thingy broke.

Also need to watch the bb height - through a couple rocky areas it was close.

Best part was the climbing - for a bike with almost 6 inches of travel it should not climb this well. I didn't even use the pro-pedal - no need in my opinion. I set the sag to about 20% and off I went.

Overall I think this bike will be great for 90% of the riding we do - climbing, single track, bombing down the hills, etc... Not sure if it will be something I'd take to Downieville or not, we'll see (anyone here done this?)

-Alex
    I am not using the propedal at all and I am just amazed about the plushness and the efficiency of the bike. It seems to be getting better the more I use it, probably me getting used to the bike, or finally dialing in the fox float ... anyway: this is the ultimate MTB

With the longer fork you will gain a bit of BB height. In general I would not mind if the bike had a bit of a higher BB although the low BB probably helps making for such a surefooted bike that I am getting in trouble by pushing my limited skills too much ...