mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Upset First day on the Mojo somthing already broken.

I took the bike out for a ride today and it was amazing until i opened the seat clamp and the little plastic piece broke. I was at the least very disappointed. I had to ride the rest of the ride seat all the way down and did not enjoy it very much. I'm sure it is easily fixed but i have no idea why this occurred on the first ride.

banned
    Maybe because the piece was plastic?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yea but its what came with the bike and i didn't even know it was there.

Grams Light Bikes
    It took mine 9 months to break? Anyway I was able to just tighten the bolt down up some and clamp it down (not exactly tight) and the seatpost didn't move? Very strange? I just got the Silk version of the seatpost clamp that I am going to try out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That looks like what happened to mine except mine split right in half.

Downunder Mojophile
    Just use an Allen key with the clamp closed

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Overtight?

Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    It took mine 9 months to break? Anyway I was able to just tighten the bolt down up some and clamp it down (not exactly tight) and the seatpost didn't move? Very strange? I just got the Silk version of the seatpost clamp that I am going to try out.

I just replaced mine with the Silk collar. Is there any chance that if you tighten the allen screw too much, will it crack the carbon frame where the slit is?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you leave the seatpost in during the process you would likely strip a titanium bolt first.

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by Feed Me
    I took the bike out for a ride today and it was amazing until i opened the seat clamp and the little plastic piece broke. I was at the least very disappointed. I had to ride the rest of the ride seat all the way down and did not enjoy it very much. I'm sure it is easily fixed but i have no idea why this occurred on the first ride.
    I didn't even make it out of the driveway before mine broke. I suppose I over tightened it (of course I did, it broke, right?) but it definitely didn't feel that tight. I heard a sharp crack and completely expected my seat tube to have shattered. but the neat little halves of plastic on the ground quelled my fears. That little bit of plastic doesn't really do much, and the QR works just fine without it... The plastic was more of a fuse than anything (I think), and we'll just have to be more careful when tightening these down.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Gentlemen (and the rest of you),
    We now have replacement washers for those that have cracked. We'll fire one off to you right away if you've had a problem.
    Either give us a call 1-866-424-7635
    or shout us out at info at ibiscycles.com
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Scot

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Lube It

Here's a tip for you all, only slightly off subject.

We use LPS 1 Lubricant on our frames when we assemble them. One tiny squirt in the seat tube and you're good to go. No problems with the carbon. This helps prevent the carbon posts from feeling tight in the seat tube.

I'd recommend a squirt every once in a while, particularly if you wash the bike a bunch or are riding it in wet conditions.

Scot
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Torque specs

Quote Originally Posted by Feed Me
    yea but its what came with the bike and i didn't even know it was there.
    Maybe just tightened it too much? I use 5 Nm with my Silk Seatpost and I don't think you should need much more then that with the quick release ... it might have been your mistake

PS I personally want the seatpost to "give" in case of a bad crash, i.e. I rather have the seatpost move if I fell and I apply a lot of lateral pressure (with my flesh! ouch!) on the seat ... kind of the same with brake levers: better that they move around the bar then they brake off because they are too tight.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    Maybe just tightened it too much? I use 5 Nm with my Silk Seatpost and I don't think you should need much more then that with the quick release ... it might have been your mistake

PS I personally want the seatpost to "give" in case of a bad crash, i.e. I rather have the seatpost move if I fell and I apply a lot of lateral pressure (with my flesh! ouch!) on the seat ... kind of the same with brake levers: better that they move around the bar then they brake off because they are too tight.
    I have to tighten my post pretty tight or it slips down during each ride. (You light weight riders have too many advantages and should be required to wear 50 lb backpacks to even up the effort and performance to equal the more gravity challenged of us!)

I see now that my quick release's plastic washer is cracked at the bottom.

Ibis, maybe a brass washer could be produced as an alternative? (Or Kevlar fiber for the weight weenies?)

I tried setting my OEM Hayes 9 levers a little loose to avoid breaking in a crash like could do with my Avid mech levers on my old bike. But the Hayes levers flop around too much so I have to run them tightened down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Would it be good to follow that up with Tacx Dynamic Assembly Compound on the seatpost ? Never tried the stuff yet, but heard that it was good because of the anti-slip granularity added to the compound reducing required clamping force.
    Thanks

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?fl...bly%20compound
    Last edited by glovemtb; 04-12-2007 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

whats in the lube

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    Here's a tip for you all, only slightly off subject.

We use LPS 1 Lubricant on our frames when we assemble them. One tiny squirt in the seat tube and you're good to go. No problems with the carbon. This helps prevent the carbon posts from feeling tight in the seat tube.

I'd recommend a squirt every once in a while, particularly if you wash the bike a bunch or are riding it in wet conditions.

Scot

Is this a silicone lubricant. There are a lot of things that you can buy in the States that are hard to come by downunder. Just want to know somw more details so I can find something similar.