Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Mr.
    Mr. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    131

    Finish durability?

    Hey all you long term Ibis owners, does the painted finish Mojo seem to be holding up better vs. the nude carbon? I've been reading a lot of posts about layering your nude frames with protective tape. Is there similar issues with the painted version?

    I'm leaning towards a Mojo, but already skiddish about the (short) three year warranty on such an expensive frame, I need some honest opinion about the finish durability...
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tall Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.
    Hey all you long term Ibis owners, does the painted finish Mojo seem to be holding up better vs. the nude carbon? I've been reading a lot of posts about layering your nude frames with protective tape. Is there similar issues with the painted version?

    I'm leaning towards a Mojo, but already skiddish about the (short) three year warranty on such an expensive frame, I need some honest opinion about the finish durability...
    Hello Mr.,
    Tom from Ibis posting. It has been our observation that the clear coat finish is actually a little more durable than the painted colors. At this point I am not sure whether it is simply a byproduct of the fact that any scratch or chip will show in a much more obvious fashion on a brightly colored frame then on a dark gray carbon frame, or that the clear is actually tougher. The durability of the finish is also highly variable depending upon the terrain where the bike is used and how many times it gets dumped on the ground. Scot, Hans, and I are riding the oldest Mojos there are (going on 2 years) and while they are not pristine, they still look pretty good. The same could be said of our demo fleet of bikes - many of which started life as blemished frames to begin with.
    The point is, I think that folks are using the protective films because the bikes start out so pretty and they want to keep them that way. At the same time we are always looking at ways to make the finishes even more durable.
    Finally with regard to the warranty, I want to point out that most "lifetime" warranties are actually quite deceptive, and are in reality more of a marketing tool then as a consumer benefit. All along it has been our goal to be as open and honest as we can be in the way we pursue our business, and as such we've avoided taking the standard approach if that approach seems less than honest. Virtually every bike warranty offered is limited in coverage to "defects in materials or workmanship". I assure you that if a bike is truly defective in either category the defect will present itself in less than 3 years. Moreover, almost all warranties are depreciated based upon the age of the bike. So what exactly is the worth of a warranty on a 10 year old bike if the value of the bike has been depreciated to zero?
    Anyway, something we think is of more value to the consumer is our lifetime no-fault replacement policy. If your Ibis is damaged in a non-warrantee situation, we will repair or replace it for the lowest cost available to us.
    Finally, we believe that happy customers are good customers. So we try to address every problem our customer's have with the highest emphasis on keeping the customer satisfied. I think if you read the postings on this forum you'll find that people's real experiences with us bear that out.
    Feel free to contact us directly if you have any further questions.

  3. #3
    Mr.
    Mr. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    131

    Mucho Thanks!

    Thanks for the fantastic reply and information! I honestly didn't know that "lifetime" warranties depreciated - and it took me a few hours this morning with emails to some other manufacturers to get them to fess up to that fact. I also somehow missed the no-fault lifetime replacement in the info from your website. All my jitters are now gone.

    And as for the finish, I think it's just a mental thing for me to "get over" about carbon fiber vs. steel or aluminum. I came across a picture last night of someone there at Ibis standing on a frame that was clamped in a vice (near the bottom bracket?), and it was straight as an arrow - I'm impressed!

    I'm more resolved than ever to pick a frame up now, and feel much more secure with the investment. Now I just need to narrow the size down, as the only build locally (to test ride) was a M, and I would need at least a L. I'm 6'3 with I believe, a 34" inseam - should I go for XL?

    Many thanks again!
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tall Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.
    Thanks for the fantastic reply and information! I honestly didn't know that "lifetime" warranties depreciated - and it took me a few hours this morning with emails to some other manufacturers to get them to fess up to that fact. I also somehow missed the no-fault lifetime replacement in the info from your website. All my jitters are now gone.

    And as for the finish, I think it's just a mental thing for me to "get over" about carbon fiber vs. steel or aluminum. I came across a picture last night of someone there at Ibis standing on a frame that was clamped in a vice (near the bottom bracket?), and it was straight as an arrow - I'm impressed!

    I'm more resolved than ever to pick a frame up now, and feel much more secure with the investment. Now I just need to narrow the size down, as the only build locally (to test ride) was a M, and I would need at least a L. I'm 6'3 with I believe, a 34" inseam - should I go for XL?

    Many thanks again!
    I'm going to suggest that you go with an XL. Depending on your riding style and your personal preferences you could ride a L, but I think overall you'll be happier on the XL. The difference would primarily be that the L would require you to use a longer stem and you would have more of a forward weight bias. The feel would be a little bit quicker handling, but a little less stable on descents.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    75
    I am also 6"3 and 34" waist. Definitely go for the XL - you won't regret it.

    The XL is 21" but does not feel bigger than my old 19" Kona Coiler.

    It's twice the bike though

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    545

    repair of the clear coat ?

    (didn't see any other thread on this)

    Just got a (used) 2010 Mojo but looks like it got damage in shipping - is there a way to repair the cosmetic (I don't think it got into the carbon) chips of the clear coat ?

    (I heard Ibis has paint repait kits, but didn't know about teh carbon clear coat)



    might have found the answer from Scot Nicol ?

    "The Mojo has a polyurethane clearcoat......I was amazed that all I saw was a scratch in the clear coat (hint: touch 'em up with nail polish)."
    Last edited by adumesny; 05-20-2010 at 12:15 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles wadsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny
    (didn't see any other thread on this)

    Just got a (used) 2010 Mojo but looks like it got damage in shipping - is there a way to repair the cosmetic (I don't think it got into the carbon) chips of the clear coat ?

    (I heard Ibis has paint repait kits, but didn't know about teh carbon clear coat)



    might have found the answer from Scot Nicol ?

    "The Mojo has a polyurethane clearcoat......I was amazed that all I saw was a scratch in the clear coat (hint: touch 'em up with nail polish)."
    I have used clear nail polish and it works excellent for these kinds of chips.
    milesW

  8. #8
    More Torque
    Reputation: Diesel~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    I have used clear nail polish and it works excellent for these kinds of chips.
    I'm not sure how nail polish stacks up these days (though I must admit that I got some purple nail polish from a gf to touch up my pink/purple Klein Rascal back in 92 or 93), but for a chip in the clear coat of my carbon road frame, I went to the auto parts store and purchased some clear in the touch up paint section. It was about $5-6, from what I recall. It worked ok, though it was not very thick..

    -D

  9. #9
    Rides a Bike
    Reputation: fishboy2807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.
    Hey all you long term Ibis owners, does the painted finish Mojo seem to be holding up better vs. the nude carbon? I've been reading a lot of posts about layering your nude frames with protective tape. Is there similar issues with the painted version?

    I'm leaning towards a Mojo, but already skiddish about the (short) three year warranty on such an expensive frame, I need some honest opinion about the finish durability...
    Hi there Mr.
    You can chip or rub the paint (or clearcoat) off any bike regardless of brand, and given where we choose to ride this is no surprise. Protective film will help keep your plaything looking good for longer, and for less than the price of a good tyre. You can use the film on all sorts of frame finish be that painted, clearcoat, rubberised, bare and anodised.

    With regard to Ibis warranty, rest assured – these guys have the best customer service out there – and there's plenty of supporting threads along this line. Buy with confidence.

    Al
    It's wise to be skiddish... doing skids is fun.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~
    I'm not sure how nail polish stacks up these days (though I must admit that I got some purple nail polish from a gf to touch up my pink/purple Klein Rascal back in 92 or 93), but for a chip in the clear coat of my carbon road frame, I went to the auto parts store and purchased some clear in the touch up paint section. It was about $5-6, from what I recall. It worked ok, though it was not very thick..

    -D

    I used the clear coat touch up paint as well and it worked good.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iClique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    599
    Fishboy's Frameskins are TIGHT!!! They work great and are easy to apply!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by iClique
    Fishboy's Frameskins are TIGHT!!! They work great and are easy to apply!
    +1 for Fishboy's Frameskin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •