mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Few questions on an SL-R build

Hey Guys, I'm new to the MTB world and I've done tons of research on parts but I have a few questions I was hoping you could help me with.

Shock -

What's the reservoir exactly for?

I'm going to buy an SL-R without the stock shock (if possible) or just switch it out to a Manitou. I am going to be jumping quite a bit and from what I understand the reservoir just gives you more adjustments. I don't believe I need extra adjustments and it is extra weight.

Fork -

Dual air or single air? Which would you suggest?

Straight thru axle or 9mm?

I love the 69 degree head angle so I'm going with a 140mm Manitou Minute Pro fork.

Front derailleur -

Not using one so is there a cap/plug for the mount on the frame or should I just not worry about it?

Frame -

Why doesn't Ibis make an XXS frame so I can also by one for my wife?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Resevior shocks are generally more heavy duty and allow more fluid for cooling. Furthermore, they come with more adjustments. Stick with the stock shock: since you're new and it's more staright forward, and they don't come without it.

15mm is stiffer than 9mm your choice.

Just put a couple bolts in the holes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm set, Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If your jumping quite a bit why not go with the HD 140? You can option a cane creek dbl barrel for your shock, or even run a coil if you prefer.

I would definitely go with the 15mm QR up front as Canuck mentioned.

I hear that there are some direct mount chain guides in the works so that might be an option for your 1x10 setup.

Ibis frames already run small everywhere but the stand over. So if she can stomach a 27" stand over your wife should be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'll definitely go with the 15mm. The direct mount chain guide sounds great. I was planning on buying a chain/bash guard anyway.

As for my wife, her standover is exactly 27".
    Measurements taken from the Ibis web site...

SL - 29.6" -140mm fork (mid top tube)
    27" - 140mm fork (saddle nose)
    SL-R - same as above
    HD-140 - 27.8" - 150mm fork (doesn't say mid or saddle)
    HD - 28" - 160mm fork (doesn't say mid or saddle)

Even if she jumps off and lands perfectly in the saddle nose area, given the roughly .4" per 10mm of fork travel and putting a 120mm fork on it, she would only have .8" of room with the SL or SL-R before hitting her Hoo Ha. That just won't work, I need her Hoo Ha well protected since it's the only one I get for the rest of my life.

The best case scenario would be mid top tube at 24" to 25" with a 120mm fork. She only weighs 98lbs so I would think 120mm should work great for whatever kind of riding/jumping we do.