Unpredictable

A few questions on the Mojo

Sorry this is not a single issue post:
    1: I run a Talas 32 fork and reading the previous posts regarding front end flex (pinch the seat and wiggle the bars while rolling) I was wondering about how much of that flex is from the fork as opposed to the frame. To try to check I lowered the fork to 100mm, but was distracted by something I had not noted before and would really appreciate some explanation (? paging DW as much as the Ibis team). It may be imagination, but dropping from 140mm to 100mm while pedalling seems to increase the rolling or pedalling resistance - I have to push a little harder to keep the same pace. Any thoughts on the possible mechanism?
    2: Now things get a little more concerning for me. About a week ago I started to get a click or tap feeling in the bars at times. More likely when I first start to move or brake and once or twice when turning the bars or impacting something like a sidewalk. It is a sharp click like a stone hitting the frame. I couldn't find a cause and nor could the LBS. The bike runs normally. Bars are fine (fully removed), all the shifters etc are solid and the fork, headset etc are OK. It is not from the wheel and if it is the brake pads shifting I would be very surprised. Help please.
    3: To continue the worry, in the last week I have found 2 cracks at the join of the TT and the seatpost and another on top of the BB. I am not game to peel the paint away to assess how deep they are and unless I missed them, the LBS guys did not see them cause they just showed up. I will get some pics up soon. They seem superficial (sweat sweat). Not sure what to do next about this (I am in Australia). I have ridden about 1000km in 3 months on the bke - some fairly fast and rough trail work, but most of it pretty easy on the bike stuff and have had no major stacks or injuries to any other bike part.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    Sorry this is not a single issue post:
    1: I run a Talas 32 fork and reading the previous posts regarding front end flex (pinch the seat and wiggle the bars while rolling) I was wondering about how much of that flex is from the fork as opposed to the frame. To try to check I lowered the fork to 100mm, but was distracted by something I had not noted before and would really appreciate some explanation (? paging DW as much as the Ibis team). It may be imagination, but dropping from 140mm to 100mm while pedalling seems to increase the rolling or pedalling resistance - I have to push a little harder to keep the same pace. Any thoughts on the possible mechanism?
    If you haven’t ridden shorter suspension bikes before you’ll notice that there is more rolling resistance over rocks with shorter travel or rigid bikes. There is no riding time flex problems found by riders with the Mojo. Minor flex amount differences to other bikes have only been noticed doing isolated “bench” or “parking lot” tests.

2: Now things get a little more concerning for me. About a week ago I started to get a click or tap feeling in the bars at times. More likely when I first start to move or brake and once or twice when turning the bars or impacting something like a sidewalk. It is a sharp click like a stone hitting the frame. I couldn't find a cause and nor could the LBS. The bike runs normally. Bars are fine (fully removed), all the shifters etc are solid and the fork, headset etc are OK. It is not from the wheel and if it is the brake pads shifting I would be very surprised. Help please.
    I get a small click in my bars too when really changing heavy weight on the bars. It’s gone on for 6 months or more I don’t remember. I’m guessing its from dirt getting between the bar and stem or stem and spacer. I could probably pull it all apart clean it up and reassemble. But I’d rather ride. Creaks and noises are pretty much impossible to diagnose without handling the bike. See your bike shop for help.

3: To continue the worry, in the last week I have found 2 cracks at the join of the TT and the seatpost and another on top of the BB. I am not game to peel the paint away to assess how deep they are and unless I missed them, the LBS guys did not see them cause they just showed up. I will get some pics up soon. They seem superficial (sweat sweat). Not sure what to do next about this (I am in Australia). I have ridden about 1000km in 3 months on the bke - some fairly fast and rough trail work, but most of it pretty easy on the bike stuff and have had no major stacks or injuries to any other bike part.
    A few painted frames had improper catalyst mix and showed surface crakes in the finish coat. Ibis has replaced those frames under warrantee. You should show your dealer.

mtbr member
    I really felt like it was harder to keep the same pace when I lowered my Talas,but I figured it was my imagination,I can see no logical reasons for this so I dismissed it.Cant be.
    milesW

Unpredictable
    Thanks Derby. I did post a reply yesterday so no idea where that went. Will check with the dealer re the finish and am more comfortable about the tapping after your comment. Actually it did not do it today.
    The Talas issue is more of a curiosity - I am just interested in the physics of it. Thanks Miles for your input. I know what you mean about having no explanation and dismissing it. It's nothing to do with terrain variations and is more obvious on pavement. Perhaps having more weight over the front wheel may be a factor, but it feels more than that. I cannot imagine chain tension would alter. Could it be something to do with the DW link??

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I got a few clicks to - very similar to what you described. First time around it was a loose head / stem. Second time was the seatpost over the minimum. No more clicks now. Hope you work it out.