mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Feeler, snow coming thinking of selling Ripley.... help

So,
    as the title says, this is a feeler for reselling a freakin' sweet ibis. I thought this forum might help.

any feedback for pricing?
    One summer riding, L blk, w XX1, xt brakes, Specialized Roval Control Carbon rims (these are SWEET, one of the best parts of this build), fox 34 fork, LEV post.
    WTB vigilante front, wolverine rear,
    Bar changed to Race Face Next, Carbon 3/4 inch riser bar, 725mm wide, matching matte carbon and green accents (like this better then ibis bar)
    as new ibis seat,
    did I miss anything?

Thanks for any feedback, I figure it was about $9000 w/ the carbon wheels (I got a few hundred resale for the arch stock wheels).

I bought in May, so rode about 6 months (except smokey august), I average about 2 to 5 hrs a week XC riding, so maybe 80 hrs on the bike, looking great and just broken in. Drivetrain has maybe 30 hrs on it, as I bought it at the end of summer to replace XT. (I"m 45, 168lbs, and a finesse XC guy, so not any real abuse)

I also have original XT drivetrain w/ the hive double crank, pulled off the bike, and could sell with that for maybe around $800 less then the 2 month old XX1.

Thx for any feedback.

cheers,
    Holiday
    Last edited by holiday; 11-10-2013 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK,
    i guess no feedback or pricing assistance.
    i went ahead and listed in classifieds for just under 6K.
    seems a good deal for lightly used ripley w/ xx1, fox 34, lev and carbon wheels...

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Bike pricing is always a touchy subject. A lot of people feel that their ride is worth more than it is and when the honest answers come through....

Sounds like you chose a good starting price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I saw your ad..my reaction was that you're unlikely to fetch $6k for it...despite the fact that it's a sweet bike. but you never know...I'd say $5k would be a relative slam-dunk (I say that because I'd probably buy it from you for $5k despite already having a ripley.)

Too Much Fun
    For a bike a season old, that's been ridden you're going to take at LEAST 1/3 of the value off of retail right off the bat, often more.

$6K bike new = $4K maybe and that's at best.
    - -benja- -

Dropshot Champ!
    There might be someone to pay 5-6k for it.

There is always someone. Gotta find em though. I'd guess in the 4 range with the carbon wheels being a huge selling point. 5-6 thousand dollars for a used bike is a little hard to swallow.

Are the wheels the new hookless fantastic ones? Is the fork a 2013? Is it upgraded to the newer damper, was it recalled?

XX1 doesn't cost that much new, people can find it for pretty good deals these days.

Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    For a bike a season old, that's been ridden you're going to take at LEAST 1/3 of the value off of retail right off the bat, often more.

$6K bike new = $4K maybe and that's at best.
    +1 - and I would sell before a new model revision gets announced or it will be worse.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The seasons will change, then you will be missing your "freakin sweet" ripley and wondering "what hell was I thinking?" Ha.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    True. Six grand used and no warranty is a tough pill to swallow.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac