mtbr member

EWS Round 1 in Rotorua NZ

Does Mavs come in here any more? Awesome that the first round of the EWS will be in Rotorua NZ next year. Might have to make the trip down in March!! Can't wait to see the rest of the schedule now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Does Mavs come in here any more? Awesome that the first round of the EWS will be in Rotorua NZ next year. Might have to make the trip down in March!! Can't wait to see the rest of the schedule now.
    I just saw that, too. I rode Rotorua a couple of weeks ago - a big change from my normal southern California fare! Of course, EWS will be in March - the perfect time of year! It was rainy and super muddy in places when I rode it. Still, lots of good riding there! (I also hear there is great riding on the South Island. Too cold and snowy this time of year, but it would be great in March. If you do get to NZ, you should see if you can ride the South Island too.)

mtbr member
    Was the trip worth it? Riding in NZ is on my bucket list.

OriginalDonk
    Having ridden all over the world I can confidently state that riding in Rotorua is top tier. Book your flight SP and you won't be disappointed. The thing about New Zealand is everything is compact so you'll go from rocky alpine above treeline to stuff that looks more Oregon to the Santa Cruz style hero dirt interspersed with roots in a very small area. Exceptional value for your travel. Awesome to hear. The locals would say "sweet as."

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Was the trip worth it? Riding in NZ is on my bucket list.
    Sorry I missed this post. YES! It was definitely worth the trip! My trip to NZ was a spur-of-the-moment add-on to a business trip to Australia. I had only 4 days, and I crammed a lot into that time. The riding was really nice - it would have been better if it wasn't pouring rain, so a trip during a different season would have nicer (though they are having a nice stretch of good weather right now), but it was still great. If I could, I would ride both islands; I really want to get back for the South Island riding.