Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mtb Guide

EWS Rd 7, "Finale" 2013, FINALE LIGURE Superenduro PRO Italy, 19-20 OCT

So here it is the big Finale, titles won, but you only remember who wins the last race, so still lots to race for, couldn't think of a better place to finish, tough location, should go off!

Who's your picks, been a bit of a gap since Rd6
    Will that have helped some, or a bit of rest to recharge heal for the leaders of all season.
    All will be winners on the day.

Should be EPIC, sure the after party will be legendary!

Braap!

mtbr member
    I think that JC is going to be tough to beat now that he does not have to worry about the title. Graves is going to be a threat for Stage wins although I would love to see him take the entire round. Third will be up for grabs, but Barel will be right there in it. Bring it on!

Mtb Guide
    Concur SP, but would not be surprised to see Gravey dominate either I think hes found his mojo, but then this is Finale and its a tough one!
    Fab could take it too or Jerome!

Lets Rumble!

Mtb Guide
    From Enduro Mag

26 nations will be represented at the Superenduro powered by SRAM in Finale Ligure this weekend. The world of enduro has never before seen a start list like this. For the final stage of the 2013 Superenduro PRO circuit and the Enduro World Series, it will truly be an international festival of enduro.

braap!

Mtb Guide
    Love Europe, so could move they're and Italy wow, the history the riding
    the siesta's the woman and the food and drink the passion lol.

mountain biker
    details!: Enduro World Series 2013 Final Round - Finale Ligure Course Preview - Press Releases - Vital MTB

there seems to be lots of pedalling in the transitions. lots. definitely one for the more fit riders.

Since Lau and JC rode the Trans Provence, I'm going to say they're doing quite well in the fitness department. Grubby too, but maybe not like this... It seems the italians are well versed in this type of racing (Ducci and Lupato), as is Rιmy Absalon. Can't count Barel out.

I'll put Lau, JC, Absalon, Ducci and Barel in the top-5.

Anyone know if Lopes is racing? This seems like his type of course...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    If I did my math correctly there is over 8,000' of climbing!! Fitness is going to matter on this round.

I think Lopes has pretty much retired now with the birth of his son. Definitely not at the race because he is posting rides here is Socal today on Strava. He showed up to the Whistler event and decided not to race describing the courses as racing WC DH on trail bikes. Everyone else said it was one of the best rounds yet. He was also riding the Ripley again and probably thought they were going to race down A Line. Not sure why he would make the same bike mistake twice, but the Ripley would have probably been the right choice for the Colorado round.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post

I am with you there although I would have to be single with all of the dark hair/dark skin women around!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I am with you there although I would have to be single with all of the dark hair/dark skin women around!

Haha love it such a good call, just so happens Im single if not for TGB I would be gone for sure!

I love European women so chilled and un pretenious and latin lol
    though I do have a very soft spot for Southern Bells of the US as well.

Just in keeping with making this thread even more entertaining

Mtb Guide
    If I did my math correctly there is over 8,000' of climbing!! Fitness is going to matter on this round.

I think Lopes has pretty much retired now with the birth of his son. Definitely not at the race because he is posting rides here is Socal today on Strava. He showed up to the Whistler event and decided not to race describing the courses as racing WC DH on trail bikes. Everyone else said it was one of the best rounds yet. He was also riding the Ripley again and probably thought they were going to race down A Line. Not sure why he would make the same bike mistake twice, but the Ripley would have probably been the right choice for the Colorado round.
    Yeah weird about Lopes nice vid of him on his HDR with Nino!

Why he didnt choose his HDR I dont get it, its like at times people get so wrapped up trying to justify wheel size just ride is fun and imo the right tool for the job, anyway I'm sort of over it al, just want to see great competition on worthy trails, this looks like it will def do that.

8000ft thats how it should be, you should have to earn the descents. I've alway believed this even though I'm crap uphills, lest it not a race uphill!

I was talking to a dude today who did the Colorado round he said each stage were very different and the jumps even though tables on the bike park section were huge and he is quick.

Good info and links slyfink!

Mtb Guide
    Some HD action @ rd 7

Mtb Guide

Listen!

Credit-SuperEnduro

Manuel D, balance practice before the finals

Credit Enduro-mtb

Mtb Guide

Stage Videos

mtbr member
    Who is that in the first set of pics? Did Ducci go back to the HD from the HD-R? I swear I saw him on a new bike a few rounds ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ducci looks to be riding a Ripley this weekend. Some other smaller bikes too, Bryceland rocking a 5010, not a Bronson.

I'm pretty sure I saw Lopes with an HD in Whistler, if fact, didn't he race A-Line on it? Wasn't there a profile feature here showing his Bike Co setup HD? Don't see why he wouldn't of brought both to ride Whis. Really too bad if hes dissing courses, the guy can ****in' ride.

mtbr member

I couldn't have said it better myself! Finale is so awesome; my non-riding wife loved it too with all the historical sites, scenery, and outstanding food (pesto mare). Funny story. We were in Sauze and my wife was considering driving two hours from there to Finale just to have the pesto mare dish again. Gotta love a riding destination where a non-riding sig. other is equally stoked! So much going on in that region all within a few hours.

Can't wait to see more of the video coverage!

Mtb Guide
    Who is that in the first set of pics? Did Ducci go back to the HD from the HD-R? I swear I saw him on a new bike a few rounds ago.
    Nah thats another Life cycles team rider cant remember his name, he's Italian though lol.

edit rider is : Dorian Zuretti

Thats MD riding the wall though!

This is a tough event, possibly some of the toughest trails yet lots of climbing in transitions but that's not what's going to hurt if he's not on an HD or HDR it could hurt even more, just wonder if this is the same stuff with Lopes, MD was doing great when he focused more on riding and less on what wheels size to play around with.

In fact he was knocking on the door of the next step, since messing with smaller forks, 650b and if 29ers well it ain't working to date, he's been going back in pack faster than Hollywood ejecting over the Indian Ocean after getting downed by that dirte Mig haha.

Funny guys at the top, like Jerome and Gravsey stayed true all season and dominated not changed much, says allot, don't fix what ain't broke, and those not bringing home the bacon are focusing on the wrong **** as usual, but this is not new, guys struggling at anything always look for something no else to gain an edge instead of looking within!

Same in DH, top 2 or 3 usually pretty stable with equipment all season long while the pack is fracking with **** trying to figure it out, when its right if front of them!

I have no idea what he'll be running this event, interesting with him his GF has stayed pretty stable on the HD running a Veng up from while MD went Slant and she has continually improved riding a heavier bike, while he has continually gotten worse, just an observation, big fan but never good when you start trying everything in the cupboard, go back to basics of what was successful & rebuild.
    Last edited by Maverick005; 10-19-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Ducci looks to be riding a Ripley this weekend. Some other smaller bikes too, Bryceland rocking a 5010, not a Bronson.

I'm pretty sure I saw Lopes with an HD in Whistler, if fact, didn't he race A-Line on it? Wasn't there a profile feature here showing his Bike Co setup HD? Don't see why he wouldn't of brought both to ride Whis. Really too bad if hes dissing courses, the guy can ****in' ride.
    Have no idea what Ducci"s doing, seems like he know has too many choices, pity, his star was really rising.

Youd never know with Lopesy, he's developing for Ibis anyway isn't that the case so you'd expect him to rock what ever suits, personally I don't care what bikes people ride, but I'd like to see a one bike choice for season, you get your choice up front and thats it, anything else goes, tires suspension, you cant change bikes in an event so Lopes couldn't ride both anyway, so why not for the whole season, not everyone can afford 3 bikes let alone two, we don't want this to get like the Americas cup or anything, its supposed to be more open than the ranks of DH and XC so one bike season makes much more sense to me.

The (Han) Solo or 5010 as it's now called is pretty cool we bike, be interesting to see how JB goes sure hell have fun thats for sure!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself! Finale is so awesome; my non-riding wife loved it too with all the historical sites, scenery, and outstanding food (pesto mare). Funny story. We were in Sauze and my wife was considering driving two hours from there to Finale just to have the pesto mare dish again. Gotta love a riding destination where a non-riding sig. other is equally stoked! So much going on in that region all within a few hours.

Can't wait to see more of the video coverage!
    Yeah dude got me even more keen, def going they're sometime, holiday might have to time it with next years event!

Mtb Guide
    Them some mean stages! Jamie Nicol reckons as hard if not harder than Whistler, rain for Sunday making the cobbles stones tricky, could be slick!Stage 2 super tight corners, I dunno why you'd choose a 29er for this one, the dude on 27.5 Cube seemed to struggle making some of the corners on stage 2. Right tool for the job here!Going to be a tough one!

Mtb Guide

Raw

Watch I think its Manuel Ducci @ 1min,30s looks like he is on his HD

Sic line and super sweet cornering and darn fast too, fastest on that corner by heaps, awesome, quite a big Ibis action in this one, should please me ole mucka from Aus, my02

Ps my02 ABs vs Aussies tonight in Dunnos, loses shouts a beer next time bro

Dam forgot the link, muppet!

cred: Vitalmtb

Mtb Guide

Ratboy

Rat boy Riding the Millenium Falcon with 203mm rear rotor, no sign of Chewie!
    little bike big brakes in Finale

Jamie Nicol, rocking the trusty Nomad, fresh bearings, change to Rockshox hot suspension for 2013/14!

As only Italy can do

MD and Davide Sonnacotta

XF decked HD, Lifecycles team

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Watch I think its Manuel Ducci @ 1min,30s looks like he is on his HD

Sic line and super sweet cornering and darn fast too, fastest on that corner by heaps, awesome, quite a big Ibis action in this one, should please me ole mucka from Aus, my02

Ps my02 ABs vs Aussies tonight in Dunnos, loses shouts a beer next time bro

Dam forgot the link, muppet!

cred: Vitalmtb
    Except the only other one to make the corner was on a long chainstay 29er :0, haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Martin Maes, what a ****in' phenom!!! Although I don't get it, some races (actually it seams like the Italian ones) they include him with the adults, and others they put him in Junior. All year hes been placing pretty consistently in 4ourth among the overall in the EWS.

Mtb Guide
    Jared Graves leads after day one!

Serious rider injury on stage meant stage 4 cancelled.

Nico Lau penalized for a time control delay

AC leading Tracey!

Kiwis tearing it up, Gabby Molloy local girl and Rosara Joseph these girls and like Jamie Nicol showing it about riding skills, fitness not about big bike big budgets and or teams, another thing I like that Enduro throws up, it's about the rider how it should be.

Full details on Vitalmtb here

Mtb Guide
    Some more classic images!
    Cred PB
    MDs girlfriend Valentina showing this is the life. HDR & 27.5

Cedric sporting the battle scars from partying the night before

MD def on the Ripley and behind his friend and nemesis David Sottocornola!

Previous images clone of Ducci and exceptionally fast, except for riding the wall are all of Dorian Zurreti, one to watch in the future

Cred unknown, sic tee shirt think I need one I ride like a girl, but don't look this good!

Mtb Guide
    Except the only other one to make the corner was on a long chainstay 29er :0, haha.
    Not that long thats a Stumpy 29er, but did you see how he had to enter like a slalom skier on the downhill before the corner to line it up, very smart riding not fast but very effective, though showing what you have to do on those Wagon wheels different riding style, saying that it was faster than those who didn't make it

Dorian punched it, smashed it like Han Solo giving Chewi the thumbs up for hyperdrive! Yeooooooooow!

And Swen Fbomb, like a Boss as Dorian roosted his arse!

Mtb Guide
    Right have to go trail build.

Keep it coming guys and take the horns while I'm away getting my dig on

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So do Valentina and ACC ride 130mm HDR with 27.50 wheel? I think MD rides Ripley this time.
    I am not sure if 130mm is enough for EWS.
    good luck to all ibis riders.

mtbr member
    They were smashing it in the raw footage and you can see the speed difference between JC/JG and everyone else. Those guys are on a whole different level. Mav I agree with you that the guys sticking with the same hardware throughout the year have the best chance of success, but I think that the results would have been similar no matter what wheel size JC/JC/FB/MM were on. I have all three (26/275/29) in my garage right now and all 160 bikes. Each has it's own relative strengths and weaknesses. It is really what anyone is used too.

Amazing that Nico Lau would have won without the time penalty. My understanding is that he missed a time cutoff for some reason. Haven't heard much beyond that, but it is a huge improvement over his results previously in the season. Martin Maes was KILLING it. Disappointing that the UCI won't rank him with the Pro's. It should be his choice what class he races and he obviously has the speed. It was also cool to see Nino Schurter's speed as well. Looked to be top 10/15 on average which also gives a very good idea how fast these guys are really going. Looking at the leader board is a who's who of MTB racing. Bummed the season is over, but it is time to start training for next year!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    So do Valentina and ACC ride 130mm HDR with 27.50 wheel? I think MD rides Ripley this time.
    I am not sure if 130mm is enough for EWS.
    good luck to all ibis riders.
    Probably not enough for us mortals
    Lots of these stages in this round I bet are way steeper harder than what the piccs do justice too as well.

Valentina's choice compared to her BFs Ripley choice is interesting, she's done this all season an all respect to her, maybe its team planned maybe its her personal pref, normally girls ride lighter more pedally bikes but she's seemed to have stayed on what works best for the technical or thats my observation and not substantiated on anything other than what see in front of me.

Mtb Guide
    They were smashing it in the raw footage and you can see the speed difference between JC/JG and everyone else. Those guys are on a whole different level. Mav I agree with you that the guys sticking with the same hardware throughout the year have the best chance of success, but I think that the results would have been similar no matter what wheel size JC/JC/FB/MM were on. I have all three (26/275/29) in my garage right now and all 160 bikes. Each has it's own relative strengths and weaknesses. It is really what anyone is used too.

Amazing that Nico Lau would have won without the time penalty. My understanding is that he missed a time cutoff for some reason. Haven't heard much beyond that, but it is a huge improvement over his results previously in the season. Martin Maes was KILLING it. Disappointing that the UCI won't rank him with the Pro's. It should be his choice what class he races and he obviously has the speed. It was also cool to see Nino Schurter's speed as well. Looked to be top 10/15 on average which also gives a very good idea how fast these guys are really going. Looking at the leader board is a who's who of MTB racing. Bummed the season is over, but it is time to start training for next year!
    Well said SP, I do agree with staying with what you know and bike! I dunno though I'm still not sure, would have to see some of those riders on that one bike all season to measure that KPI bro.

Not picking on MD, but he was on the rise in the early part of the season the slipped back bit by bit I was expecting him to regularly reach top 10 until he started playing with lighter suspension and then 27.5 now Ripley on what is if not the hardest round of all!

The industry will force riders to the one wheel k have no doubts about it regardless of what I think personally, it won't be the death of 26" or 29" like some wish or want but they will become less and less visible!

I hope the tracks courses don't become lame because of this, though it seems thats what modern MTB and people want!

Even Jerome says he will likely be on a 27.5 next year, interesting that Fab and Jerome say they still prefer 26" but its about selling bikes to masses of couch potatoes.

I have already put my name on 2 for my business next year, because thats why people want, I'll still ride my trusty HD.

Anyway enough about bloody wheel sizes, Yeah Nico Lau seems to have got it together recently, I see his penalty as no different though to Fabians, he made the error, bit like missing a score on your golf card, its a technicality, recently I watched people cheat in a race it cut out a good 10 seconds of trail, I had to make a pass twice as I had to repays them again so they held me up twice, they did not see it as cheating, they tried tomb stiff it by saying it was not much, they cost me a minute on that stage and blew me up for the rest of the race, rules are they're to provide a level playing field as much as that is possible, it's not different to course cutting or making a mistake and crashing and getting a slower time than a competitor knowing you are faster its racing. Maybe the hardest lesson a technical rule, but everyone who's raced knows that can happen.

Like you I feel for him as I did for Fabian once the real truth was exposed they're.

Maes time will come, he's a rare talent. Rule is they're for the 99.9% who wouldn't be able to handle the top step at that age, so he will get his chance! definitely going to be changes when he steps up.

Nino, Julien Absalon I watched him ride here once and he was amazing, so they can kill it and could adapt very easily I think, just leave the Lycra at home.

Def bummer season is done, it will be very quiet now

Good thoughts SP

Mtb Guide
    Also re Manuel Ducci he is one of my fav riders too, he's been in my EWS team all season long!

Oh and congrats to MD and to the LifeCycles team for winning the SuperEnduro title!!

Probably his main goal for the year!

Will post pic later

mtbr member
    Raw video from day 2. Watch Lau vs JC and Fab in the corner and you can see how well he was riding this weekend. Are these his home trails? Also, watching these guys I think that I am too easy on my equipment. They are just pounding their bikes and you can see why they need such high pressures, both suspension and tires vs the rest of us mortals!!

RAW: Enduro World Series Finale Ligure Race Runs - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

Mtb Guide
    Raw video from day 2. Watch Lau vs JC and Fab in the corner and you can see how well he was riding this weekend. Are these his home trails? Also, watching these guys I think that I am too easy on my equipment. They are just pounding their bikes and you can see why they need such high pressures, both suspension and tires vs the rest of us mortals!!RAW: Enduro World Series Finale Ligure Race Runs - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

Incredible, most people would struggle to even ride that terrain let alone at speed and still be slow compared to those guys me included.

Jerome at @ 1.55 or so was so quick but so smooth through those switch backs.

I don't care how people justify it or what they say but 26" looks faster and smoother in the tight switch backs like that, JC made a 3 time WC downhill champion look average in that section and Nico Lau is fighting his bike for control through they're. In real terrain like that I wonder how results would have panned out if a one wheel size std was enforced, to me those trails beg 6" 26" dialled bike, where as the Enduro I just did, begged for a Ripley! I'll say this for the last time, for me its not about one wheel size or other its about the right tool for the right job.

incredibly 3 Privateers all Kiwis Rosara Joseph SB66c, Jamie Nicol, SC Nomad, was riding on Fox, now full RS Pike MP rear, and Gabby Molloy SB66c all 26" and smacking pro teams and stars, didn't expect that, thats what's so cool about EWS that riders with no or little support can compete and beat the stars on skill pretty rare at this level in any other discipline, can't think of an example, props to them amazing results.

Jerome reminds me of an Enduro version of Sam Hill at his best on his IH Sunday WC very still relaxed but stable, bike very neutral no weird bike stuff happening just controlled speed when everyone else looks fast but almost out of control these too just have that style and speed that looks effortless.

I just hope for future EWS courses do not get dumbed down and suffer the fate XC, DH and 4Cross especially have endured, even though I was never much of a 4X fan, prefer DS much more sad to see.

The speeds though are DH worthy at WC level, I think thats Peaty on head cam wouldn't want to clip a tree thank goodness Full Faces are mandatory just insane but so awesome.

A worthy final at a worthy destination for a worthy winner! Both men's and Women's.

Like you said Martin Maes is going to be a superstar at the right time that EWS has come along, if he stays healthy JC & Jared might hang with him for a year or 2 but they better win what they can in the next few years huh.

Cant wait for the Chille round next season to see what they throw up. Gonna be Epic!

Mtb Guide
    Another sic vid SP

cred SuperEnduro

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/77409904?color=ffffff" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/77409904">#SuperEnduro2013 - EWS #7 - PRO6 Finale Ligure - Highlights</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/superenduro">Superenduro TV</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Nico Lau back up to 6th he was on fire at this round, pity it took him so long to find form, in he end Jared and JC quite a fair way ahead in points as not to be under pressure like you as you said in an earlier round.

Still like to see added points per stage at a value like qualifying in DH and on top an overall points per round that would could make it even more exciting and more to gain and lose.

Tracey as well bouncing back to re over take AC, didn't expect that great ride from her, Enduro really seems to suit her! Be interesting next year if anyone else in women's can step up to consistently challenge her an AC

Emmeline Ragot would if she raced the whole series but I don't see her retiring from DH for awhile yet.

mtbr member
    Totally agree with you that they should award points on a per stage basis with a bonus for the overall. Should be similar to outdoor motocross. Lau looked cleaner than anyone else. Just flowing through the corners and nailing every line in the videos.

Just let go. Let go!
    Raw video from day 2. Watch Lau vs JC and Fab in the corner and you can see how well he was riding this weekend. Are these his home trails? Also, watching these guys I think that I am too easy on my equipment. They are just pounding their bikes and you can see why they need such high pressures, both suspension and tires vs the rest of us mortals!!
    What tire pressure do they run?

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by yugi View Post
    What tire pressure do they run?

Jared Graves' Bike Setup EWS #7 Finale Ligure
    Frame – Yeti SB66c Medium
    Fork – Fox 34 float 2014 160mm
    Rear Suspension – Fox Float X
    Seatpost – Thomson Elite dropper
    Wheels – DT Swiss 240 hubs, 500 rims, and Aerolite spokes, alloy nipples
    Tires – Maxxis Minion 2.5 EXO, ghetto/split tube tubeless. 27psi F, 30psi R
    Brakes – Shimano XTR race lever, Saint calipers, 180mm Ice-Tech Rotors
    Derailleur – Shimano XTR Shadow Plus
    Cranks – Shimano XTR 170-millimeter with Stages Power Meter
    Chainring – Shimano Saint 36-tooth
    Cassette – Shimano XTR 11-36
    Pedals – Shimano XTR trail
    Chainguide – E13 LG1
    Bars and Stem – Renthal 740mm Fatbar lite, 20mm rise, and 50mm Duo stem
    Headset – Chris King
    Grips – ODI Ruffian MX

Martin Maes

It gets even more interesting when you take a close look at Maes' wheel and tire setup, with a set of un-labeled aluminum rims laced to Shimano XTR hubs with aluminum nipples. The 650B rims appear to be from Stan's, which would make sense given that the GT team has used them in the past, and Nati did admit that Maes runs a tubeless setup with 28PSI up front and 29PSI out back - how exact are you with your tire pressure?

mtbr member
    Everyone seems to be in the 25-28 lbs front and 30 lbs rear. I have just upped my pressures from 22F/24R to 25F/30R so I can hit the rocks harder and faster. Realized I was holding back to preserve my rims a little.

mtbr member
    Dirt TV edit dropped yesterday

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://mpora.com/videos/AAdm3kpwgf5m/embed" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="http://mpora.com/videos/AAdm3kpwgf5m">DirtTV: Enduro World Series Round 7 Finale Roundup</a> a <a href="http://mpora.com/mountainbiking">Mountain Biking video by orpheusproductions</a></p>

mtbr member
    Everyone seems to be in the 25-28 lbs front and 30 lbs rear. I have just upped my pressures from 22F/24R to 25F/30R so I can hit the rocks harder and faster. Realized I was holding back to preserve my rims a little.
    I'm surprised Graves can run a single ply rear tire at 30 psi, especially with the EWS rule that you must finish your race on the same wheels you start with. I guess my frame of reference is calibrated more towards getting a full season of use out of a rim rather than just needing to finish a race, but I would have rim strikes left and right running 30psi in a single ply rear riding rocky gnar at race pace. I generally run 32-35 (rear) depending on the course and still occasionally hear the sickening thunk of a rock bottoming out my tire on my rim. then proceed to hold breath and wait to see if tire has punctured or rim has cracked/delaminated... I suppose if I had factory support and was running aluminum rims 30psi would probably be fine, I'd just have my mechanic lace up new rims as necessary between races.

Mtb Guide
    Yeah I here ya your rocks would probably scare me a bit haha, gonna ride some rock on Sunday, Volcanic stuff with thermal stuff rising out of the ground all around us

Remember though these guys aren't running lightweight weenie tires either, 2.5, 2.4 continentals are like truck tires, Ive run these pressures for years but then we don't have allot of rocks like you guys do or I don't ride many trails with rocks here, down south different story.

Same in DH for me I preferred traction while keeping good sidewall stability important in DH but still on dual ply tires so pressure was very much the same, wider rims, rarely ever suffered a flat in racing, odd one in practice, I chose my rims well for DH and I ran tubes and always used good tires.

Maxxis EXO casing is stiffer side wall than std as well. I'm running a 2.4Ardent up front now, Tubeless and loving its so much grip and have been impressed, I was an original early adopter of UST back when it first hit the scene but on bigger tires and bikes, never really got into it, I'm DH I liked to change tires for conditions, everything else stayed the same, but I was very tire specific for racing.

Jared runs Ghetto tubeless its pretty bombproof and 2.5 as well

Plus what many forget is how these guys ride, unlike most they don't smash into rocks anything looking like a rim stopper is popped jumped or boosted to safety which is faster anyway than smashing through it.

Remy Absalon runs a 2.4 Ardent up front and Larsen TT 2.35 rear, so,wish I could get some EXO Larsen TTs this is one of my all time fav tires, nice low side wall height, I like that for tire stability in corners, rolls fast, super grippy for its tread, corners like a demon, my go to tire for dual slalom, instead I swap between an ICON and ARDENT but neither have the all round ability of the Larsen TT.

mountain biker
    Aren't Absalon's Larsen's a DH casing (as opposed to EXO)? I've seen them on Maxxis' website, but never at a retailer. Maybe they are pro-only? I run a 2.35 High Roller DH casing on my rear when I want to use my trail bike for more gnarly purposes than trail riding. They work awesome tubeless on Stans rims... and I'm 215 before gear (and clothes)....
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Like Mav said, he's running EXO which are 1 1/2 ply essentially and a HELL of a lot more robust than single plys. I switched to EXOs for the Whistler race from single ply Butcher Controls and absolutely no worries. They have been beastly however when trail riding, you would think after a few months of this setup I would get used to it but I still find them sluggish on the climbs.

This is the problem the 29er guys like Curtis Keene are having, they only have single ply tires available and are flatting too much. I discussed this with Curtis and Anneke back in Whis and they said they were working on getting Maxxis on board but I noticed they were still running Specialized here in Finale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I tried an exo 2.5" minion dhf on the rear for a while but I could feel the sidewalls flex and had a few pinch flats compared to when I ran the 2.35" DH Larsen, which I haven't been able to get hold of again. I was surprised by the sidewall flex as I usually run about 40 psi to save my rear rim. For the last year or so I have been running a LUST crosmark 2.25". I normally would of written this of as an xc tyre but a chance meeting with a nice Canadian bloke at Stromlo put me onto these tyres. He turned out to be a SRAM rep and a friend of a friend who has been an Aus womens DH champ, who got me the DH larsen. The crossmark fits my old flow rims so tight that I ran it without sealant for about a year until I got a slow leak from a metal sliver while riding on the road. The only minor problem with it is that it has developed a little bit of a bulge that makes it look like the rim is buckled. It is only barley off balance and I only notice while riding on smooth roads. It is nearly worn out and I got a good deal on a DH high roller that I will ghetto tubless for summer park riding at Thredbo.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Aren't Absalon's Larsen's a DH casing (as opposed to EXO)? I've seen them on Maxxis' website, but never at a retailer. Maybe they are pro-only? I run a 2.35 High Roller DH casing on my rear when I want to use my trail bike for more gnarly purposes than trail riding. They work awesome tubeless on Stans rims... and I'm 215 before gear (and clothes)....
    Yeah I think I can get a few of those, so might stock pile some, like you say Maxxis don't do EXO in the Larsen that I'm aware of, thats just what I want, my wish list to Maxxis tires if they're listening haha.

Our dirt is so good, rarely have I have a flat, maybe one in 2 years and I put that down to using an older very old now Minion DHR 2.35 SP for a muddy Enduro back in May, pinched flatted towards the end 3 corners to go, still ran across the finish though, still running DH casings and 2.5 in 2ply not required, I like a big tire up front for cornering, So have an HR2 in EXO if needed about as hard core as ya need here.

Funny you say that Ive always liked the DH casing bead on the older 2.35s than the Kev bead, they feel better more lively and not heavy, will experiment again with Larsen wire bead 2.35.

NZL 62 is riding pretty hard conditions down south he's trying out the HR2s TR 2.3s around 800gr should be a good choice as well for what you guys ride maybe, lighter faster but still stiff and stout enough for rocks.

Mtb Guide
    Like Mav said, he's running EXO which are 1 1/2 ply essentially and a HELL of a lot more robust than single plys. I switched to EXOs for the Whistler race from single ply Butcher Controls and absolutely no worries. They have been beastly however when trail riding, you would think after a few months of this setup I would get used to it but I still find them sluggish on the climbs.

This is the problem the 29er guys like Curtis Keene are having, they only have single ply tires available and are flatting too much. I discussed this with Curtis and Anneke back in Whis and they said they were working on getting Maxxis on board but I noticed they were still running Specialized here in Finale.
    I guess the hard part too is development for the bigger wheel the equivalent tire in a heavy duty casing or dual will add a fair bit more heft, peeps here having same probs with 27.5 want meatier tires than 2.25s but its all thats available and once they get say an equivalent tire size model say HR or Min2 will be interesting see how they enjoy the added weight.

The bigger contact patch on a bigger wheel with XC tires doesn't have as big as effect as a 2.4 dual ply or stiffer casing, but that bigger contact patch on that 2.4 heavier tire will be bigger drag especially uphill, not so much going down maybe still be they're for acceleration out of corners but will affect timing between transfer stages, increased tiredness etc etc be interesting how that plays out.

Sure they will have many options for next year, everyone's going to be running them!

Mtb Guide
    Dirt TV edit dropped yesterday

Sick edit huh.

Maritn Maes hitting that drop and immediately able to somehow get around that rock, think he would have just boosted it on landing except for the photo journo in the way

Great riding gonna miss this series till next year

mtbr member
    I think a 29'r is just the wrong choice for EWS style events. US type Enduro's are great for them because they are not as rough or tight. Similar to Santa Cruz' stunt at this round Specialized is putting marketing ahead of results for Keene and Berteen.

I have no problem getting my Enduro 29 around tight corners but I think at race pace is would be harder to adapt to course changes. In addition it is probably fractionally slower around each of those tight corners that would add up over a longer segment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast