Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mtb Guide

EWS Rd 6 AUG VAL d'ISÈRE France 24-25

2 rounds left

And back to Europe!

Jared has his back up can he continue with some good luck, or will the Euro Empire strike back with Jerome, Fabian and co!

Will Tracey Mosely ride a 36er shes ridden every other wheel size? Or will AC continue her comeback after dominating in Whistler!

Bring it on

mtbr member
    So how pissed is Fab Fabian after last week? That is the question. There is no doubt who the fastest three riders are right now. Question is who will survive? My guess is Barel, Graves, Clementz. I think at this point JC is going to protect his points lead. If he doesn't do anything stupid he will be the first ever Enduro World Champion. Pretty big prize to have your eye on...

In the women I think something similar will play out. AC is going to dominate going forward. TMo is going to protect her points lead (I am not even sure she hasn't wrapped up the championship already). AB will be in third.

Git'r Done!

Mtb Guide
    Def pissed, and more so about the lack of consistency rather than the penalty, I think all parties made mistakes, it was just managed very badly imo!
    I agree with the rest of hour breakdown too, maybe slightly altered though, cant see unless injury that those 3 wont end up being top 3 now that Nico is out.

Not so sure about Jerome being protective, he did win 4 of the 5 stages last week and even he was surprised how much Jared took out of him on that long hard stage, probably just says how fricken fast and maybe on the edge Jared was as Jerome is one of those freaky riders that seem effortless and more in control when riding fast and consistent.

If he slowed down he would probably crash. Just my thought I think Jerome is just very very smart strong and skilled all round rider, Fabian, Jared will always a threat and will definitely will be they're who's 1,2 or 3 @ each round is a lottery on reliability of bike setup for me. Fabian will be interesting to watch though, he's got nothing to lose now, more pressure on Jared re points though I think now for overall.

Like you barring injury Tracey should walk in on points, AC to take the top spot in the next 2 rounds also barring injury, which I hope does not come into play, no one wants to win that way.

No doubt it will be the best riders thats for sure though that are crowned 2013 EWS Enduro champions!

Mtb Guide
    This round is also Enduro Des Nations, nation against nation as well as EWS series! This will be epic, France are current Nations champions!
    Good bet they will again as probably strongest fields in both men's and women's! Sic! Im sorta stoked they're back in Europe too, Americas was great, just feels like home in Europe for Enduro.

Heres the guts!

Enduro Series / EWS / E-MTN -Val d'Isere race infos
    From Monday 19 th to Thurday 22TH

Walking & riding strictly forbiden on stages

Thurday22 th of August 2013 Val D'Isere

21h00 : Racing tracks display opposite to the team paddock and on news

Friday23 th of August 2013 Val D'Isere

From 6h00 to 21h00 :Authorised walking stages, riding strictly forbiden, lift access allowed and free
    From 17h00 to 23h00: Collect your number,bike technical controls, information about the race and racing track at Val d Isere Club Sport.
    19h30 : Racer's briefing at Val d Isere Club Sport.

Saturday 24TH of August 2013 Val D'Isere

8h to 12h30 : 1 x SP1 practice and 2 x SP1chrono
    13h to 17h15 : 1 x SP2 practice and 2 x SP2 chrono
    18h00 : Presentation of Enduro of Nations Teams and Saturday awards ceremony (tourism information place)
    18h30 : Short drink (tourism information place)

Sunday 25 th of August 2013 Val D'Isere

8h to 14h : 1 x SP3 practice and 2 x SP3 chrono
    14h30 : Stage mass start for trophy of nations riders only
    16h : Awards ceremony (tourism information place)

MORE INFORMATIONS

Please give the transponder back to the PC race.

Rules, some key points

- Compulsory equipment: CE certified full-face helmet, full length gloves, knee pads, elbow pads and back protector are compulsory. A backpack can replace the back protector only if it includes a CE certified back protection. Wearing a full-face helmet is compulsory at all time (stages and liaisons).

- Track walk: No track walk on the bike would be permitted the days prior to the event as soon as the stages are marked or being marked. Track walks on foot are allowed on the Friday prior to the race.

- Assistance: Assistance is strictly forbidden outside of the dedicated areas. On the original Enduro Series / French Enduro Cup, these areas are limited to the paddock.

- Equipment tagging: During the race plate collection, each rider will have to come with his bike to get it tagged on the forks, frame, swing arm and wheels.

PLEASE NOTE WHEN COLLECTING THE RACE PLATE

To collect your race plate, you will have to:
    - Show your 2013 UCI license (with a mention of the medical certificate) or a medical certificate allowing you to take part in a MTB race. No other license will be authorized.
    - Come with your bike to get it tagged (wheels, frame, forks and swing arm)
    - Bring a deposit (cycling licence or identity card) to receive the timing chchips.

For those interested in understanding Enduro better these guys have it nailed, something that should have been more clear at the last round, this is definitive re rules of engagement!

Full Rules

mtbr member
    So JC is leading after Stage 1 AGAIN. Barel is in second and Graves is way back in seventh. Any guesses on his mechanical this time?

Mtb Guide
    Yeah JC on it again!

Jamie Nicoll on it again too.

Enduro World Series - Coupe de France Enduro Val dIsère (samedi)
    MANCHE 3 24/08/2013
    Live Liste de départ Classement

0 Disqualifiés : 0
    1 1 CLEMENTZ Jerome homme 1 13:09.104
    2 3 BAREL Fabien homme 2 13:19.474 +10.370
    3 8 LAU Nicolas homme 3 13:34.195 +25.091
    4 9 NICOLL Jamie homme 4 13:48.197 +39.093
    5 71 MAES Martin junior 1 13:49.307 +40.203
    6 4 ABSALON Rémy homme 5 13:49.578 +40.474
    7 10 GRACIA Cedric homme 6 13:49.977 +40.873
    8 2 GRAVES Jared homme 7 13:54.091 +44.987

Leov flats down 8mins!

Mtb Guide
    Looking good

Mtb Guide
    Great day one report here and info on why race start delayed and why no one got to practice stage 1.

Day 1 Race Report Enduro Mag!

Also great piccs!
    You know who you are

mtbr member
    Very interesting day. Graves took stages 1 and 2. JC was running mud tires which probably slowed him down in those first two runs. Skies opened up and guess who was ready for the weather? That's right, Mr Mud Tires dominates the stage! Maes continues to impress and I would expect him to start dominating late next season. Gracia was having a great day right up until he was spotted without a helmet on a liason. Yep, penalty time, but "only" 30 seconds. Barel was solid all day and slipped into second after Graves stage 3 issues. Overall a great day of racing. More EWS tomorrow morning followed by the Enduro Des Nations. My bet for the second part of the day is total French domination.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Very interesting day. Graves took stages 1 and 2. JC was running mud tires which probably slowed him down in those first two runs. Skies opened up and guess who was ready for the weather? That's right, Mr Mud Tires dominates the stage! Maes continues to impress and I would expect him to start dominating late next season. Gracia was having a great day right up until he was spotted without a helmet on a liason. Yep, penalty time, but "only" 30 seconds. Barel was solid all day and slipped into second after Graves stage 3 issues. Overall a great day of racing. More EWS tomorrow morning followed by the Enduro Des Nations. My bet for the second part of the day is total French domination.
    nice stuff SP, been away bit this week so limited time to pump this thread, so good oil.

Mtb Guide
    Jerome takes rd 6 and the EWS overall crown, amazing.

Awesome comeback by Jared Graves to take 2nd over Fabian

and Anne C takes the women's.

Men's Results
    1. Jerome Clementz
    2. Jared Graves
    3. Fabien Barel

Women's Results
    1. Anne-Caroline Chausson
    2. Tracy Moseley

mtbr member
    Pretty incredible results. If Graves had been just a bit more consistent it would have been a totally different result. At almost every race he lost huge chunks of time on a single stage that knocked him out of the win. AC made a huge comeback considering her injuries. You can tell she isn't completely healed by her times on the longer stages. Last race coming up!

Mtb Guide
    Jared Graves pushing too hard early on, consequences!
    Amazing after that to pull it back to 2nd.

Can we have a QOUTE on this Jared!

“My Leg gash from my stage 3 crash… for those people who were asking why I had blood seeping through my shorts” – Jared Graves

Mtb Guide
    Manuel Ducci on the Ripley!

Strange choice for me again, result 24th, so much promise early on in EWS started trying lighter forks shocks to me gone backwards.

If anything Enduro has shown us you use the right tool for the job, not what is popular or pushed by manufactures.
    Everything has a place, nothing is obsolete and thats what I hate! The axe still has a place even though chainsaws have been around for a long time, the Digger might be common in trail building now, but the best trails are still built by sweat and by hand and time!

Congrats to JC and AC, JC achievement imo is almost underrated he has dominated and not just by being consistent, he's at the top of stage wins round wins and knows when to hold it and when to let it got, others time will come, but he will only get better too.

Bring on Rd 7

mtbr member
    guys like Ducci, Lopes etc that are legit podium threats are running whatever bike they think they can win with. if they are choosing to run a Ripley it's because they think it's faster. whether it turns out to be faster after the fact, who knows, but for a lot of guys, the fastest setup is going to be the shortest travel/fastest pedaling rig that they can still pin through the techgnar. (consider that Graves said he plans to race his SB66c on the relatively nontechnical/heavy pedaling PMB course for DH World Champs this weekend...) I totally agree with using the right tool for the job, but with limited practice and last minute unveiling of the EWS tracks it seems like there's a fair amount of speculation involved in picking the tool.

Mtb Guide
    Good points hb.

But if you take your example with Jared, he's smart and very experienced thats the way I would have thought the others like Ducci and co would have also applied.

Jareds been on this bike all season so he's used to it, changing setups rarley and only minor changes, keeping to what you are comfortable and know how you can push is a major advantage ime, this is how I raced once got my bikes dialled, I know everyone is different but under pressure in battle this is what holds you in good stead no matter what people like.

Something Graves and Jerome have done all season they're bikes setups have altered very little, no wheel playing just tires and maybe disc rotor changes! Thats a major advantage in competition esspecially at this level, you see it in any form, F1 MX, theyres a time and a place for development, but champions are made by what you can't see little things not big things, we learnt that the hard a way a few times in Americas cup.

Jared essentially is going to be changing out his XTR for Saint, 34 for 36 180. Will be interesting that track still has a few surprises.

mtbr member
    well Jared and Jerome have been winning races. if it ain't broke... 24th for Ducci is one of his better EWS results isn't it? but regardless, I agree, having a consistent setup week in and week out clearly has benefits.

mtbr member
    Personally changing bikes mid season would totally jack me up. It takes me at least 2 months to adapt to any new rig. If I push too hard during that time frame it is guaranteed that I am going to hit the ground (not that I am doing much better right now!). My bike is like my wife, I know her inside and out and exactly how she will react to almost any situation.

I am surprised the Ducci has still not been seen on an HDR. He is Ibis' top prospect in EWS yet they have him riding a bike that is not even available any longer. It would also make more sense to me for him to have two wheel/suspension setups so that he could ride 275 when the course called for it. This would really demonstrate the flexibility in the HDR setup. But what do I know!

On to JC! Guy is an animal. I don't remember hearing about one crash or mechanical by him in any round. Not even a flat tire! When you take into account that he won a large portion of the stages (40%?) for the entire series it is unbelievable. Compare that to Graves who won a similar stage count, but was down or had a mechanical in almost every stage. I think the women's racing is going to be the best show next year. Watch TMo and AC go at it is awesome. Both are absolute machines! Can't wait for Rd 7 and to get back on the track myself!!!

mtbr member
    Its still just mtn bike racing and not everyone has the support it takes to travel with two bikes, sets of wheels, etc. This is not MotoGP or World Cup DH. The support likely isn't there. Mtb racing is still soooo tiny.

mountain biker
    Gravesy's diary: Jared Graves' Enduro World Series Val d'Isere Race Journal - Features - Vital MTB

I have to admit I'm surprised he has no race support whatsoever... He seems to be doing all his own wrenching and logistics, for the Euro rounds at least. I wonder what next year will bring in terms of support... he was soooo close.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

Mtb Guide
    Personally changing bikes mid season would totally jack me up. It takes me at least 2 months to adapt to any new rig. If I push too hard during that time frame it is guaranteed that I am going to hit the ground (not that I am doing much better right now!). My bike is like my wife, I know her inside and out and exactly how she will react to almost any situation.

I am surprised the Ducci has still not been seen on an HDR. He is Ibis' top prospect in EWS yet they have him riding a bike that is not even available any longer. It would also make more sense to me for him to have two wheel/suspension setups so that he could ride 275 when the course called for it. This would really demonstrate the flexibility in the HDR setup. But what do I know!

On to JC! Guy is an animal. I don't remember hearing about one crash or mechanical by him in any round. Not even a flat tire! When you take into account that he won a large portion of the stages (40%?) for the entire series it is unbelievable. Compare that to Graves who won a similar stage count, but was down or had a mechanical in almost every stage. I think the women's racing is going to be the best show next year. Watch TMo and AC go at it is awesome. Both are absolute machines! Can't wait for Rd 7 and to get back on the track myself!!!
    Geez I hope your wife's not reading this haha thats classic SP got me in stitches! But Im totally the same.

Take up HBs Yodys and sly finks biking isn't like Americas cup or F1 to some degree where in competition you are constantly developing and plus have allot more variables removed, maybe sailing is very close as tides water states, wind direction strengths gusts etc is like mtb in that it can be hard to measure improvements, even the top WC DH guys often go backwards on mid season changes, the guys the usually come out top it comes down to what they did in the off season and preparation and also advancements but you don't come to battle with a new sword thats not proven!

Confidence is also a major factor for anyone I don't care how good you are, you can break that down too and confidence as Jared says coming from knowing your equipment and yourself and to use SPs pun inside and out, Sam Hill is another example of this.

WChamps 2009 Canberra who won Peaty on a full DH rig full coil shock and DH fork no bull crap gimmicks, yeah he got that beats as light as possible but stuck with his std setup is position and feel, while others were running AM rigs so,e using AM forks air shocks and all sorts of crap because it was a peadlly course yet real man and machine won this is why I don't buy into wheel size debate of which is better ride what you like its a bike, but the tool setup right and what you know will more often than not be what deals out the pain and wins.

I love racing def still always learning but Im a student of racing it boils my blood pity I wasn't better at it haha

JC dropped a chain or got a flat at the first round? which took him out of contention I think he had his worst result 6th or something back then, but been rock solid since wasn't that the new Mavic rim remember he flatted huh I think.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Gravesy's diary: Jared Graves' Enduro World Series Val d'Isere Race Journal - Features - Vital MTB

I have to admit I'm surprised he has no race support whatsoever... He seems to be doing all his own wrenching and logistics, for the Euro rounds at least. I wonder what next year will bring in terms of support... he was soooo close.
    He will still be getting factory support In terms of forks tires etc he has a mechanic as well, yep not F1 or NASCAR etc but take Jamie Nichol still cant understand how no one picks up on this guys achievements @ 35 plus he's got no factory support, he's paying his own way and to all the racers, take Manuel Ducci for example who is a fav rider for me, but he has a team and they didn't even go to the American rounds, Jn did on his own back and not only that why I raise it not just because he's a Kiwi but look at the results and he's killed so e of Europe's and Americas best with in mtb terms is massive support, he's also on a std SC Nomad 26" wheels 36 fork no of the current marketed Enduro must haves and he's embarrassing people on age alone, then take Rosara Joseph in the women's pretty much same deal.

My point is don't believe all the hype crap about you need support of factory F1 MX level and also need the latest equipment, Rosara is on the same bike as Jared SB 66 26" and killing it.

Just saying what I love about real racing is they're is no where to hide when the playing field in this case the trails are kept real.

If the courses become roadie races then this sort of thing just won't happen, so it will be very interesting to see if they stay true to the Enduro culture over time, hope so!

Jared definitely is right up they're with the best though no doubt and next year watch out!

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    ...tis but a flesh wound!

- -benja- -

mtbr member
    I agree with the run what you brung attitude. This series has proved the limits of 29'rs and also shown there is not much to be gained from 275. Maybe I am just way too Enduro crazy, but think it is the best racing/marketing tool for MTB right now. It is hard for average riders to identify with WC CC or DH racers and their equipment. Way too Specialized (get it!) for us normal people. Almost everyone has a use for the bikes we are seeing on Enduro courses now. I would find it kind of disappointing to see the Semi's pull into the pits, but I am also shocked that it is taking so long for them to show up. I would almost guarantee that either dollars will be pulled from DH/CC to Enduro or they will start pulling outside sponsors to increase the presence at these races.

Mtb Guide
    I agree with the run what you brung attitude. This series has proved the limits of 29'rs and also shown there is not much to be gained from 275. Maybe I am just way too Enduro crazy, but think it is the best racing/marketing tool for MTB right now. It is hard for average riders to identify with WC CC or DH racers and their equipment. Way too Specialized (get it!) for us normal people. Almost everyone has a use for the bikes we are seeing on Enduro courses now. I would find it kind of disappointing to see the Semi's pull into the pits, but I am also shocked that it is taking so long for them to show up. I would almost guarantee that either dollars will be pulled from DH/CC to Enduro or they will start pulling outside sponsors to increase the presence at these races.
    Nice pun, I reality the ratio of 26ers to Nytnkng else is not even close, check any poll and what you see on mtbr is not reality that said bike shops are pushing on in educated people whats normal they don't know better and initially its a good thing but the same problems are masked, Im talking about setups proper tuning and understanding regardless of wheel size, bigger wheels give the sense of stability and confidence but its not helping people understand basics around frame sizing, basic suspension settings and how different they are on each design tires compatibility etc etc.

Im like you I love and maybe am crazy on Enduro honestly this is what I was calling it before AM and black diamond crap years ago, so Fred Glo is like a hero for me haha.

Specialised yeah nice one, plenty of Sprinter vans though probably all they need, I hope we don't see factory teams rock up with a fleet of 9ers 27.5s and 26ers and choose on the day what to ride to me that would kill Enduro almost instantly, I like your ideas on points per stage and I would like to see what you bring rule in effect for every round, it maybe dis incentivising to force manufactures choose a bike for a whole season they have to develop etc still like MX or real Enduro on Dirt bikes wheels sizes are standard and enforced.

I agree too people should be able to ride what ever they own enjoy, Im not anti wheel size, just don't raise the death of 26" around me or be prepared for a full onslaught haha!

I posted a pic of a Ripley today, first I have seen in person man it was stunning, but so was the black HD, great set.

Benji love Monty Python, awesome mate..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast