Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mtb Guide

EWS Rd 5 Crankworx WHISTLER 10-11 AUG

EWS Rd 5

Whew 4 rounds down already onto 5, track details already released think this is a mistake but still something for us to get our teeth into!

Whos going?

Whos going to take the men's and women's this round.

Be hard to bet against Tracey Mosely, dosent even seem to get a mechanical!

Mens this one could open up this round I think!

Full details up on Vitalmtb

some vid of a couple stages on Enduro-mag

Stage Descriptions
    RACE STAGE 1
    Khyber Pass trail
    distance: 2.8 km | elevation: start 1820m | finish 1415m | change -405m
    RACE STAGE 2
    It's Business Time (Duncan's Trail)-> AM/PM
    distance: 1.45 km | elevation: start 780m | finish 620m | change -160m
    RACE STAGE 3
    Pura Vida -> Baby Snakes -> Danimal South -> THC
    distance: 1.64 km | elevation: start 965m | finish 728m | change -237m
    RACE STAGE 4
    Flank Trail -> Billy's Epic -> Bob's Rebob
    distance: 2.87 km | elevation: start 1118m | finish 675m | change -443m
    RACE STAGE 5
    Top of the World -> No Joke -> In Deep -> Little Alder -> Expressway -> Too Tight -> Upper Angry Pirate -> Lower Angry Pirate -> climb up Lower EZ Does it -> Del Boca Vista -> EZ Does It ≠> cross Mountain Access Road -> Ho Chi Min ≠> cross Mountain Access Road -> Longhorn -> Monkey Hands -> Finish Skiers Plaza
    distance: 10.63Km | elevation: start 2138m | finish 688m | change: -1450m

mtbr member
    Stage 5 is a MONSTER! 4500' of descending. If Graves could stay on his bike and keep it running he would have dominated the series so far. Clementz is winning by not pushing the ragged edge on every stage and keeping his bike in one piece. So who is going to win this one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I'm riding this one As a bit of a fanboy following most of the EWS postings, my day yesterday started with giving Clementz props at the base, then first gondi ride with Chausson, second gondi ride with Keene and Anneke discussing 29ers, she's cute BTW, then running into Vouilloz, unfortunately his partner had a serious crash so helped stabilize and load him, and then ended the day chatting up Graves.

Fun times and AWESOME weather!!! I've got to say riding the last couple days gettin into charging mode has been STRESSFUL! Day of the race I'm just planning to ride smooth and flowy.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Stage 5 is a MONSTER! 4500' of descending. If Graves could stay on his bike and keep it running he would have dominated the series so far. Clementz is winning by not pushing the ragged edge on every stage and keeping his bike in one piece. So who is going to win this one?
    Not so much staying on his bike, just no mechanicals, dam Shimano let him down last time.

Jerome was playing it smart, don't think he was slow he new he could play it safe, tactics buddy, fastest doesn't always win always been like that its racing you have to finish first to be first, Im still gutted about Fabian, too pedaly the last round for him, I feel his pain, I don't mind pedalling but just not into XC style courses of pedalling.

And would things be different for AC if she hasn't got injured at the first round or has Tracey just gained so much confidence now, shes like Jerome very smart tactically as well as skilled and fast, lethal combo!

I like your plan and maybe next year they will have points per stage this would add more pressure and be awesome I reckon!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I'm riding this one As a bit of a fanboy following most of the EWS postings, my day yesterday started with giving Clementz props at the base, then first gondi ride with Chausson, second gondi ride with Keene and Anneke discussing 29ers, she's cute BTW, then running into Vouilloz, unfortunately his partner had a serious crash so helped stabilize and load him, and then ended the day chatting up Graves.

Fun times and AWESOME weather!!! I've got to say riding the last couple days gettin into charging mode has been STRESSFUL! Day of the race I'm just planning to ride smooth and flowy.
    Awesome, dude, keep us updated aye be great, dam you one lucky man enjoy and have fun, I like your strategy btw good plan, good luck and good hunting, btw cute,is good, haha, will be totally jealous if you get a gondi ride with Hannah Barnes

Mtb Guide
    Step right up place your bets!

Got to be in to win

Ive gone for

1: Jared Graves in 1st
    2: Jerome Clem
    3: Fabian, my heart wants a Fab win.

Womens!

1st TraceyM just cant see anyone beating her right now, shes got the hole Enduro concept dialled, think the pressure on AC and injury might still be a bit much yet.
    2nd Still AC compared to the rest is the only one in Tracey's league!
    3rd AB is getting steadily better each round a contender for overall next year I reckon, shes learning fast.

Heart says Hannah Barnes fav female rider by far and kiwi Rosara Joseph will def be in the top 5 I reckon!

Go Kiwi"s

Man love to win that Pike! Haha..

mtbr member
    Anneke is super cute. Met her at a local enduro here in SD. I agree that Jerome is doing a great job managing the races. Much better than the rest of the field. This race is going to be really interesting since the riders will have NO access to support for the ENTIRE race. Yep, they have to be completely self supported!

I am going to say

Clementz
    Graves
    Craig

AC
    MO
    Anneke

Looks like some great courses. Robnow, I am seriously jealous. Have a great time and stay safe out there. Keep us updated with ride reports.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Park trails just getting hammered, so much dust and potholes for Stage 5. And hot dry weather continues for the next few days. 30 Celsius on Sunday.

Riding stages 1-4 tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Oh, and do pro call outs work in biking like they do skiing? I yelled out to Curtis Keene today how much faster I am than him

mtbr member
    Nicely done!!

Mtb Guide
    Did he shout back

Nice picks SP!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The OR and CO enduro gnar core dirt roadies are going to **** their pants when riding the Whistler course. have fun rob
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Nico is out. Broke his shoulder which sounds familiar. Lopes dropped out by choice. Curtis Keene switched to an Enduro 26. Sounds like the courses are GNARLY!

mtbr member
    BTW I have 8 fresh Ti screws in my shoulder. It was in 5 pieces not 4. If you are going to do it do it right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    SP, see if you can use those Ti screws on your bike once you've healed up.......just a thought.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Nico is out. Broke his shoulder which sounds familiar. Lopes dropped out by choice. Curtis Keene switched to an Enduro 26. Sounds like the courses are GNARLY!
    whoa, dam 27.5" bikes new they were over rated and dangerous haha

WTH Lopesy!

Keene aye, I thought the 26" was dead, yeah right when it gets rough real men and bikes come out to play haha!

Gherig Twins @ Top of the World!

Here's for for you AB fans!

mtbr member
    I will hopefully have some info on Lopes this afternoon. Not sure why he would drop except for illness. I was shocked to see Keene on a 26 after racing a 29 for every other round. Guess he finally wanted to get competitive! I am really curious to see if he improves his placing tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Talked with Keene earlier in the week about 29. He's been riding it up until a couple days ago, at least what I've seen. The main issue he said is finding tires burly enough in 29 for this course, TOW has a lot of big rocks, especially from Spec. Next season they will have the GRID but none yet. He also said that once you're getting into tires that burly, in 29 they just get too heavy and slow.

Stages 1-3 are really tight, twisty, and rooty, don't mind them. 3 got shortened though and is really short now. Did not like stage 4 at all, although locals love it, SO blown out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Talked with Keene earlier in the week about 29. He's been riding it up until a couple days ago, at least what I've seen. The main issue he said is finding tires burly enough in 29 for this course, TOW has a lot of big rocks, especially from Spec. Next season they will have the GRID but none yet. He also said that once you're getting into tires that burly, in 29 they just get too heavy and slow.
    Interesting, the weight issue was something I always suspected. To get a 29" setup with th stuff I like would get very lardy indeed

mtbr member
    Is Stage 4 just deep silt? If so then just like here! Anyone want to bet that Keene posts his highest placing yet?

Mtb Guide

BREAKiNG NEWS

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

It's really not that clear, preriding anyway. We weren't told until this morning that wasn't allowed and they would have been told yesterday morning. Although I guess this would of happened yesterday and they weren't allowed to ride before that...so throw the book at him!!!

mtbr member
    Schley posted a pic of Barel cutting the course as well. Adam Craig may have been shuttling too.

Mtb Guide
    Sounds a bit wek sauce on not being able to find burly enough tires, they have the Butcher in 29er.

Ive owned Butchers both in DH casing and in the top 2.3 aramid casing whatever its called, these should be burly enough about similar to a Minion or Highroller, maybe weight would be on par, apart from Colorado, Graves rode 2.35 Minions at every other round.

Maybe they are lighter in 29er tire casing, still to me he's going to say that and rightly so, he's being loyal to his employer, I wonder though without trying to feed the wheel wars what bikes riders would really ride if they had a choice.

I know CK is one of the few who can choose and really genuinely seems to like the 29er, but I also wonder if that is a case of the terrain or more likely the trails that are being built to road bike level these days, this series has given me hope for proper trails becoming popular again!

Also for next season I would like to see not only points for each stage!

But a one bike rule, you can still choose which bike that is but not per round! We don't see different sizes in Formula 1 or in Motocross its std except you can in Moto use different tires brands, which I do agree with.Im not anti competitive to manafactures, its first year so its good that they have had leeway to get a good base to work with.

So if you decide to use 29er say then thats your rig for the year same with 26" etc.

I think Keene is riding a 26" is bike purely because the trails up they're are suited to, it looks like its going to be brutal on riders and bikes.
    Thats my take. Will be intersting to see if Tracey rides the Slash, she rode it @ Val d Allos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast