Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mtb Guide

EWS Rd 5 Crankworx WHISTLER 10-11 AUG

EWS Rd 5

Whew 4 rounds down already onto 5, track details already released think this is a mistake but still something for us to get our teeth into!

Whos going?

Whos going to take the men's and women's this round.

Be hard to bet against Tracey Mosely, dosent even seem to get a mechanical!

Mens this one could open up this round I think!

Full details up on Vitalmtb

some vid of a couple stages on Enduro-mag

Stage Descriptions
    RACE STAGE 1
    Khyber Pass trail
    distance: 2.8 km | elevation: start 1820m | finish 1415m | change -405m
    RACE STAGE 2
    It's Business Time (Duncan's Trail)-> AM/PM
    distance: 1.45 km | elevation: start 780m | finish 620m | change -160m
    RACE STAGE 3
    Pura Vida -> Baby Snakes -> Danimal South -> THC
    distance: 1.64 km | elevation: start 965m | finish 728m | change -237m
    RACE STAGE 4
    Flank Trail -> Billy's Epic -> Bob's Rebob
    distance: 2.87 km | elevation: start 1118m | finish 675m | change -443m
    RACE STAGE 5
    Top of the World -> No Joke -> In Deep -> Little Alder -> Expressway -> Too Tight -> Upper Angry Pirate -> Lower Angry Pirate -> climb up Lower EZ Does it -> Del Boca Vista -> EZ Does It ≠> cross Mountain Access Road -> Ho Chi Min ≠> cross Mountain Access Road -> Longhorn -> Monkey Hands -> Finish Skiers Plaza
    distance: 10.63Km | elevation: start 2138m | finish 688m | change: -1450m

mtbr member
    Stage 5 is a MONSTER! 4500' of descending. If Graves could stay on his bike and keep it running he would have dominated the series so far. Clementz is winning by not pushing the ragged edge on every stage and keeping his bike in one piece. So who is going to win this one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I'm riding this one As a bit of a fanboy following most of the EWS postings, my day yesterday started with giving Clementz props at the base, then first gondi ride with Chausson, second gondi ride with Keene and Anneke discussing 29ers, she's cute BTW, then running into Vouilloz, unfortunately his partner had a serious crash so helped stabilize and load him, and then ended the day chatting up Graves.

Fun times and AWESOME weather!!! I've got to say riding the last couple days gettin into charging mode has been STRESSFUL! Day of the race I'm just planning to ride smooth and flowy.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Stage 5 is a MONSTER! 4500' of descending. If Graves could stay on his bike and keep it running he would have dominated the series so far. Clementz is winning by not pushing the ragged edge on every stage and keeping his bike in one piece. So who is going to win this one?
    Not so much staying on his bike, just no mechanicals, dam Shimano let him down last time.

Jerome was playing it smart, don't think he was slow he new he could play it safe, tactics buddy, fastest doesn't always win always been like that its racing you have to finish first to be first, Im still gutted about Fabian, too pedaly the last round for him, I feel his pain, I don't mind pedalling but just not into XC style courses of pedalling.

And would things be different for AC if she hasn't got injured at the first round or has Tracey just gained so much confidence now, shes like Jerome very smart tactically as well as skilled and fast, lethal combo!

I like your plan and maybe next year they will have points per stage this would add more pressure and be awesome I reckon!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I'm riding this one As a bit of a fanboy following most of the EWS postings, my day yesterday started with giving Clementz props at the base, then first gondi ride with Chausson, second gondi ride with Keene and Anneke discussing 29ers, she's cute BTW, then running into Vouilloz, unfortunately his partner had a serious crash so helped stabilize and load him, and then ended the day chatting up Graves.

Fun times and AWESOME weather!!! I've got to say riding the last couple days gettin into charging mode has been STRESSFUL! Day of the race I'm just planning to ride smooth and flowy.
    Awesome, dude, keep us updated aye be great, dam you one lucky man enjoy and have fun, I like your strategy btw good plan, good luck and good hunting, btw cute,is good, haha, will be totally jealous if you get a gondi ride with Hannah Barnes

Mtb Guide
    Step right up place your bets!

Got to be in to win

Ive gone for

1: Jared Graves in 1st
    2: Jerome Clem
    3: Fabian, my heart wants a Fab win.

Womens!

1st TraceyM just cant see anyone beating her right now, shes got the hole Enduro concept dialled, think the pressure on AC and injury might still be a bit much yet.
    2nd Still AC compared to the rest is the only one in Tracey's league!
    3rd AB is getting steadily better each round a contender for overall next year I reckon, shes learning fast.

Heart says Hannah Barnes fav female rider by far and kiwi Rosara Joseph will def be in the top 5 I reckon!

Go Kiwi"s

Man love to win that Pike! Haha..

mtbr member
    Anneke is super cute. Met her at a local enduro here in SD. I agree that Jerome is doing a great job managing the races. Much better than the rest of the field. This race is going to be really interesting since the riders will have NO access to support for the ENTIRE race. Yep, they have to be completely self supported!

I am going to say

Clementz
    Graves
    Craig

AC
    MO
    Anneke

Looks like some great courses. Robnow, I am seriously jealous. Have a great time and stay safe out there. Keep us updated with ride reports.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Park trails just getting hammered, so much dust and potholes for Stage 5. And hot dry weather continues for the next few days. 30 Celsius on Sunday.

Riding stages 1-4 tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Oh, and do pro call outs work in biking like they do skiing? I yelled out to Curtis Keene today how much faster I am than him

mtbr member
    Nicely done!!

Mtb Guide
    Did he shout back

Nice picks SP!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The OR and CO enduro gnar core dirt roadies are going to **** their pants when riding the Whistler course. have fun rob
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Nico is out. Broke his shoulder which sounds familiar. Lopes dropped out by choice. Curtis Keene switched to an Enduro 26. Sounds like the courses are GNARLY!

mtbr member
    BTW I have 8 fresh Ti screws in my shoulder. It was in 5 pieces not 4. If you are going to do it do it right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    SP, see if you can use those Ti screws on your bike once you've healed up.......just a thought.

Mtb Guide
    Nico is out. Broke his shoulder which sounds familiar. Lopes dropped out by choice. Curtis Keene switched to an Enduro 26. Sounds like the courses are GNARLY!
    whoa, dam 27.5" bikes new they were over rated and dangerous haha

WTH Lopesy!

Keene aye, I thought the 26" was dead, yeah right when it gets rough real men and bikes come out to play haha!

Gherig Twins @ Top of the World!

Here's for for you AB fans!

mtbr member
    I will hopefully have some info on Lopes this afternoon. Not sure why he would drop except for illness. I was shocked to see Keene on a 26 after racing a 29 for every other round. Guess he finally wanted to get competitive! I am really curious to see if he improves his placing tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Talked with Keene earlier in the week about 29. He's been riding it up until a couple days ago, at least what I've seen. The main issue he said is finding tires burly enough in 29 for this course, TOW has a lot of big rocks, especially from Spec. Next season they will have the GRID but none yet. He also said that once you're getting into tires that burly, in 29 they just get too heavy and slow.

Stages 1-3 are really tight, twisty, and rooty, don't mind them. 3 got shortened though and is really short now. Did not like stage 4 at all, although locals love it, SO blown out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Talked with Keene earlier in the week about 29. He's been riding it up until a couple days ago, at least what I've seen. The main issue he said is finding tires burly enough in 29 for this course, TOW has a lot of big rocks, especially from Spec. Next season they will have the GRID but none yet. He also said that once you're getting into tires that burly, in 29 they just get too heavy and slow.
    Interesting, the weight issue was something I always suspected. To get a 29" setup with th stuff I like would get very lardy indeed

mtbr member
    Is Stage 4 just deep silt? If so then just like here! Anyone want to bet that Keene posts his highest placing yet?

Mtb Guide

BREAKiNG NEWS

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

It's really not that clear, preriding anyway. We weren't told until this morning that wasn't allowed and they would have been told yesterday morning. Although I guess this would of happened yesterday and they weren't allowed to ride before that...so throw the book at him!!!

mtbr member
    Schley posted a pic of Barel cutting the course as well. Adam Craig may have been shuttling too.

Mtb Guide
    Sounds a bit weàk sauce on not being able to find burly enough tires, they have the Butcher in 29er.

Ive owned Butchers both in DH casing and in the top 2.3 aramid casing whatever its called, these should be burly enough about similar to a Minion or Highroller, maybe weight would be on par, apart from Colorado, Graves rode 2.35 Minions at every other round.

Maybe they are lighter in 29er tire casing, still to me he's going to say that and rightly so, he's being loyal to his employer, I wonder though without trying to feed the wheel wars what bikes riders would really ride if they had a choice.

I know CK is one of the few who can choose and really genuinely seems to like the 29er, but I also wonder if that is a case of the terrain or more likely the trails that are being built to road bike level these days, this series has given me hope for proper trails becoming popular again!

Also for next season I would like to see not only points for each stage!

But a one bike rule, you can still choose which bike that is but not per round! We don't see different sizes in Formula 1 or in Motocross its std except you can in Moto use different tires brands, which I do agree with.Im not anti competitive to manafactures, its first year so its good that they have had leeway to get a good base to work with.

So if you decide to use 29er say then thats your rig for the year same with 26" etc.

I think Keene is riding a 26" is bike purely because the trails up they're are suited to, it looks like its going to be brutal on riders and bikes.
    Thats my take. Will be intersting to see if Tracey rides the Slash, she rode it @ Val d Allos.

Mtb Guide
    Breaking news Barel was just caught shuttling practice runs and assessed a 5 minute penalty tomorrow. Weir also posted a pic of Barel cutting the course as well. Adam Craig may have been shuttling as well.
    Really disappointing, like robnow said, hard to understand if this was a miscommunication or just cheating, I would have thought that before the EWS started got kicked off, all the teams and riders would have been given the World Series round information and formats, and the team managers at each round would brief the riders on this at each round get any changes updates etc, talk strategies within the rules, Fabian should know better if this is the case as should the other pros!

Im sure this info was out when they released the curse info earlier in the week.

mtbr member
    Lopes was on a Ripley which seems he should have known better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by my02 View Post
    SP, see if you can use those Ti screws on your bike once you've healed up.......just a thought.
    If they come out I am keeping them!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

The Butcher in 29 only comes in Control which is not strong enough. I was running them until Tuesday, switched to Maxxis EXO. Those guys are running SO fast, it's unreal.

Mtb Guide
    The Butcher in 29 only comes in Control which is not strong enough. I was running them until Tuesday, switched to Maxxis EXO. Those guys are running SO fast, it's unreal.
    Good info cheers, So hey Rob give us run down on your setup for this round.

Will EXOs be strong enough, no 2 ply thoughts, you gone to bigger suspension, sounds like to me, Id be going atleast 160 in the rear maybe 170 upfront and take my chances in the transfer stages, 25mims plus and for real world riders like us probably 40mins after 4 hard stages, Id be just wanting to make it down each run smoothly and survive, ESP in light of what happened to Nico!

Some sweet tactical I for from Jerome and Gravey

Jerome Graves Interview with Jonsey!

Mtb Guide
    Official EWS Press Release!

Hello Media Friends,

Welcome to day 2 of Crankworx Whistler. Please note the following athlete updates regarding tomorrow’s SRAM Canadian Open Enduro, presented by Specialized: Round 5 of the Enduro World Series:

Nico Voullioz, currently ranked 2nd on the Enduro World Series, has sustained a scaphoid injury in practice that will keep him off of his bike for tomorrow’s race. Everyone at Crankworx and the Enduro World Series wishes Nico a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back in action as soon as possible.

Following an incident during yesterday’s official training, Fabien Barel has been assigned a 5 minute time penalty for a violation of the Outside Assistance Rules.

"Based on all of the evidence available and following both Fabien and his team’s cooperation, the Chief Of Course has assigned Fabien a 5 minute penalty that will be attached to his overall time in tomorrow’s event,” says Crankworx General Manager and EWS Board Member Darren Kinnaird. “The EWS and Crankworx have worked tirelessly to ensure that we establish an ethos of fairness, mutual respect and equality between all competitors. Because of this, it is critical that we are diligent about enforcing our rules as effectively as we can. We would like to remind all athletes and teams to attend rider briefings and obey Crankworx Outside Assistance Regulations."

For those seeking further information, please visit crankworx.com or enduroworldseries.com

**Note for today and tomorrow: Media with accreditation and a Top Of the World ticket will be given access to the Peak chair to access the event.

Mtb Guide
    Back to some fun times, always rely on Cedric to entertain braaap

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/72103108" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Not sure if anyone else saw this but F yeah!

LIVE WEBCAST
    Stage 5 of the SRAM Canadian Open Enduro
    presented by Specialized will be live webcast.
    Tune in here to catch all the action from
    EWS Round 5 at Crankworx Whistler.
    Sunday August 11 | 4:30-7:00pm PDT

It is being shown on the EWS website!

Lightly salted
    Im not going to miss this!
    Thanks for posting.

Not sure if anyone else saw this but F yeah!

LIVE WEBCAST
    Stage 5 of the SRAM Canadian Open Enduro
    presented by Specialized will be live webcast.
    Tune in here to catch all the action from
    EWS Round 5 at Crankworx Whistler.
    Sunday August 11 | 4:30-7:00pm PDT

It is being shown on the EWS website!

Mtb Guide
    Me either Fuenstock, hopefully NLT clashing with MSA WC DH on RedBullTv haha.

Good stuff SP!

More clarity on Fabians indiscretion unfortunately not his first though got to say bit surprised and bit shaken up always had the upmost respect for him, not saying I don't now just disappointed and concerned how rife this is as its not good for a new series and organisers need to take this more seriously, I think anyone caught outside of the rules handbook and per event should get an automatic DQ no matter who they are if proven guilty, not a fan of dobbers either! Both need to be stamped out ASAP.
    Via Vitalmtb
    Enduro World Series Update: Unauthorized Shuttling?
    UPDATE 8-10-13, 11:45pm PST
    Race Director, Chris Ball sent this message below:
    Following a number of requests for information surrounding the five minute penalty issued to Fabien Barel in Crankworx Whistler we would like to clarify the situation. To avoid riders gaining an unfair advantage and to maintain the spirit of the race on the long liaison stages in the Whistler valley, Crankworx created a rule that outlined no outside assistance (including using a vehicle to assist) would be allowed during the event. This rule was further explained and clarified in a mandatory athlete's breakfast scheduled on Friday morning and hosted by the Crankworx Whistler organisers. Rider's who chose not to attend this briefing missed crucial information regarding course changes, details of shuttling and race specific information. We are not responsible for educating riders who choose to miss planned briefings. Following the submission of evidence by a number of sources and a discussion with Fabien where he cooperated fully, admitted to a lack of knowledge of the rule due to team communications and an admission of his use of a vehicle, the organisation chose to apply a five minute penalty to his race time, removing any advantage that may have been gained from his use of the vehicle. We are all now looking forward to an incredible race here tomorrow.
    Regards, Chris Ball, Director, Enduro World Series

UPDATE 8-10-13, 9pm
    Check out Adam Craig's response to Lopes

UPDATE: We have received the following information from the race organizers:
    Following an incident during yesterday’s official training, Fabien Barel has been assigned a 5 minute time penalty for a violation of the Outside Assistance Rules.“Based on all of the evidence available and following both Fabien and his team’s cooperation, the Chief Of Course has assigned Fabien a 5 minute penalty that will be attached to his overall time in tomorrow’s event,” says Crankworx General Manager and EWS Board Member Darren Kinnaird. “The EWS and Crankworx have worked tirelessly to ensure that we establish an ethos of fairness, mutual respect and equality between all competitors. Because of this, it is critical that we are diligent about enforcing our rules as effectively as we can. We would like to remind all athletes and teams to attend rider briefings and obey Crankworx Outside Assistance Regulations.”
    As of now, no further information is available regarding other riders mentioned on Brian Lopes Twitter feed:

A quick check of the rulebook reveals a categorical statement about shuttling not being allowed (and leading to DQ if ignored):

Now, it's not entirely clear whether that rule applies to the whole event or just the race (not the first time we've seen ambiguity in how rulebooks are written up). In the absence of a clear indication to the contrary, it would have to seem like this rule applies to the whole event. Additionally, it appears that the riders were explicitly told not to shuttle at the rider briefings, hence the incomprehension as to why any offenders were not DQed at this point.
    We'll keep you updated as the story develops further.
    Riders are underway, hopefully get some good clean racing, go team!

Mtb Guide
    Wow not related but WC DH @ Mt St Anne went off. Great viewing!

Heres some tweet action, cant quite understand how Fab is 3rd in GC after a 5min penalty but whatever lol!

Tweets

1h
    Enduro World Series @World_Enduro
    Barel takes the SP3 win but Clementz only +5sec keeping him in current GC lead ahead of Barel. Local Jesse Melamed takes 3rd! #cwxenduro
    ExpandReplyRetweetFavorite
    1h
    News from the other side of Canada. Congratulations to @stevesmithDH for his win in Mont St Anne!
    1h
    As top men drop into SP3 Clementz has a 10sec overall lead on graves with Barel +16. Wildhaber 4th +19sec. It's all to play for. #cwxenduro
    2h
    Bike magazine @bikemag
    "I don't feel like I'm racing well, yet" - Tracey Moseley after stage 3 @Crankworx #CWXEnduro
    Retweeted by Enduro World Series
    2h
    It's Belgium Vs Canada in the juniors. Maes takes takes stage 3. Total stage domination so far today. Canadians fill places 2-5.
    2h
    Women now finishing Sp3 and Ravanel has beaten Anne Caro by 0.49sec! T-mo 3rd +8.1sec. Is Moseley saving for a strong finish?
    2h
    Clementz takes 2 stages from 2. Graves keeping close +1.3sec behind on SP2, Barel +6.2sec. That keeps the top 3 men's GC in that order!
    3h
    Clementz takes stage 1 in the men's. Graves +9, Barel +10, wildhaber 4th +13. It's close at the top. Live results on Crankworx :: Whistler - Les 2 Alpes
    3h
    Anne caro has just taken SP2 as well! Ravanel +17, Joseph +23 and T-Mo 4th +27. 2 stages down 3 to go. The race is on. #cwxenduro
    3h
    Motivational talk courtesy of Canadian legend Brett Tippie at the end of stage 2. One thing is for sure - the... http://fb.me/HmGklXNF

mtbr member
    Waiting for Stage 5 to start on the big screen!

Mtb Guide
    Waiting for Stage 5 to start on the big screen!

Yeah boi, prime location enjoy! Got me a coffee and doing it couch style, go Jerome, no wait go Gravesy!

mtbr member
    Barel's penalty will not get assessed until after Stage 5. Still waiting for the video feed to start!!

Mtb Guide
    Barel's penalty will not get assessed until after Stage 5. Still waiting for the video feed to start!!
    Yeah the awesomely hawt Jackie confirmed that lol, all FAB here

Mtb Guide
    ACC takes the win braaap great to see her back to her best after the broken ribs injury @ EWS rd 1..

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Go Gravesy!!

Great result

Mtb Guide

GRAVESY takes it!

Yeah boi, Jared Graves does the impossible, braaaaaaaaaap

yeahaaaaaa!

Nice little come back at the end of his interview with jackie too, take that you commentators waffling on about 9er this 27.5 that, top 3 smoked all pretenders again.

American dream should stayed on 26" Enduro might have finished.

Jerome 2nd.

Kiwi, Jamie Nicol SC Nomad 3rd fricken awesome

So stoked !!!

Hope Robnow did well too btw.
    When ya recovered few days give us the run down dude!
    Must have been so awesome being riding theyre.

screamer
    That coverage was about as entertaining as watching paint dry. Nice to have attention for enduro, but still...
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    That coverage was about as entertaining as watching paint dry. Nice to have attention for enduro, but still...
    Bang on the money they're Budgie, if it wasnt for Jackie Id have switched off pretty much, as it was I did work in between and missed ACC crossing the line dam it, but yeah I would have liked to have seen more camera"s on the stage and less waffling buy a bunch or retards pretending they know bikes! I thought Jackies questions were quite good though

Why they didn't have Ritchie Schlyer and Tippie doing the commentary I will never understand, that would almost be as good as Warner and CG on WC DH commentary, instead we get channel muppets!

Josh Carlson was ok but he was a bit OTT on the sales pitch for Giant, Sram, Schwalbe and 27.5" it was almost like a cricket commentary where they just talk **** during overs! Funny you mention paint I did do some painting on the garage today haha.

Still JG finally won one of these these things!

Interesting to note the only bikes to break the 50min barrier were 26"
    Nuff said!

Poor Cedric flatting as well, I thought he was going to send the gap with that flat, good call to pull out doubt even he could have made it, she was toast!

ps Im not anti wheel size just anti 26" talk of it being dead and buried, as the commentators said results don't lie, Karmas a *****..

Mtb Guide

Official Results

Full results on Pinkbike

Kiwi girl Rosara Joseph continually gets great results basically a privateer, not sure how much help or if any she gets from Yeti factory or if its all NZ importer based but she just continually achieves great results while the bigger names get all the attention, being a Kiwi she probably prefers that, but someone should seriously sponsor this girl.
    What the hell 2 Kiwis in top 10, for once I"ll claim an Aussie as a Kiwi usually they do that to us haha.

Will Adam Craig's result stand I thought he got caught cheating?

mtbr member
    Fab accused him, but it was a false accusation which Fab later denied. I picked three of the top 4 for both the women's and the mens!

Mtb Guide
    Fab accused him, but it was a false accusation which Fab later denied. I picked three of the top 4 for both the women's and the mens!
    Fair enough, Lopes must have just been piss taking ACraig about Fab, not sure why Fab would be doing this makes no sense to me really but maybe Im just a bit naive, not so about cycling esspecially road, but maybe just Enduro, seems like some team managers may or may not have understood or relayed information, that said I think penalties should be enforced to prevent this becoming rife or getting a start, still a huge Fab fan, but I think he should have been DQ"d more as a notice to all riders that they're are no exceptions to the rules and its riders responsibility to be aware of changes and attend or have a representative attend all rider briefings, no excuses this is a World Championships, sponsors everybody have allot to gain and lose, the sport has the most to lose, it can't happen period imo.

Was pretty happy with my picks as well, ACC smoked it, no one would have got Jamie Nicol so stoked for him,p though, good work on picks SP

Mtb Guide
    Wasn't going to post this but I think its important, top riders are not role models but are examples of the sport and represent the sport at all levels so I think its important this gets stamped out ASAP at organiser level, no exceptions.

Every rider that turns up pro or non pro deserves to race at a fair level playing field, thats what Enduro is about, its not XC its not TDF or DH, its Enduro lets not screw this up like the rest.

I think the below is pretty bang on or its how I feel anyway.

CHEATING AT THE ENDURO WORLD SERIES?

Unfortunately I wasn’t surprised when I woke this morning to see that VitalMTB had posted news containing allegations of cheating in the Whistler round of the Enduro World Series. Heck, I have had several off-the-record conversations with Enduro World Series competitors and it’s apparently rife.

What does surprise me though is the seemingly lack of will from the Enduro World Series, the media that closely follows the racing, and the athletes who compete, to either say or do anything appropriate about it.

Of course I cannot confirm any allegations, and I am not pointing a finger at any single rider, but the sheer potential of cheating is so disappointing and worthy of public debate.

The series thus far has been riddled with underground murmurs and rumours about cheating since the first event in Italy. Hiding food (to allow for a lighter backpack), bike swapping, riding liaison stages without helmets, cutting the courses, illegal practise, outside assistance… the allegations go on. It was only a few weeks ago I watched Cedric Gracia, livid at the time, expressing his anger at all the cheating at Enduro racing. My hat goes off to him – at least he speaks out.

Of course there will always be the argument of “bending the rules” but even that can be enforced by establishing the right culture of good sportsmanship. Culture, and the power of its combined peer pressure, sometimes has more power than any policing or enforcement can ever have.

To me it all represents a potential failure for the inaugural season of what is supposed to be the future of our sport. Enduro is a battle of rider vs terrain and gets back to the roots of our sport, with a sense of fun thrown in. I love the concept of Enduro racing and the thought of people cheating is beyond belief.

A cheat is a cheat. We all throw our hands in the air in disgust and anger when someone gets busted for drugs. Why not apply the same enthusiasm to punish and shame the “non-drug” cheats. After all, a cheat is a cheat not matter what. The seconds gained from a pre-race shot of EPO is no different from the seconds and minutes gained from cutting the course.

I personally feel that if the organisers don’t get serious about both policing and enforcing the rules, and the true spirit of the sport, then we, the fans, will lose interest very quickly and the end of Enduro will happen well before we had had enough time to enjoy it.

My challenge to the organisers of the Enduro World Series, the media, and the athletes is to make a bigger effort to catch the cheats, test the allegations and their actions using the appropriate mechanisms, and if found guilty, apply the same penalties as you would a drug cheat. Stop any potential for cheating to rot the core of the sport.

A cheat is a cheat and if you let to happen at the top echelons of the sport what hope is there for Enduro racing at the grass roots level?

I love Enduro, at least when I know it’s honest.

Just let go. Let go!
    Stage 5 is a MONSTER! 4500' of descending. ...
    Megavalanche is almost 10,000' descending...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast