Mtb Guide

Enduro World Series Round 2 Val d'Allos - France 29-30 June

Enduro World Series Round 2 in Val d’Allos – France 29th to 30th June
    Next week!!! Braaap.

Whos your picks!
    Mens
    Womens

Who's stoked,

this is being run on the original and imo the proper Enduro format.

So it will be interesting to see how this plays out, will the same riders dominate, will improvisation leading riders who can adapt while riding down the trail the faster change the results, Dan Atherton made it clear his DH background makes him prefer knowing and practicing the hell out of the course is his preferred choice!

Lets bring it on, hopefully Anne Carro is back on her bike for this,though not seeing any mention of her as yet.

Will Ibis team riders be racing the HDR?

and if so

27.5"
    or
    26"

Heres a peak of Fabians rig he's been doing more testing on in between the last and this round.

Going to be EPIC

mtbr member
    I think Jerome will take this one since it is back to the original blind format. Should be an awesome race and I can't wait to see it. Now if we could just get some good reporting on the Angel Fire BME race here in the US I would be stoked!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I think Jerome will take this one since it is back to the original blind format. Should be an awesome race and I can't wait to see it. Now if we could just get some good reporting on the Angel Fire BME race here in the US I would be stoked!

Good call, he would have to be a favourite for sure, still think Fab Fabian will surprise, they all ride here too those French dudes lol.

You guys are normally pretty onto it with reporting, thought Angel Fire would be pretty big, did you ride that one!

mtbr member
    Nope, 9 hours from my house and it is quarter end for me so very busy at work. Bummed I missed it though. I did get into both the Downieville Classic and BME Whole Enchilada race. Stoked since each of those sold out in less than 2 minutes.

Mtb Guide
    Nope, 9 hours from my house and it is quarter end for me so very busy at work. Bummed I missed it though. I did get into both the Downieville Classic and BME Whole Enchilada race. Stoked since each of those sold out in less than 2 minutes.
    oh yeah 9hrs a bit of a hike, Donnieville would love to do that, awesome!
    Make sure you do a thread on that one, pics vids, be awesome!

OriginalDonk
    I was also going to throw my speculation behind Clementz. Seems like he's got his equipment dialed and may be the most adaptable of the crowd. I'll go out on a limb and call for 16 year old Martin Maes to lay down some serious BRAAAAAP and find himself on one of the top three steps of the podium. Dan Atherton would be another more obvious selection but I'm counting on the kid to best his teammate.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    I was also going to throw my speculation behind Clementz. Seems like he's got his equipment dialed and may be the most adaptable of the crowd. I'll go out on a limb and call for 16 year old Martin Maes to lay down some serious BRAAAAAP and find himself on one of the top three steps of the podium. Dan Atherton would be another more obvious selection but I'm counting on the kid to best his teammate.
    Definitely, JC is going to be hard to beat, big gap between rounds 1&2 though, so suspect everyone has worked out theyre weaknesses, just the riding blind which is awesome will bite many I suspect.

Dont know enough about young MM, hes got talent, no doubt a future champ, not sure this formatt will suit him if hes feeding off Dan Atherton!

Hes definitely a dark horse, he did smash Dan and on an older model, 26" and on flat pedals, which is pretty impressive by anyones stds, let alone a 16yo.

I think you may be right he might still beat Dan, hope so haha.
    Flat pedal riders I have huge respect for, esspecialy since all the pressure to conform to market pressure, I ride both so in neither camp.

Mtb Guide
    Now if we could just get some good reporting on the Angel Fire BME race here in the US I would be stoked!
    Have you seen this vid, no reporting, looked like fun!

Video: Day 2 at BME #1, Angel Fire/Taos; Schnell and Emmett Take the Win - BigMtnEnduro - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Will Ibis team riders be racing the HDR?

and if so 27.5" or 26"
    I certainly hope to see the HDR shine. I think it was unfortunate that Brian Lopes couldn't race the HD in Punta Ala. He took the Ripley for marketing reason only, he clearly admitted that - and didn't look too happy about that decision imho (although finishing as the fastest 29er still is amazing). So I expect him to race the HDR on 650B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What no love for Jared Graves from this group ? Thinking Punta Ala was a good intro to this game/format for him and he's going to be really fast and prepared for this one.

Think alot of the West Coast guys - BL, John Hauer, Curtis Keene brought 29ers because they thought the pedally format (climbs) would let them be fresher and stronger and it hurt them. Think he choose the Ripley over the custom painted HD at the last min. I expect BL to be on that new blue HDR Bike Co just built up for him.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Is his HDR 26 or 275? Based on the normal European courses I think that anything less than 150 travel will be a mistake. Hopefully BL, CK etc have learned their lessons and will now travel with two bikes or a 275/130 and 26/160 setup instead of committing to just the smaller travel bikes. Not sure why CK brought a Stumpy when he had the option to ride the new Enduro 29. Even more surprised that the Big S marketing machine let him ride the older bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    HDR275 - Sweep and Vector Air HLR. Be interesting to see what he actually rides though (we all know he has no shortage of bikes - bastard . Agree 100% on both your travel and two bike comments. Think CK brought the Stumpy for the same reason BL brought the Ripley, everyone underestimated how serious the track was going to be. Think the Syndicate boys were surprised also. Not sure what recon they all looked at but comment, after comment was on needing bigger rubber, how rough the course was and how fast the riders who know what to expect were. Really interesting to see how everyone adapted. Graves spending 5 weeks in Morzine tells me some teams are taking this a lot more serious now.

Is his HDR 26 or 275? Based on the normal European courses I think that anything less than 150 travel will be a mistake. Hopefully BL, CK etc have learned their lessons and will now travel with two bikes or a 275/130 and 26/160 setup instead of committing to just the smaller travel bikes. Not sure why CK brought a Stumpy when he had the option to ride the new Enduro 29. Even more surprised that the Big S marketing machine let him ride the older bike.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Mtb Guide
    Selinak, def love for Gravy Train, picking top 5, this round will be the real test for sorting out the men from the boys I suspect, for following the true formatt of Enduro, so its going to come down experience and the French, Italians have allot of true Enduro experience.

If it was me. Its another reason I wouldnt be riding or testing something new, riding essentially each stage blind on that terrain, I would want a bit more suspension true 160mm and so I can manoeuvre very quickly 26" wheels.

Teams riders need to think on strategy thats what makes Enduro so cool, its not just a blast down a trail everyone has raped a million times, its got allot of unknowns.

Im a big Manuel Ducci fan so hope he does well, his bike choice should indicate allot, Im still picking he will be on a std HD, Vengeance HLR/Vector for here, but will be interesting, I suspect he was riding some proto XFusion at Punta Ala.

I don't know if Brian is even going to this one, pity if he is not, he clearly stated he's not doing all the rounds and has no interest so he says in being Enduro World champion, he has enough rainbows already

I suspect many will get caught out again on the formatt alone, which is brilliant.

This is the place, location where it all started, so expect it to be a tough one if Fred Glo has anything to do with it

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    HDR275 - Sweep and Vector Air HLR. Be interesting to see what he actually rides though (we all know he has no shortage of bikes - bastard . Agree 100% on both your travel and two bike comments. Think CK brought the Stumpy for the same reason BL brought the Ripley, everyone underestimated how serious the track was going to be. Think the Syndicate boys were surprised also. Not sure what recon they all looked at but comment, after comment was on needing bigger rubber, how rough the course was and how fast the riders who know what to expect were. Really interesting to see how everyone adapted. Graves spending 5 weeks in Morzine tells me some teams are taking this a lot more serious now.
    Gravy was one of the few newer riders to Enduro who came to Rd 1 with his bike sorted though, dual ply Minions SB66c std and he was fit a lethal combo, Martin Maes was also running DH rubber front n rear, notice Nico flatted, very unlike him, he does and always did push technology and any advantage but you cant afford any mechanicals here.

Interesting feedback from those guys you mention, these Enduro guys can ride, Jerome C is an ex DH World Cup top 100 rider and was one to watch back in the day.

CKs choice really surprised me, I would have thought purely on marketing he would have ridden the Enduro since it was supposedly the bike to rule all bikes and wheel sizes,
    Even Anneke Beerten choose the 26" version Enduro over the 29" more strange decision since she practically won every warm up Enduro before hand on the Enduro 29er.

Strange what too many options do to some people

OriginalDonk
    I personally would be stoked to see Graves build on his stellar first round. He really did come ready for the terrain with 2.5" Minions and a beefy build of his SB-66c. I think Nico was running a Larsen rear...definitely less room for error. I'm sure that equipment helped quite a bit in the "oh $#it" moments. I read Graves' race report somewhere and it sounds like he had limited practice due to time and access. He rolled up in his Euro rental car to find guys getting shuttled up in ATVs/Quads and 4WD's. Sounds like the Enduro he was expecting is the Enduro he'll find this round.

When I think of a 4X champion I think of practiced precision...something that wouldn't seem to translate too readily to blind Enduro. One thing we do know is that Graves is a type-A mind who will do anything he can to achieve a goal once he sets it. I'm pulling for Graves, just don't know if he'll repeat his round #1 performance. That being said I hope he does.

I just read the overview of Mavic's new "Enduro" wheel and tire system that Jerome and other Mavic sponsored riders will be running. In addition to this unproven rubber we're looking at a 19mm internal rear rim width. Could be a sad panda few days for a few and I'm predicting multiple flats for those "encouraged" to use the new "system."

I'm starting to look at round #1 with a bit of an asterisk given the fact that we had a lot of guys roll up expecting to ride almost blind racing against guys shuttling with massive team support. I think we'll really see who's got it here in round #2. I've got my e-cred down on Maes.

Bottom line is that it'll be great to read about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'd say Fabien. The guy is just so pinned and let's not forget he has a dh worldcup background.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Thanks for the link. Still disappointed in the lame coverage of what should be the biggest series in the US. Their courses make the Oregon series look like a kindergarten playground.

mtbr member
    Top three, Clementz, Nico, Fabian. Not sure of their order, but they will all be on the podium. Other podium contenders Atherton, Maes, Ducci, Graves and Lopes if he shows. I don't think that Curtis Keene will make the podium. He has a lot to learn about riding at this level (I am sure he could beat my ass though!)

Mtb Guide
    Top three, Clementz, Nico, Fabian. Not sure of their order, but they will all be on the podium. Other podium contenders Atherton, Maes, Ducci, Graves and Lopes if he shows. I don't think that Curtis Keene will make the podium. He has a lot to learn about riding at this level (I am sure he could beat my ass though!)
    Re CK

So true though, plus he'd whip my arse as well!
    No probs on the link.

Origonaldonk, Nico not on Larsens, he was on a proto I think, plus he was riding Lapieres new 27.5" Maxxis don't make the Larsen in 27.5" not sure if they will.

Plus got to keep something for us 26" dies hards haha.

Interesting on the Mavic system, I read that 2, while not a fan of narrow rims myself, I understand why they did it, I dont think they will have flats, AC and Jerome have been running those wheels for awhile, plus it is genuine UST so it should be better than most other systems, not worse.

Mavic invented UST std with Hutchy, they have many years DH experience with the DeeMax, think they will be fine, plus they are Euro and they test in Euro conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if its been tested on the DH WC circuit for kicks.

I personally wont be looking to buy a set, probably go SX if I was buying a set of Mavics, if not Enve then Hope on Stans Flows, my go too option, purley as hubs are so simple to service, light reliable, rims are easily replaced if dinged cracked, cheap too, stiff and light, and easily to source DT spokes and replace repair.

That said I run Enves haha, but Hope on DT/Stans 2nd set.

OriginalDonk
    Ahhh yes. You're right Mav. Too many Nicos in the mix and got them switched in my mind. I assume when we say Nico we all mean Nico V. the legend...but a few other Nicos may make some waves.

Nico Quere, Commencal, on Larsen rear, Ardent front (27th Punta Ala)
    Nico Vouilloz, Lapierre, Hans Dampf rear, proto front (I think this is now the Magic Mary maybe?) (19th in Punta Ala)
    Nico Lau, Cube, same Hans Dampf rear, proto front (Crashed out)

The prologue meant little at Punta Ala but all three Nicos tied for 5th.

1/ Alex Cure 37.8
    2/ Fabian Barel 38.0
    3/ Cedric Gracia 38.1
    3/ Martin Maes 38.1
    5/ Nicolas Vouilloz 38.8
    5/ Nicolas Lau 38.8
    5/ Nicolas Quere 38.8

It's a who's who of gravity oriented mountain biking. Kinda seems like a dozen or so guys could snatch top spot. Really excited about the blind format. Gonna be a ripper.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    Ahhh yes. You're right Mav. Too many Nicos in the mix and got them switched in my mind. I assume when we say Nico we all mean Nico V. the legend...but a few other Nicos may make some waves.

Nico Quere, Commencal, on Larsen rear, Ardent front (27th Punta Ala)
    Nico Vouilloz, Lapierre, Hans Dampf rear, proto front (I think this is now the Magic Mary maybe?) (19th in Punta Ala)
    Nico Lau, Cube, same Hans Dampf rear, proto front (Crashed out)

The prologue meant little at Punta Ala but all three Nicos tied for 5th.

1/ Alex Cure 37.8
    2/ Fabian Barel 38.0
    3/ Cedric Gracia 38.1
    3/ Martin Maes 38.1
    5/ Nicolas Vouilloz 38.8
    5/ Nicolas Lau 38.8
    5/ Nicolas Quere 38.8

It's a who's who of gravity oriented mountain biking. Kinda seems like a dozen or so guys could snatch top spot. Really excited about the blind format. Gonna be a ripper.
    Ahh my bad, to me they're is only one Nico! yeah Vouilloz,
    yeah agree with your thoughts re rd 1.

Me 2 the blind format is going to really test the riders and machine, Im thinking without mechanicals or injury JeromeC should be best placed to take it, Im staying with Fab Fabian 2nd from they're on its anyones guess, Id never write off NicoV, but age is upon all of us dam it lol

Anyone of those guys SP you guys mention could be up they're and maybe an upset!

Gravy is my sudo Kiwi since none of our Kiwis have stepped up to Enduro not at that level yet anyways, though Rosara Joseph is dominating the US series, be interesting to see her at a Euro event.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: Enduro World Series Round 2 Val d'Allos - France 29-30 June

I wonder what bikes Maes and Atherton will be riding. The new GT Force just came out and the 650b + 150mm combo looks lethal for enduro.

Posted via Tapatalk

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    I wonder what bikes Maes and Atherton will be riding. The new GT Force just came out and the 650b + 150mm combo looks lethal for enduro.

Posted via Tapatalk
    If they were to ride it, Id say it would be Maes though his pref is 26" also found a snipit where Dan said he will still be developing the 26" rig(his pref). Personally I think this is a good step because a few years from now where going to realise it was a big mistake to throw out the bath water.
    Everything has its place.

But Dan will still be developing the rig he was riding at Punta, a hardcore line of GTs Atherton style is in the Wings, no pun again

I prefer Dans ver than the new one just released, jmo its mean in an ugly sort of way and its grown on me, performance function ahead of aesthetics, I sort of like that in a modern way.

Mtb Guide
    Not rd 2 yet, but something to wet the taste buds, this SuperEnduro is such an awesome series.

I love Alpine locations, growing up in real high country region, must have rivers and lakes, I have to be near water, why I like RotoVegas region, not quite SI but best place in NI.

This looks stunning location, makes me want to head down to Queenstown even though its not like this right now, snow storms and such and ruddy cold, have to settle for this.

Ibis content

SuperEnduro practice day more review on Pinkbikey

Mtb Guide

Manuel Ducci 3rd

Another Podium for Manuel & HD! congrats dude

Cam Cole 5th fna brilliant Cam..

Defending champ Davide Sottocornola having a hard time of it this year, bummer but, Manuel must be leading the series or very close, hopefully he can take the overall series!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast