Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    154

    Enduro fork for a HD

    So...i have been running a 140/180 talas on my HD, and my riding is changing...i have entered a local enduro series, that has a decent amount of short sharp climbing in it, and so will need a fork with a platform in it...
    Have tried other brands and always come back to fox. I weigh 175 pounds geared up...i am looking at running the hd at 650b with the rear shimmed to 155
    I am looking at one of two options...
    Fox 34 160 with a remote
    Fox 32 150 with terralogic
    I have ridden terralogic before and dig it, the reality is that in a race I dont have time often to use the fork remote whilst using the seatpost remote etc. downside on the 32 at 150 is that it may get noodly in techy rock sections...not sure if 650 will fit inside the 32 150 fork either...
    Opinions? Thoughts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    148
    Rock Shox Pike!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Rock Shox Pike!
    Yeah...looked at that but really need efficency...pike has no platform and no remote lockout so no go...i am an trackie who puts some torque down

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    148
    Well, the Pike is too plain, you're rigth.

    Just I hate these Fox Gadgets that funktion somewhat but make their forks so unresponsive going down.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    171
    Have you looked into the Bos Deville? That's got a platform nowadays and WAY outperforms the Fox on the downhills.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dibbs_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    989
    x-fusion??

  7. #7
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,016
    No platform, HELLO!

    Enduro does not sound like ypure riding Enduros!



    A comeback has never been so amazing. After taking a few years off, PIKE comes back in the RockShox lineup, as the ultimate trail fork. Your trail could be a silky smooth ribbon of singletrack, or a rock-infested goat trail in the Alps. Either way, there is a PIKE for you. All wheel sizes, with 26, 27.5 and 29 options, and 160mm and 150mm travel models, plus a 140mm version for the 29 platform. The RCT3 damper is available in either Dual Position Air or a Solo Air version to complete the offering.


    Specifications for Pike RCT3
    Travel 26/27.5 150mm, 160mm; 29 140mm, 150mm
    Wheels 26", 27.5", 29"
    Weight 26 1835g (4.05 lb), 27.5 1861g (4.10 lb), 29 1876g (4.14 lb)
    Available Springs Dual Position Air, Solo Air
    Adjustments External rebound, low speed compression, 3-position compression (Open/Pedal/Lock)
    Steerer Tapered Aluminum
    Crown Forged, hollow 7075 Aluminum
    Lowers Magnesium, disc only
    Maximum Rotor Size 200mm
    Color Options Black, White
    Other WHEEL SIZE: 26, 27.5, 29, AXLE: Maxle Lite 15mm, *Weight based on 265mm tapered aluminum steerer, Solo Air

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13
    Yea, Pike is your best bet for long travel, smooth fork at a reasonable weight. I'm thinking of replacing my Lyrik with it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    154
    Kinda wanted an adaptable platform, hence the remote or terralogic...
    Any thoughts on these?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    For the love of all that is right and good in the world, please do not put a terralogic/remote fork on an HD. Just saying....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    For the love of all that is right and good in the world, please do not put a terralogic/remote fork on an HD. Just saying....
    Ummmmm why?!

  12. #12
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,016
    Gonna give XFusion a go, Vector HLR dw tune 8.5x2.5, Vengence HLR air @ 160, screw wheel size Im going big legs.

    Gotta rebuild front wheel dam it to go 20mm, Rock shox would be way cheaper no wheel rebuild or hub needed, but! self serviceability, something different, low and high speed compression and reviews just makes me want to give them a try.

    Feel the fear do it anyway right, decision made after I hit my 5m gap jump today, not that I need more travel for that its so smooth if ya make the tranny which I do, funny thing is my Fox I seem to have finally got it to where its not too bad, just feel it could be way better though, plus I need that punch to send the 650b & 29ers into the bushes when they follow me down the trail

    Yeah terra-logic WTH, sounds like your terrain or Enduros are Ripley ripe not HD, just saying.

    I contemplated this on my ride today!

    Never have we had the technology, skills that we have today, yet our trails and trail networks have never been easier!

    I saw the end of another great single track today ruined by the upgrade a digger did, I shake my head at the death of such trails, raped and pillaged.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    154
    Great....thanks for those coherent, well thought out and analytical replies...
    Anyway-we all make compromises to achieve an all round machine, weight vs grip vs durability vs cost etc etc
    Despite some of those addled recent replies I am after genuine opinions on which technique of platform would be better, will the 32 legs be too flexy at my weight, and if not will the 650 wheels fit...
    If so is the new incarnation of the 34 fork with remote a good option, after real world opinion not a a one line opinion or a post ride diatribe...
    Just sayin...

  14. #14
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,016
    Get the 32,

    Ah cant be bothered enjoy!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    966
    I'm going from the 180 Talas to a 34 Float 160 CTD....saves a pound, and has lockout, etc. Have the same reasons, do more aggressive AM than Freeride and find the 180 to be overkill for most situations. Though it is nice that 5% of the time

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    To answer your question, platform/lockout forks inherently have more stiction and subsequently do not work as well. The HD is designed to be efficient going up and down without any need for platforms, lockouts, etc. A platform may be helpful for XC style racing, but your descending will suffer significantly in an Enduro. I recently ran a 34 Talas CTD back to back with a Pike and I can tell that the Pike was SIGNIFICANTLY better on the descent even with a lot of pedaling. The Fox was very harsh in the midstroke because of the extra seals required. There was more than 45 seconds difference over a 5 minute descent because the front tire could not find any grip and was skipping across the top of everything.

    A lot of the fork movement you see comes from poor pedaling form and not the need for a lockout. If you focus on pedaling circles instead of squares you will see virtually no bob front or rear. This was pointed out today while riding with a friend up a very steep paved climb. He commented that my Lyrik 170 was not moving at all while his Revelation 140 looked like a pogo stick. Both of us were out of the saddle grinding and riding side by side. It is important to note that I run my fork wide open in the softest low speed/high speed/rebound settings while he runs significantly more rebound and compression damping which should have made it more stable during the climb.

    Hopefully this helps with your decision. If you can find it in your area, Rockshox does a demo van tour where they will mount up different forks on your bike so you can get an idea of the differences. Personally having ridden a 36 Float, 34 Float, 34 Talas, Lyrik and Pike I would go Pike unless you really want the extra adjustability of the Lyrik RC2DH damper. The Fox 32/34 will mess with the geometry of your bike since they are shorter overall at 535/525 at 160/150 vs. the 545 of the Float/Lyrik at 160 which is what the bike was designed around. The Pike comes in a 542 so is within the margin of error. In our local Enduro last week not one rider on the podium in Pro or Expert was running travel adjust, lockout or terralogic. Just my $.02, but I have ridden a lot of configs on this bike.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Gonna give XFusion a go, Vector HLR dw tune 8.5x2.5, Vengence HLR air @ 160, screw wheel size Im going big legs.

    Gotta rebuild front wheel dam it to go 20mm, Rock shox would be way cheaper no wheel rebuild or hub needed, but! self serviceability, something different, low and high speed compression and reviews just makes me want to give them a try.

    Feel the fear do it anyway right, decision made after I hit my 5m gap jump today, not that I need more travel for that its so smooth if ya make the tranny which I do, funny thing is my Fox I seem to have finally got it to where its not too bad, just feel it could be way better though, plus I need that punch to send the 650b & 29ers into the bushes when they follow me down the trail

    Yeah terra-logic WTH, sounds like your terrain or Enduros are Ripley ripe not HD, just saying.

    I contemplated this on my ride today!

    Never have we had the technology, skills that we have today, yet our trails and trail networks have never been easier!

    I saw the end of another great single track today ruined by the upgrade a digger did, I shake my head at the death of such trails, raped and pillaged.
    Getting your Fox to "not too bad" is much different from "Wow this is the best fork I have ever ridden!" You will love the Vengance and I found that the Pike rode very similar.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    154
    Thanks salespunk, really appreciate that feedback...
    Exactly what I was looking for...
    Having been a national level track rider I am certainly aware of pedalling style, however Perhaps because of this background I put a lot of power through the front...
    What about a float with a lockout?

  19. #19
    mountain biker
    Reputation: slyfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    522
    Salespunk, are you comparing the 2014 Pike to the 2014 lineup from Fox? I'm curious about Fox's 'new' Talas, with it's supposed better midstroke support and fewer seals. In fact, I'm shopping around for a new fork now, and I've narrowed it down to the Lyrik RC2DH or 2014 36 Talas RC2. If Fox hadn't updated the internals, there would be no contest: the Lyrik would have won hands down. Also, the introduction of the new Pike makes me wonder if the same damping system will be released to the Lyrik soon too.

    To the OP: check out the 2014 line of shocks from Fox. Not only for the aforementionned reasons, but also the 'climb' mode of CTD now is essentially a lockout. the 'trail' mode has three positions to better suit your style and preferences. I would also add that it seems that Enduro races are not won on the pedaling sections, but rather on the DH sections. In your position, I would prioritize DH control and speed over pedalling performance for the fork.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    966
    Will be getting my 34 Float installed in the next few days...will report back the difference between it and the 180 Talas. Give me a week and I should have a few good rides in.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    Thanks salespunk, really appreciate that feedback...
    Exactly what I was looking for...
    Having been a national level track rider I am certainly aware of pedalling style, however Perhaps because of this background I put a lot of power through the front...
    What about a float with a lockout?
    Probably your best option. The biggest issue I can see is actually trying to use the lockout during a race. The courses here are rough so reaching down to change it would be impossible. In addition you would lose a few seconds because you wouldn't be out of the saddle pushing.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Salespunk, are you comparing the 2014 Pike to the 2014 lineup from Fox? I'm curious about Fox's 'new' Talas, with it's supposed better midstroke support and fewer seals. In fact, I'm shopping around for a new fork now, and I've narrowed it down to the Lyrik RC2DH or 2014 36 Talas RC2. If Fox hadn't updated the internals, there would be no contest: the Lyrik would have won hands down. Also, the introduction of the new Pike makes me wonder if the same damping system will be released to the Lyrik soon too.

    To the OP: check out the 2014 line of shocks from Fox. Not only for the aforementionned reasons, but also the 'climb' mode of CTD now is essentially a lockout. the 'trail' mode has three positions to better suit your style and preferences. I would also add that it seems that Enduro races are not won on the pedaling sections, but rather on the DH sections. In your position, I would prioritize DH control and speed over pedalling performance for the fork.
    No, 2014 to 2013 since I have not had access yet to the 2014 Fox line. What makes the Pike so stellar in my opinion is that you are getting the performance of the Lyrik with a DH cartridge, but significantly lighter. What you lose is fine tuning of the compression characteristics. The damper on the Pike is similar to the FIT cartridges from Fox, just much better executed. In addition they have added a new feature that keeps the fork higher in the travel.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Will be getting my 34 Float installed in the next few days...will report back the difference between it and the 180 Talas. Give me a week and I should have a few good rides in.
    Thanks, that would be great!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdemars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I run my fork wide open in the softest low speed/high speed/rebound settings

    ...the extra adjustability of the Lyrik RC2DH damper.
    Good to know I'm not the only one running this wide open. Granted I've only had this rig running for less than 2 weeks, but I've had a couple good trail rides and about 6 sessions at the bike park including slope style lines. With 8 lbs under suggested pressure I don't use full travel on the fork.

    Compare that to the 2013 Fox CTD shock where I bottom out unless I have about 10# over recommended PSI on the rear. WTF? Oh and those three settings (CT&D)? Don't. Do. Squat. No perceptible difference.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    I am running 47 PSI for 195 lb rider weight with gear. This gives me about 25% sag and seems perfect. I do get full travel on big drops, but for most rides I have 1-1.5" of travel unused. I never believe the recommendations on air pressure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Enduro Fork Seals
    By crazyjeys in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 291
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 09:25 PM
  2. Enduro Fork Seals - Installation
    By ts8169 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 07:03 AM
  3. Enduro Fork seals
    By madriaanse in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 04:30 AM
  4. 2010+ enduro with a 180 fork??
    By FlyingIrish in forum Specialized
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 10:29 PM
  5. new fox fork for 2002 enduro pro?
    By ace008 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 12:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •