Mtb Guide

Enduro - Dialled Rides!

Dialled Rides,(Edit) What Pros Ride!

Where they expose the mysteries of bike setup and reveal secrets from those at the pinnacle of the sport!!

Learn more about these riders bike setups and inside secrets, interesting to see not so dissimilar.

Great oil though!

1: Dialled Rides – tuning tips from the pro’s: Jerome Clementz

2: Dialled Rides – tuning tips from the pro’s: Jared Graves

3: Dialled Rides – tuning tips from the pro’s: Dudes of Hazzard

Enjoy...
    Last edited by Maverick005; 10-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Lightly salted
    Good read! Thanks for the links.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    WHERE'S THE BLOODY IBIS LINKS??

Or are they they just that good they don't require faffing with

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links, that was a fun read.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by my02 View Post
    WHERE'S THE BLOODY IBIS LINKS??

Or are they they just that good they don't require faffing with
    Patience big Guy, it's coming

Welcome guys.

Actually I I never really think about brands too much when it comes to racing, Im more focused on setups, same with wheel sizes, it's not until someone makes a big faff about it mines bigger than yours, I just see bikes!

Like Boobs, I like boobs I don't care about sizes
    Sorry had to go they're couldn't resist.

mtbr member
    LOL, people gonna read this and go pump their shocks full of air and let all their air out of their tires.

When you hear a top racer say their rebound is slow, take it with a grain of salt. Slow to them is like normal for most people. So don't read that some people run it slow and go crank your rebound all the way in. Run it as fast as you can ride it, without it getting squirelly. My personal challenge is running the rebound fast enough that I can still react to its movements even when I'm tired. I can stay on top of it when I'm feeling fresh but as soon as I start getting tired the bike starts wanting to get away from me, as my body is more dead weight then working with the bike. In the past I have slowed down the bike when it starts bucking, but now I try to leave the bike riding correctly, and just force myself to ride right.

Theres also a window of correct suspension setup, when these pros talk about, fast, firm, slow, soft, etc. They are not talking from one end of the spectrum to other other. Its within a window of adjustment (after taking in frame geo, and rider weight of course). Its also speed depedant, an older guy who doesn't rail might not want a fast, poppy, firm bike, and a young ripper who lets it all hang out is not going to want a plush, slow, and soft setup. Same goes with tire pressure, look at how light some of these guys are, 120-150 pounds, and they're rolling on 1.5- dual ply 1000 gram casing tires. Then again you see Graves and Liam saying they are heavier and run correspondingly higher psi.

Gotta take everything you read within reference.

mtbr member
    So funny I JUST had this conversation with someone asking for help with their suspension setup and he pointed to these links! Was trying to run 15% sag and super slow rebound. I pointed out that he was not going EWS speed and the light went on! LOL everyone thinks their setup has to be like the pro's.

Mtb Guide
    Well I didn't post this so everyone would go a setup like a pro!

No one should be running 15% sag here on an HD for example.

Bit of common sense, I would have thought, pretty easy to do some runs and feel a difference ! I'm a big lad and I run 30% sag, half glass full yeah!

This is not a how too thread, its a look at what these guys do, I'm sure taking this further many don't ride trails like that either, so not that difficult but I disagree many can learn important stuff here!

Also quite a variation from variation from rider to rider, if we dismissed this, we would all be still riding Penny farthings, the bikes tech we ride now is because of guys like this over the years have been pushing and developing better bikes for us.

Suspension apart from spring rate ratio to rider weight is about the only thing different, though I've ridden a couple of pro DH bikes and while way stiffer than mine at the time, the suppleness off the top, geo maintained of the bike and the control I had even on the first run was pretty amazing.

The rebounds and I like mine slow compared to others, I've always been in this camp, I don't use crutches for poor technique never believed in it and seen too many hurt by this theory fast as possible will bite you sooner or later.

Dismiss it all you want, a recent team Demo, pro tuned I rode was so slow spring rate so hard, I was pretty nervous on my first run, dropping in on the first section it all changed pretty quick the bike was amazing, I hit every feature first run, in rutted corners roots the traction blew me away, not what I expected, I brought a new bought Fox 40 a week later and tried to set it up as close as I could, absolutely changed my bike for the better.

Anyway Im not trying to force people here to drink, do what you have always done or be open to learn, I"m the later always have been. I love learning new stuff, but I take what works sometimes all, mostly just the stuff that suits if it doesn't help me progress, but I don't just try something once, nothing will ever work if you do that.

Some times you must unlearn what you have learned free the mind!

mtbr member
    I don't believe in fast or slow rebound, I just believe in running a bike that floats under you and stays high in the travel. So you have to set the bike up to work within the constraints of the rider and the frame design. I don't necessarily run super fast suspension, but I know if I was in better shape and could handle it, I'd go faster if I did. I just run a fairly neutral setup.

I've found slow rebound to be a crutch for not being able to pump the bike hard enough off of hits. If you stiff leg it, the faster rebound will buck you and make you feel in less control, especially off of jumps. So its natural for a lot of riders to run the rebound slow to avoid getting bucked, and likely in the rear. If you are an active enough rider (aka fast) then you can react quick enough to allow the bike to come up into you, which will make the bike do eveyrthing faster and maintain more speed, neutral positiion and pop. A crutch would be an average trail rider running his rebound fast because the rider does not know how to pump or pop and has to run the rebound quicker to make the bike do the work....... Its all just "generally speaking" anyway, everyone rides different trails, different styles, speeds etc. Everyones version of what is stiff, slow, fast, etc is different anyway so we might not be too far off from each other.

I'm totally into reading about the pro setups, its awesome we can hear about it. Just throwing out some food for thought, since this is a forum and thats kinda what people do is talk about things related.