mtbr member

Emergency singlespeeding an HD

Well... I managed to brake my rear derailleur for the first time on an HD. After the experience I wonder if there is a "proper way" to deal with it.

What I did is to make the bike single speed, put the chain in about the middle (2nd front ring, 4th rear ring from bigger to smaller), cut it as tight as possible and let the shock in open position.

Soon I realized I had lost my rear suspension as the shock was "blocked" and next realized the chain was super, super tight. I finalized going up and then the entrie way down with my hardtail singlespeed, skewaking and bouncing much more than I'd desired.

As an HD newbie, did I the right thing? Shall I replace the chain now? A friend told me the chain shall to be replaced after the event.. the bike is barely 2 months old Please advice.

Thanks

pooter
    Aug 2008
    Replace the chain...just like regularly changing the oil on your car, done oftern a new chain is a relatively cheap way to keep a bike running smooth.

I had the same experience you had....tried to run a SS with little luck and ended up running the bike out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You shouldn't do that......the rear suspension gets longer as it compresses which puts huge stress on the chain and drivetrain.

Yes, replace the chain.

mtbr member
    What you did was a good approach, personally though you should fully compress the suspension (or remove one end of the shock) whilst checking the chain length to make sure you don't stretch the chain.

I recently wrecked my rear derailleur and just freewheeled back to the trail head, obviously this isn't always possible though!
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mountain biker
    if you have to bypass your derailleur, you need to leave the chain slack enough so that as the suspension compresses it doesn't tug at the chain. In other words when you're off the bike, and even under static sag, the chain will be droopy. You won't be able to finish your ride normally as a "single speed", you'll have to nurse your way out of the trail. Also, I would have put my shock in the full closed position to minimize suspension movement, to minimize spikes in tension on the chain.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Tried to run the original chain while I was getting the new one (LBS won't have one) and it only lasted a single run. The chain was trying to suck into the frame all the time and after I reviewed it several links were twisted and one almost give in. Chain replacement was a must.

Shame there is no proper way to get out of the hills pedaling if I lose the RD :-(

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=Mithrandir;9933580]Tried to run the original chain while I was getting the new one (LBS won't have one)

Mithrandir , your LBS didnīt have a Shimano chain? , donīt forget to post here your review of the magnificent HD .... ........and where you bought that bike

Regards.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Tried to run the original chain while I was getting the new one (LBS won't have one) and it only lasted a single run. The chain was trying to suck into the frame all the time and after I reviewed it several links were twisted and one almost give in. Chain replacement was a must.

Shame there is no proper way to get out of the hills pedaling if I lose the RD :-(
    You could always throw a SS spring chain tensioner in your pack.

mountain biker
    the answer to our problems:

if only it were in production...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the last biker View Post
    Mithrandir , your LBS didnīt have a Shimano chain? , donīt forget to post here your review of the magnificent HD .... ........and where you bought that bike
    Nope, the small town I come from only have two "decent" LBS where the best fit was some doubtful roadie shimano chain :-S So a friend of mine got me one from a bigger city a couple days later... A review should be out a couple months later ;-)