mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Effect of smoke and fire on carbon

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Mojo frame would be affected by smoke. I know that any sort of direct flame would probably melt the frame but would the heat from a fire do any damage that couldn't be seen by the naked eye?

The reason I'm asking is there was a fire at my lbs (which started 4 stores over and destroyed half the block) and my old Mojo was in their storage facility upstairs. It survived the fire but they don't know if it's salvageable or not. There were a couple other Mojos that didn't make it.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Bummer! Who is responsible insurance wise? I'd look into that. I doubt smoke would do the damage it would be the heat. Do you know how hot it got? How close were the bikes that didn't make it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloorwestSiR
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Mojo frame would be affected by smoke. I know that any sort of direct flame would probably melt the frame but would the heat from a fire do any damage that couldn't be seen by the naked eye?

The reason I'm asking is there was a fire at my lbs (which started 4 stores over and destroyed half the block) and my old Mojo was in their storage facility upstairs. It survived the fire but they don't know if it's salvageable or not. There were a couple other Mojos that didn't make it.

Any thoughts?
    The problem might be the resin not so much the carbon fiber. As long as it was below 200-250C it should be fine. Smoke cannot do anything to a composite.

mtbr member
    I would think that if the tires and grips are ok, then the frame is still ok. But I don't know what type of resin Ibis uses in their frames.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'd want a new bike if there was any doubt. What about really hot and then doused with cold water?
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This is a question for Hans really. The main point is what temperature the bike was cured at, are they autoclaved?? I can only guess they are put in an oven only and vacuume bagged, in which case I would be surprised if its much over 100degC, Hans? Resin will set at room temperature, its the exothermic reaction between the resin and the catalyst which makes the reaction happen. The temperature of this can vary massively simply due to how much there is being made at the time and how spread out it is, i.e. in a pot it will get much hotter!

As Davide said its the resin that's the problem, not really the carbon, but 200degC sounds pretty high to me! Heating and quick cooling would likely do some damage, but think this would be visible in the form of a crack or something. As I have no idea at what temperature grips melt that's also a little dubious. Get as much info from the fire brigade and take some photos of the room, this may shed some light on how hot it got in there, to an expert, not us monkeys!!

Also get some photos of the bike to Hans and co and let them decide!! Good luck, I hope it is ok..
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

holding back the darkness
    Depending on conditions in the room smoke can reach incredible temperatures. Smoke is often sort of an inverted sea of unburned fuels, made largely of course, of carbon monoxide which has an auto-igniton temp somewhere around 1200 degrees F. Which means that 1200F is the upper limit of what the temps in the room could reach with just smoke before the room would flash. It's pretty amazing to watch through a thermal imager.
    So... just because there was no direct flame impingement doesn't mean that it didn't get very very hot.
    Are there any signs of heat damage to the paint or clear coat? I'd think the paint and clear coat would give up the fight before the resin would. The seat might show heat damage at lower temperatures as well, especially at the stitching and if made of leather.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    From what I understand, the bike was pulled out relatively intact. There's nothing melted on the bike. The shop's insurance is going to cover full replacement of the bike and has let the shop keep anything salvaged. It was on the second floor near the back of the shop (the only area to survive) while the ones completely destroyed were on the ground floor and in the basement. The building collapsed as a result of the fire damage so there's definitely nothing left of those ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would never ride a suspect frame/bike. There are times when your life depends on it, there are many more times when your health depends on it. It's bad enough to warranty a brandnew frame, but who wants to stand up and back one that has been fried?

What is $5K compared to that? Claim the insurance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Since this is a carbon bike, you better call Ibis and ask them if your ride is still rideable or you should send it in for a check up.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloorwestSiR
    From what I understand, the bike was pulled out relatively intact. There's nothing melted on the bike. The shop's insurance is going to cover full replacement of the bike and has let the shop keep anything salvaged. It was on the second floor near the back of the shop (the only area to survive) while the ones completely destroyed were on the ground floor and in the basement. The building collapsed as a result of the fire damage so there's definitely nothing left of those ones.
    Wow! Which store is this? Not Duke's is it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm not worried about the replacement as the shop's insurance will be covering it. It might be an interesting conversation piece. Maybe turn it into a piece of post modern art or furniture...

I was more curious as to the effect something like the fire would have on carbon.

Carbon Ken, yes it was the big fire at Duke's. I was fortunate that i picked up my SL the Friday before the fire.