Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KevinK
    Jul 2005

Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC

I've narrowed down my new wheelset choice to these two companies.

Does anyone have any experience with these wheels?

So far, this is what I have learned, from posts.

Easton Hubs are not durable, customer service is not the best, turn around times are lengthy.
    Easton Carbons are UST certified!
    Inner width is 19mm
    Can use wheels up to 2.3"

ENVE has great reviews and great customer service. I would go with the DT 240s Hubs, knowing they are amazing, still on my Titus for over 7 years and working great.
    ENVE Rims need a conversion kit to make them tubeless ready.
    Inner width is 18mm. Can use wheels up to 2.2"

I'm leaning toward ENVE, even though they need Gorilla tape to make them tubeless ready.

I am a XC/Trail rider. Will be going on an Ibis Mojo SL.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Kevin

_
    Mar 2004
    I'd go with the wider rim, UST ready Easton.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Alright, I'm going to throw the Fulcrum Carbon XRP into the mix here. Any one have experience with this wheelset?

1347g weight, 19mm inner width, UST wheels, no tape needed.

Thanks,

Kevin

meh
    Id go with the wider Enve's AMs if i was willing to spend that kind of cash over any of the other options youve listed...but since im not willing to spend that on rims, i went with the wide chinese carbon rims

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You do realize that even Stan's rims are taped on the inside?

Too Much Fun

Good job! Same here: ENVE.

Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    Id go with the wider Enve's AMs if i was willing to spend that kind of cash over any of the other options youve listed...but since im not willing to spend that on rims, i went with the wide chinese carbon rims
    If I was spending the OP's money for him, I'd spend it on the Enves.

...so which wide chinese carbon rims did you go with?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    If I was spending the OP's money for him, I'd spend it on the Enves.

...so which wide chinese carbon rims did you go with?
    I think Just about everyone is going with the light-bicycle ones.

As far as I can tell the DT 240s is the best rear hub out there (I just bought another one) when you consider weight (one of the lightest, only thing significantly lighter is the extralite which has its own downside), maintenance cost (very low), durability (very high) and reasonable warranty.

That is a big reason why I went the route I did. I was seriously considering enve but decided I'd give light-bicycle a shot first.

meh
    yeah, light bicycle, theres an almost 80 page thread on the 29er version in the 29er components forum and a 26" thread in wheels

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Thanks benja55, I'm leaning toward the ENVE wheelset, but really want to hear about the Fulcrum wheelset. Almost identical to the ENVE but, no tape required. Of course, the ENVE has the option of my favorite Hub, which is on my other bike, the DT 240s. I not sure but, I think the Fulcrum hubs are made by Campy.

Thanks again,

Kevin

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hi canuck_tacoma. I knew that! My other bike, Titus, has the Mavic 819 hoops, which are UST wheels, no tape needed. I currently have the DT Swiss Tricon wheels on my Ibis, also no tape required. Nice not to worry about changing the tape, every nth year.

Thanks again,

Kevin

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hi litany. Let me know how the light-bicycle wheels handle. Good alternative to saving some money. If they are as good as the Fulcrum/Enve, it would be a great choice. Good luck!

Kevin

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hi clewttu. Thanks for the link! What do you think about the fulcrum wheels?
    FULCRUM Wheels - Products: Red Carbon XRP

Thanks again,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Would it be possible to replace the hubs on the EC90s with another brand down the road or are the Rim/Spokes/hub proprietary?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Hi canuck_tacoma. I knew that! My other bike, Titus, has the Mavic 819 hoops, which are UST wheels, no tape needed. I currently have the DT Swiss Tricon wheels on my Ibis, also no tape required. Nice not to worry about changing the tape, every nth year.

Thanks again,

Kevin
    Understood........just pointing it out so that you don't overlook a good wheelset because of tape.

Unless you're running UST, you should be replacing the sealant every year so doing the tape takes a few extra minutes per wheel. Out of all the pain in the butt things we have to do for our bikes, re-taping a wheel is pretty easy.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hi Trashcanmike. If that were possible, it would make my decision really easy. If Easton gave the option to use any hub on the market, or a specific few, similar to ENVE, I would have already had them on my bike. I do love my DT 240S on my Titus though! Maybe Easton will rethink their hub position with this wheelset, maybe not. Tried to e-mail them, couldn't get through. Heard from multiple people their customer service is horrible.

Thanks again,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was researching carbon wheelsets at one point. Then came to my financial senses. BUT if I were to do it, it'd be Enve's. Like others said, Easton uses cheap Chinese-made hubs. Why spend $2k+ on a wheelset with crap hubs? For about the same $, you could build a sweet Enve AM wheelset with Kings.

Or if you wanna save some $, build them with Hopes. They're much better than the DT Swiss, more pawls, good customer service.
    We Ride In God's Country!

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Thanks myitch! Just found out the FULCRUM only offers a 2 year warranty, without any crash replacement program. Looks like, once again, I'll be leaning toward the ENVE wheelset.

I've had DT240S hubs on my titus for over 7 years, with zero problems. The pawls are enough for my type of riding. I do love virtually zero maintenance, and durability.

I'm trying to bring the rotational weight down on my Ibis SL, so probably go with the xc. Current wheelset on the Ibis is the DT Tricon, super strong, but, on the heavy side. I only do XC and Trail riding here in So Calif!. The rides I do in Utah, Colorado, are similar to Trail riding here. I have my Titus as my Trail/AM bike. That has heavy duty Mavic 819 hoops with DT240S hubs. Bullet proof.

Thanks again,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ah, dry SoCal. If you don't ride much in the wet and mostly XC, than the 240s and Enve XC seems like a good wheelset for you. Some save dollars, well compared to the Eastons with crap hubs or Enve AM's with Kings, and weight.

If you consider 819's "Heavy duty" then yes, you're a more mellow rider on your equipment. The 819s are Mavic UST XC rim, but they are on the heavier side being double-walled rims but also very strong.

I just can't myself to spend $2k+ on a wheelset. But if you can afford, more fun in rotational weight savings.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hey myithc, Yeah, I keep my equipment in great condition. Pretty much 90% dry riding, and the other 10%, light, and I do mean light, humidity riding!

Well, Ibis came out with a new SLR, which kicks butt, but, I couldn't justify buying another bike, when my bike is still kick butt! Its the SL version. So, I figured, after a few years of savings, treat myself to a nice wheelset. Should make my bike ride like a different animal.

The current wheelset on the Ibis, DT Tricon, is trail/AM riding, light for AM, but, I really don't need that much strength. Now going for a reduction in rotational weight.

Thanks again,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Kevin, for a light, stiff, strong XC wheelset I'm really happy with these. Fairwheelbikes built these for me. I saved further weight by using 25mm Stan's yellow tape vs the heavy Gorilla tape Enve supplies. They converted to tubliss using tube type tires no problem. They turned my Mojo SL into a rocket.
    Enve XC UST 26" rims with custom decals.28 hole. Bead width = 18.5mm. Internal rim wall width = 21mm.
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes.
    Extralite hubs. Front = 15mm TA. Rear = 36 POE.
    1169 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC-enve_extralite_studio_02_1.jpg  

Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC-enve_extralite_front_scale_1.jpg  

Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC-enve_extralite_rear_scale_1.jpg  

Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC-img_3170_1.jpg  

Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC-img_3169_1.jpg  

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    WOW xc71!!! Awesome!!! Using the Stans tape, have you had any leaks or problems? Those are some incredible wheels, beautiful, light, and strong! What kind of wheels are you using? Dang, I have the same fork! What is the total weight of your SL? My SL is just over 24lbs.

Did you look at other Carbon fiber, light, strong wheels before deciding on the ENVE wheels?

Thanks again xc71, Awesome pictures and great information,

Kevin

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Here's a link of my bike when it was brand spakin new! Everything is the same, except tires!
    All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have Enve AM's on my HD and they're very sweet. Built up with Chris King hubs. They spin up well and feel great on trail.

Also, I'm running them tubeless.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Sounds awesome Fassn8! What tires are you using on them? Thanks for sharing your experience on the ENVE wheels. Did you purchase from ENVE or another shop?

Thanks again,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    WOW xc71!!! Awesome!!! Using the Stans tape, have you had any leaks or problems? Those are some incredible wheels, beautiful, light, and strong! What kind of wheels are you using? Dang, I have the same fork! What is the total weight of your SL? My SL is just over 24lbs.

Did you look at other Carbon fiber, light, strong wheels before deciding on the ENVE wheels?

Thanks again xc71, Awesome pictures and great information,

Kevin
    No leaks or issues with the Stan's tape.Did you mean what kind of tires I'm using?
    Front= Rocket Ron 2.4 EVO @ 490 grams
    Rear = Conti Race King Supersonic 2.2 @ 446 grams. I weigh my tires before purchasing as there's a huge difference in weights.
    My Mojo SL is 21.6 lbs. with a 150mm fork, wide riser bar, 2 x9 gearing, wide large volume tires.
    Just got a new Tune Alcantara saddle & power cordz cables I will be installing next week which should have the weight around 21.4 lbs.
    I looked at the Easton's, but found hub issues. Really liked the DT carbon rims, but no UST bead and I don't want to run rim strips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey myithc, Yeah, I keep my equipment in great condition. Pretty much 90% dry riding, and the other 10%, light, and I do mean light, humidity riding!

Well, Ibis came out with a new SLR, which kicks butt, but, I couldn't justify buying another bike, when my bike is still kick butt! Its the SL version. So, I figured, after a few years of savings, treat myself to a nice wheelset. Should make my bike ride like a different animal.

The current wheelset on the Ibis, DT Tricon, is trail/AM riding, light for AM, but, I really don't need that much strength. Now going for a reduction in rotational weight.

Thanks again,

Kevin
    I hear you on treating yourself. These are sweet wheels for sure. And once you have them, you'll be able to use them for many years on other frames to come. They'll likely outlast any aluminum rim with weight savings to boot.

I have to admit it is very tempting to break down and get a set myself. But I resist. Maybe if I were racing.

Ride on!

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Very nice xc71! Are the Rocket Rons staying on o.k.? The spec for max recommended size is 2.2. How do you like the grip of those tires, on an insane wheelset? Dang, I feel the urge to order coming on quick! :P Must remain calm!

Thanks again,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm currently running Specialized:
    2.4 Purgatory UST Grid (Front)
    2.3 Ground Control UST (Rear)

My wife is also rocking the Enve's, but the XC versions on her SL-R.
    She has the stock specialized tires. (non-UST) and is running them tubeless as well.

Purchased through Enve.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hey xc71, what double crank are you using? I was thinking about switching to the new XTR Double, but, it weighs a bit more than my Rotor's. Are you running 10sp? What kind of rear derailleur are you using? Heck, is there a spec list of your bike?

Thanks. Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8 View Post
    I have Enve AM's on my HD and they're very sweet. Built up with Chris King hubs. They spin up well and feel great on trail.

Also, I'm running them tubeless.
    What's your build spec and final weight? If I had money to burn those Enve's with Kings would be...well, King!

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Thanks myitch! Dang, I think you just talked me into getting them! Thanks again,
    Kevin

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hey myitch. Here is a link to my build, except I currently have a WTB Wolverine on the back. I'm guessing the ENVE will drop my bikes total weight in the 22lbs range.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Hi Fassn8. How are those tires working, grip wise, when climbing?
    Your wife has the version I'm thinking of getting, but she has an AWESOME BIKE!!!! Contrats! The reason for getting these wheels, is, I can't justify buying the SL-R, when my SL is in great shape! So, my answer, is, wheels, but dang, she has both! Must be a very, nice, fast ride! Thanks again,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hey xc71, what double crank are you using? I was thinking about switching to the new XTR Double, but, it weighs a bit more than my Rotor's. Are you running 10sp? What kind of rear derailleur are you using? Heck, is there a spec list of your bike?

Thanks. Kevin
    I will probably do a thread/spec list in the near future.
    Running 2 x 9 gearing. XTR cranks are nice but heavy & pricing. check this out.
    S-Works carbon cranks on Mojo SL
    Running a XTR 970 rear der. with carbon inner & outer cages, KCNC jockey wheels, all the bolts have been changed to Aluminium & Nylon. XTR 970 11/34 cassette with Yemya Ti upgrade, so the 6 largest cogs are Ti.
    The pic of the rear der. has carbon jockey wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC-img_0585_1.jpg  

Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC-img_0066_1.jpg  

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    WOW xc71, those cranks are insane, and LIGHT! Does specialized use the Lightening cranks are rebrand them? Also, how did you make the BB fit. I didn't think they were compatible. They do look awesome though! Man, that's light!

Thanks again,

Kevin

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Just read your link!! Awesome! Congrats!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    WOW xc71, those cranks are insane, and LIGHT! Does specialized use the Lightening cranks are rebrand them? Also, how did you make the BB fit. I didn't think they were compatible. They do look awesome though! Man, that's light!

Thanks again,

Kevin
    Specialized bought the Patent from Lightning. Specialized would like you to believe they only fit their propietary BB, but these are the easiest cranks going to mount on a threaded 68mm BB. I had to figure it out myself as when I talked to a Spec. Tech on the phone they where rude & completely useless.
    Click on the link I sent - its all in there on how to do it.
    Last edited by xc71; 07-26-2012 at 06:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi Trashcanmike. If that were possible, it would make my decision really easy. If Easton gave the option to use any hub on the market, or a specific few, similar to ENVE, I would have already had them on my bike. I do love my DT 240S on my Titus though! Maybe Easton will rethink their hub position with this wheelset, maybe not. Tried to e-mail them, couldn't get through. Heard from multiple people their customer service is horrible.

Thanks again,

Kevin
    Well I guess I'll find out the hard way. I have the EC90's on my new (unfinished) SLR. Very few choices here in Indonesia.

Wonder why no one has mentioned the cobalt 11s...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have the XT build kit with XTR rear derailleur. Added Chromag bars (cut to 760mm), Chromag stem (70mm) and Rock Shox Reverb. Haven't actually weighed it but will try to do so this weekend. I'm guessing it's right around 30lbs.

My wifes SL-R (size small) with similar build weighed in at 25.7lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC-img_5533.jpg  

Easton EC90 XC Carbon 26" vs. ENVE Twenty6 XC-img_5554.jpg  

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Wow Fassn8! Sweet bikes! I saw your wife's bike on the SL-R forum. Mojo SL-R Picture and Build Thread

Your builds are very smart, best wheels, and lesser components you can always upgrade later, as they improve, get lighter, stronger. Wish I had the foresight to do the same two years ago! Very nice!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Kevin, for a light, stiff, strong XC wheelset I'm really happy with these. Fairwheelbikes built these for me. I saved further weight by using 25mm Stan's yellow tape vs the heavy Gorilla tape Enve supplies. They converted to tubliss using tube type tires no problem. They turned my Mojo SL into a rocket.
    Enve XC UST 26" rims with custom decals.28 hole. Bead width = 18.5mm. Internal rim wall width = 21mm.
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes.
    Extralite hubs. Front = 15mm TA. Rear = 36 POE.
    1169 grams.
    As I mentioned previously in the thread, I would not (and did not, despite it being VERY tempting) go with the extralite rear hub over the DT240.

The only real problem with the extralite is the freehub is a wear item that they say lasts 1-2 seasons and costs 99Euro+shipping to replace. I wasn't really interested in burning through $200+ a year on the hub so I went with the 240s with a 50-60g weight penalty. There are a few hubs that are marginally lighter than the 240 (10-20g depending on version) but these don't seem to have the reputation for durability or have as long of a warranty.

It's really too bad extralite doesn't make another rear hub thats slightly heavier but has less freehub wear. The extralite freehub also seems extremely loud.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an extralite hater...I just got these:

Yes, their weights are equal and I plan on using both in light-bicycle carbon front wheels with cx-rays. I think they came in 2g less than stated on the extralite site but I think that's because they are 15qr and not 9mm. Oh and they are freaking BEAUTIFUL. The machining is fantastic and the detail is amazing.
    Last edited by litany; 07-26-2012 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    I was researching carbon wheelsets at one point. Then came to my financial senses. BUT if I were to do it, it'd be Enve's. Like others said, Easton uses cheap Chinese-made hubs. Why spend $2k+ on a wheelset with crap hubs? For about the same $, you could build a sweet Enve AM wheelset with Kings.

Or if you wanna save some $, build them with Hopes. They're much better than the DT Swiss, more pawls, good customer service.
    DT Swiss 240s don't use pawls, it's a star ratchet. You can easily upgrade it to the more machined, lighter weight (like 10g or something) 36pt (hope is 24pt) if that's your thing but in any case it is a pair of rings that fully engage on each other both pulling each other together and centering themselves. It's a very cool system, very easy to service (keep greased, which you have to do with pawls too) and if you do break it, it's the simplest thing ever to replace. The DT is lighter than the hope and bombproof, everyone from XC racers to downhillers use them. I kind of don't see the point of the 60g heavier hope.
    Last edited by litany; 07-26-2012 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey myitch. Here is a link to my build, except I currently have a WTB Wolverine on the back. I'm guessing the ENVE will drop my bikes total weight in the 22lbs range.

How do you like that fork? Theres very little information I was able to find out about it so I went revelation xx wc.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    I absolutely Love this fork. It is the 15TA version though. I looked on the DTS site and found their current EXC 150, is only offered on 9mm qr. My fork is super plush when needed, but handles very well. I would have purchased another EXC 150, the current model is over 150g lighter than mine, which came in at 1725g, but, I do need the 15TA. Heard the models that were qr, were very flexy in technical, rocky sections of the trail.

mtbr member
    Enve wheels are just flat out better. You can change or do any kind of hub you want. Stay far away from chinese carbon wheels.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Thanks mazspeed! Yeah, I wonder if thats the main reason why Easton Hubs are so troublesome, I think someone said, they are made in China!

I going to order the ENVE wheelset end of next week. Just need to ask them some questions.

Thanks again!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Thanks mazspeed! Yeah, I wonder if thats the main reason why Easton Hubs are so troublesome, I think someone said, they are made in China!

I going to order the ENVE wheelset end of next week. Just need to ask them some questions.

Thanks again!

Kevin
    Easton rims are pretty good, but nothing is like the Enve. I'm not sure why the Easton hubs are bad, or even if they are. I have not heard, but King, Hadley, Hope, I9 are all good hubs, and if you're going to spend that kind of money, go all the way.

mtbr member
    The problem with Easton is the freehub body. It has nothing to do with the shell which is just that. The freehub needs maintenance about every three months. 5 minutes to pull apart, clean, lube and reinstall. Super simple. The Easton rim is nicer than Enve in my opinion based on a true UST wheel. No tape to mess with or sealing issues. Nothing beats Kings or DT though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The problem with Easton is the freehub body. It has nothing to do with the shell which is just that. The freehub needs maintenance about every three months. 5 minutes to pull apart, clean, lube and reinstall. Super simple. The Easton rim is nicer than Enve in my opinion based on a true UST wheel. No tape to mess with or sealing issues. Nothing beats Kings or DT though.
    I am curious how the Easton rim is nicer? You mean nicer looking, or better, because it's not better.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Customer service at ENVE is great! First e-mail took a few days for response, second third e-mail, next day response. I'm feeling allot more comfortable about ordering these wheels. I tried to contact Easton, but ZERO luck. Something is wrong with there system, but, its been like this for quite some time, their e-mail system. No matter, ENVE is my choice!

Thanks for all your input, experience, advice and insight. I really helped make this decision possible.

Kevin

I'll post picts when I get my wheels, tires, on my bike!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast