mtbr member

E-Type Derailleur on Mojo?

Has anyone been riding with a Shimano e-type front derailleur on their carbon Mojo? My thought was installing one would help eliminate any damage to the frame in the event of chain de-railment. My concerns were 1) will it fit and 2) will it be stiff enough during upshifts as there is no re-inforcement post on the Mojo like frames made for the e-type derailleurs.

One option would be to find an older version 9-speed e-type (M952E) as they used to have a carbon fiber plate as opposed to the newer aluminum version (they were lighter too).

Any e-type experience out there?
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Greetings from Ibis!
    The E-type FD is sort of a band aid you would use if you (as a frame designer) can't figure out any other way to mount a FD on your bike.
    Regarding chain damage, I wouldn't worry about that so much since the lower link and hardware (and FD) are in the first line of defense down there.

Cheers!

Hans

mtbr member
    Hans, thanks. Tom told me to e-mail you regarding this issue, so I'm glad you caught it on the forum. I didn't feel too strongly either way, so you convinced me to stick with the standard bottom-swing design.

As for the rear XTR derailleur, I increased the spring tension on the main upper pivot to help reduce frame contact in the bumpy stuff. I did this by disassembling the upper pivot and drilling a new hole about 45 degrees past the stock spring hole. Kind of a compromise between a SRAM derailleur with no forward movement and the stock Shimano.
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)