mtbr member

dw-link for RP23 CTD @HD160

It's been about 1 month with my new HD160 and love actually climbing better than my old XC-oriented bike! But I'm a bit curious...

HD came with the new CTD stuff, and from what I read on the past on a couple intense debating threads, dw-link seems to be designed to be used with open rear shock all the time (no pro-pedal thingies), so what I've done so far is just leave RP23 lever in Descend position and forget about it.

Is it trure dw-link is designed to be used all the time on open rear shock settings? So far has worked fine for me, but wondering if still can get more juice out of it.

mtbr member
    Only time I switch my rear shock from wide open is climbing on the road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Never really used mine, pro pedal that is! (2012 Rp23)

mtbr member
    I've got an SL with 2012 RP23. I leave it on full open all the time, except on tarmac. From what I understand, the CTD is a bit different though, not sure if Descend is the same as ProPedal at zero.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Open all the time except when climbing a paved hill.

mtbr member
    Most people keep it open because the dwlink is so efficient, but i use the pro pedal up hills as i need all the help i can get. ,

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Most people keep it open because the dwlink is so efficient, but i use the pro pedal up hills as i need all the help i can get. ,

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    In a recent survey suspension experts said that in that respect there is a huge difference from the US market to the European market. And indeed I used the platform a lot (am now on CCDBA though). There may also be a difference in pre 2012 RP23s without Adaptive Logic, just a thought.

See:
    Interview: The Industry?s Suspension Experts - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    I never used to adjust it (always wide open) but a guy I ride with gets off his bike and locks everything up on climbs (bottom of the fork, and near wheel - specialized brain thing) and has a trick with red/green dot sticker to make it brain simple to see where you're supposed to be (green for open decent as red would mean certain death!) as you can forget/not remember to switch.

I use the dots now and lock it up (while riding) as I too need all the help to stay with him... probably gain some efficiency, but you surely loose a lot of traction in more technical climbs, so it depends on the climbs....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

mtbr member
    I only ever used it as a crutch to compensate for a poorly tuned RP23 that blew through its travel too easily. After I added a volume reducer sleeve to increase the spring progression the propedal never got used again, and now I run a shock w no platform at all....Monarch AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Where I live I can ride out my front door, black top and fire road climbs, swoopy hardpack, fast studder, and broken cinder block. I set my 2012 RP23 with lots of sag, large volume internal reducer, and use the propedal for long smooth climbs. On rare occasions I'll hit a long enough technical climb that it's worth using compression setting 1, but that's more about the attitude of the bike than any bobbing problem.

ETA: clyde with modest legs