mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Don't demo a Mojo...

unless you want to buy one! I demoed the Ibis Mojo today and was very impressed with this bike! It pedals extremely well and can be pedalled out of the saddle w/ out propedal very well. I turned on the propedal and dropped the fork (I put the Fox 36 Talas on the front) to 130mm for the long fireroad climbs. It has a very solid feeling in the rear when climbing, and when propedal is on it feels almost like a hardtail. You can leave the propedal off, jam out of the saddle or sit...it really doesn't matter that much. Very little bob and very little waste of pedaling energy. I did quite a long ride today with smooth singetrack, steep, fast, choppy singletrack with some 4 foot drops, fireroad climbs, and it handled it all very well. The bike feels quite snappy and agile and turns very well in tight singletrack. It also feels quite plush for a 5.5 inch travel bike, especially considering how well it pedals. With the Fox 36 up front it has a perfect head angle for all around riding. It felt very capable going downhill and I could drop the fork on long climbs. For all around Socal terrain, this is definitely the best bike I've ridden with a 36 up front. I also demoed an El Rey 29er which felt better on the long fireroad climbs than the Mojo, but the Mojo still did quite well and was much more fun to descend and better on single track. I got pretty beat up descending some rough terrain at speed on the El Rey whereas the Mojo felt quite good.....the extra travel was VERY noticeable in comparison to the El Rey. As far as climbing goes, I was able to carry higher gears than my RFX, was able to ride longer, climbed faster, and didn't feel near as gassed climbing in general. On my RFX I won't go on as long of rides because I simply run out of gas, but I was able to ride fast and long on the Mojo. For Socal terrain for someone who wants a bike that climbs and descends both very well, I think a Mojo with a 36 Talas up front would be very difficult to beat.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review.

So... what color did you get?

Geritol Power

Don't demo der Mojo eh?

I have a really good Ibis dealer (Cal Coast) entirely too close to home. So far I have resisted because I'm remodeling my house. I don't have money or time to spare. If I give in to the temptation...well you know Mama would kick my arss

Hopefully soon I'll be trying one out

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    yeah, there's a dealer here right outside one of the biggest mtnbike areas in GA w/ demos in my size (almost every size, actually). i'm trying to avoid that place like the plague right now...haha...
    ride fast...take chances...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    Thanks for the review.

So... what color did you get?
    I haven't got one yet, but if I do it will be clear or guinness foam. Waiting for a few other things to play out before I decide to drop a bunch of coin on another bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

6 inch fork

When I picked up my demo it had a Fox 32 Float up front. I took it for a quick spin around my apartment complex, jumped off and rolled down a few stairs and realized I need to put my Fox 36 Talas up front to get the feel I'm looking for. I'm not sure I was supposed to do this, but what the hell. I wanted to get the feel for how I'd set it up if it were my bike. I was very impressed. For some people a 5.5 inch fork might be better, but I like the slacker head angle of a 6 inch fork which makes the bike a light, great climbing, and very capable all mountain bike w/ out lugging around a 30 plus pound pig. Very good compromise, if you want to call it that. I didn't feel like much was being compromised other than a pound or so and much improved downhill performance

boba
    Dec 2007

Ibis/Talas 36 demo.

Hi Locomoto....Very smart of you to put on your Talas 36 to demo the bike...My wife and I pick up our two Ibis's with XT kits on Monday...Mine has the Talas 36/wQR20 etc. and Jane's the Talas 32. I tend to ride steeper stuff than she does. So your review of the Ibis with the Talas was very interesting and encouraging.....Out of curiosity, how much does your RFX weigh?

About 8 years ago, we both had early RFX's and with triple clamps, heavy wheels etc, mine weighted a bit over 40lbs. 4 1/2 years ago we went with Gemini "light", a model that was produced for a year before the Prophet. With Z1 light etc, mine weights just under 35lbs. With a fox 5.0 shock it pedals not too badly but I am hoping that the Ibis w/Talas 36 will come in around 29lbs and will climb better and give me more energy after an hour and a quarter hard climb.

You seemed to be saying that with the 36, the Ibis was comparable to your RFX going down. I will be posting photos and a review in a few weeks. Bob...Vancouver Island.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bobAustin
    Hi Locomoto....Very smart of you to put on your Talas 36 to demo the bike...My wife and I pick up our two Ibis's with XT kits on Monday...Mine has the Talas 36/wQR20 etc. and Jane's the Talas 32. I tend to ride steeper stuff than she does. So your review of the Ibis with the Talas was very interesting and encouraging.....Out of curiosity, how much does your RFX weigh?

About 8 years ago, we both had early RFX's and with triple clamps, heavy wheels etc, mine weighted a bit over 40lbs. 4 1/2 years ago we went with Gemini "light", a model that was produced for a year before the Prophet. With Z1 light etc, mine weights just under 35lbs. With a fox 5.0 shock it pedals not too badly but I am hoping that the Ibis w/Talas 36 will come in around 29lbs and will climb better and give me more energy after an hour and a quarter hard climb.

You seemed to be saying that with the 36, the Ibis was comparable to your RFX going down. I will be posting photos and a review in a few weeks. Bob...Vancouver Island.
    My RFX is light at 31.5 pounds, but doesn't pedal as well as the Mojo, and feels more rear weighted. I think the RFX is a little more forgiving downhill and is definitely a burlier bike, especially w/ coil, but for my local terrain I think a Mojo w/ a 36 would be plenty capable going downhill. I just think if your rides include lots of climbing, tight singletrack, and some decent downhill, a Mojo w/ a six inch fork is a more pleasant way to spend the day as it climbs that much better and descends very well. As you can tell, I was pretty impressed with the Mojo's descending abilities with a 6 inch fork up front.

boba
    Dec 2007

31.5 lbs!.

Wow!...By our Vancouver Island standards, a 31.5 lbs RFX or anything else that we ride...is amazingly light. And to think that a Mojo w/36 will climb better than the RFX and descend quite well..Can't wait. thanks. bob.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Are you getting the regular or SL? What rear shock are you going to run?

boba
    Dec 2007

shocking question from Locomoto

Hi..In answer to your question, both bikes are Mojo Carbon w/RP23....We chose the Fox shock due to parts and warranty issues on the DT here in Canada and Fox is easy to service in Vancouver if a warranty issue arises. Also, I have had only good success with Fox shocks for years. Jane had her old Fox Pushed for her Gemini, and it was a great improvement and may do so again with the Ibis.

Jane's is in Guinness and mine is clear carbon. Hans talked us into the carbon as the wait for the SL was getting too long. They came with red linkages and ti bolt kit courtesy of Hans who suggested this. The difference in weight from an SL with RP23 and the carbon, according to Hans is 200 grams and about $300 dollars a bike. After seeing the impeccable, green, one year old Carbon on the forum, I think judicious use of some protectant will be just fine. We went with the 08 XT kit as it is great value and has terrific reviews. The QR20 Enduro wheels on mine are a work of art. Year round, West coast riding in a temporate rain forest can be hard on equipment and generally we all use XT level kit as it seems to stand up.

bob..