mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Does changing the rear shock tune/make affect DW Link design?

As above really?

My RP23 is in for a revalve and spacer kit optimised for my weight, 15st.

It got me thinking though, Ibis and DW ship the HD with a specific tune for the HD and have since read numerous things, including a post from DW I think saying that a low compression tune and rebound tune is best for DW link.

Am I detrimentally affecting the performance of the bike in what I am doing, or does it not matter so greatly because I am heavier than the average Joe it may have been tuned for?

The HD comes with a compression tune L, rebound tune L, Boost Valve 200.

It was suggested to change the shock to suit my weight and the complaint I made of the above tune bucking me around. The suggested new settings are compression tune F, rebound tune M and a spacer kit inserted. Not sure what size though, have been told I will have to experiment and can always go back to refine/change as necessary.

I suppose the same thought would apply to changing the shock to different brands, coils etc?

Am I talking nonsense?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes. DW is quite particular about tunes.
    Some tuners believe that the Low comp tune shipped with the HD is too low. And I have always found that I need to run the rebound near full closed on the RP23 on both Mojos I have owned so I personally think at near 15st myself that Med would be better.
    I currently run a MM tune RS Vivid coil simply because I think the RP23 sucks.
    I have always felt the rp23's to be poor on the Mojo (classic and HD) but some people love them.
    Depends on how you like to ride and often I believe it actually comes down to whether the owner has ridden a good DH bike or not and therefore is aware of how good coil dampers work.
    Does that make sense? If you come to an Ibis from an XC HT or another Airsprung FS bike you may not be missing anything with the stock damper. Personally I find that I expect to ride the rough stuff nearly as fast as I do on the DH bike.
    Climbing is only a means to an end for me

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    Yes. DW is quite particular about tunes.
    Some tuners believe that the Low comp tune shipped with the HD is too low. And I have always found that I need to run the rebound near full closed on the RP23 on both Mojos I have owned
    I belive the same... so a higher viscosity oil will correct both at the same time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would agree the Rebound is too little set at Low, Medium would be better. I wouldn't go to a High compression, try a Medium. You still have the RP23 to firm it up a little if you need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Does anyone know the specs for an RP23 that comes with the SL? I just bought a used shock that I plan to fit to my SL and I'm now wondering if I did the right thing???

Dropshot Champ!
    it should be Low comp and low rebound tune, with a boost valve of 225. I do believe there is something different on the inside on the ones ibis ships, not sure tho

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok cheers for the feedback. I am not a DH guy, and have never ridden one or any bike with a coil for that matter! Maybe I shouldnt!!

My riding involves a lot of steep techy climbing which I enjoy, strangely. So a decent lock is important to me.

I too think firm compression may be too much, but they seemed confident in their suggestion?

I have just collected the shock, and the compression is firm, rebound medium and boost valve appears the same??

The spacer kit has not been installed, and it has been suggested to try it when out on the trails. Anything I don't like they will readjust for me as necessary!

I believe the HD should be set at 30% sag, so will start at that.

Or more importantly, I'd best get the bike built up first!

Will feedback when it's up and running.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Medrep View Post
    My riding involves a lot of steep techy climbing which I enjoy, strangely. So a decent lock is important to me.
    Why would you want to lockout the suspension on techy climbs? Those places are the ones where you probably benefit most from the rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by peippo View Post
    Why would you want to lockout the suspension on techy climbs? Those places are the ones where you probably benefit most from the rear suspension.
    Well, I have come from a lapierre zesty which I really liked, but could never get the RP2 to my liking. Typically (when set up for overall best use) it would sit too far it's travel and would make steep climbing difficult. I used to use the lock out to help bring the angle of the bike back up, obviously to the detriment of bump apsorption.

My mate has a mojo sl and despite it being too sizes too small for me and shock pressure never set up, it felt fantastic.

The HD will be my second bike, and I'm hoping for similar results with my mates SL. I demo'd the HD which was fantastic but bucked me around everywhere.

Basically I have never owned a full sus which climbed steep techy stuff without some form of lock out.

And when I say lock out, I mean pro pedal, so still some give in the travel.

Cheers

Dropshot Champ!
    I think lapierre uses an FSR rear susp design. This sits really deep in the travel and could be why you needed to add compression dampening on tech climbs.

Welcome to the world of mojo. You won't need to touch that pro pedal.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I think lapierre uses an FSR rear susp design. This sits really deep in the travel and could be why you needed to add compression dampening on tech climbs.

Welcome to the world of mojo. You won't need to touch that pro pedal.

Enjoy
    I'm hoping so!! The HD climbed easier and more comfortably than the lapierre ever did, and that was a 140mm travel bike! It was within 5 minutes of the first steep climb during the HD demo that I knew my bank account would suffer. Hence my concern over affecting that brilliant DW design.

Cannot wait to get it built up!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quick update

Had the bike for around a good 10 hours worth of hard riding (IMO of course

I would blow through the travel on small drops and jumps, set around 30% sag, but it didn't feel a harsh bottom out, ever. There has been no bob or dive from the rear, and climbing was fantastic. The shock has been plenty active and moves easily.

However, I do feel that the back end has a slight reluctance to give up it's travel initially, unless there is a small drop or jump, then it would reach full travel.

I then tried the small spacer, and with a slight increase in psi, has now resulted in 'almost' bottoming out on similar trails.

I have now sent the shock back to try a medium compression, as the bike does seem to sit slightly pitched on steep gradients, I'll keep the small spacer in for now.

Will report back again when the shock is retuned.

I'm still sticking with trying to get the best out of the RP23!

Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

Cheers

aka dan51

Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

Cheers
    Add more air to the shock.
    30% sag is a good starting point, but your results will vary.
    I run my mojo with closer to 25% sag (maybe less), but I base it totally on how the shock is performing. Too low and the ass feels like it's dragging on climbs, too much and the ride is harsh.
    Bring a pump on your rides and make changes as you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Add more air to the shock.
    30% sag is a good starting point, but your results will vary.
    I run my mojo with closer to 25% sag (maybe less), but I base it totally on how the shock is performing. Too low and the ass feels like it's dragging on climbs, too much and the ride is harsh.
    Bring a pump on your rides and make changes as you go.
    Thanks.

The issue is that I found it was best with less psi, not more, which may have been exacerbated by the firm compression?

In my mind, I hope that a medium compression tune and rebound, with a spacer, will provide enough support to prevent bob, stop the bucking, still be plush but prevent bottoming out on 3/4 ft drops/jumps, which is the most the bike will ever see tbh. Majority of the riding will be trail/all mountain use.

I do find the whole process quite interesting in a nerdy sort of way! My mates keep taking the p**s though

aka dan51
    :

Thanks.

The issue is that I found it was best with less psi, not more, which may have been exacerbated by the firm compression?

In my mind, I hope that a medium compression tune and rebound, with a spacer, will provide enough support to prevent bob, stop the bucking, still be plush but prevent bottoming out on 3/4 ft drops/jumps, which is the most the bike will ever see tbh. Majority of the riding will be trail/all mountain use.

I do find the whole process quite interesting in a nerdy sort of way! My mates keep taking the p**s though
    Hopefully the retune will work for you.
    I would *want* my shock to bottom on the biggest thing it will ever see. If not you won't be using the shock to its fullest.
    I'm going through a similar thing with the PUSH MX Tune Vivid coil on my HD, I cannot get to to feel like I want. I can make jumps feel good, but then fast chunky stuff feels like crap. So I tune it to fast stuff and I get bucked when landing a jump. Bump absorption while climbing is continually disappointing too, along with small bump while going fast. I'm ready to give up and just stick with it somewhere in between, or get something else... xfusion Vector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".