mtbr member

Do You Trail Brake?

I am putting this on the ibis forum cuz I know you guys know how to ride and since Yody , das recht have similar experience road racing motorcycles, where trail braking (front brake) to the apex is very valuable in some corners. Most of the hard braking is done straight up and down, but you trail the front brake 5% to 20% pending on the corner. This helps tighten your line by making the steering angle steeper and puts more weight on the front.

Just curious as I find myself doing this more and more, obviously to key is not to overwhelm available traction. For better or worse, I don't use the rear brake nearly as hard, works pretty good as a rudder

Thoughts??

mtbr member
    I do not trail brake with the front, only the rear which may or may not be trail braking based on your point of view.

www.derbyrims.com
    Sure, it puts more weight on the front tire for more grip where it would be lacking, unless going slower coasting into a corner. Yes, both wheels, more front going into most faster turns and trailing off, and as much rear as traction can hold which adds grip to the front too, trailing off both brakes. Sometime past the peak of a berm for a slower exit. Only there are no apexes on single track.

mtbr member
    Derby, you must ride exclusively on 2.35" wide trails....

Mtb Guide
    I find I do on hardpack fast corners like hard berms where speed is not affected, but need more grip to prevent wash out I drive my front ends pretty hard, another reason I dont like wimpy dampening front ends, most of the time I never even think about it I improvise it by feel on the trail, most of the time I trust my tires new HR2 is working well now

mtbr member
    short answer is i use body weight more than brakes to make the bike turn. mtn bikes turn easilym they dont weigh 400 pounds. you dont really need to load the suspension to make it turn. you load the suspension to get traction. and you do this with your body weight and position.

in super fast decreasing radius berms. ill trail the rear brake a lil to slow her down a lil to keep the bike on track but its ways faster and better to be OFF the brakes and use your body to leep the bike tracking.