mtbr member
    May 2011

Do you carry a full face? Which one?

I think I've become soft (or smarter?) in my old age. (I'm 27.) In my opinion, the HD is not an all mountain bike. It's a fast climbing downhill bike. In fact, my HD is faster in the DH park on all but the gnarliest trails. That reality, combined with the fact that most of my ride profiles look something like this...:
    Do you carry a full face? Which one?-picture-1.jpg
    ...begs the question: Should I really ride 10 mile, 4000 foot descents as fast as I can without a full face helmet? I think not. I already pad up head to toe with g-form pads for all of my "x-country" rides. They've proved their worth multiple times in just one season. My last minute decision to wear the FF at the bell-wassatch enduro might have been one of the best calls i've ever made on anything!

Some of my riding buddies are starting to see the light, too. They carry knee and elbow pads etc. But, most of them think that I'm going overboard and love to give me $hit when I say, "Wait, I've got to suit up" at the top of the hill. Still, the bottom line is this: I love mountain biking way to much to be out with an injury, so full face x-country helmet, here i come!

The question is, which do I choose? I thought about hybrids like the met parachute and urge archie enduro. But they are over priced, hard to find in the US and geeky as all hell. Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the POC cortex flow and specialized dissident. I want something that won't make my back hurt when it's strapped to my pack on a three hour climb, is ventilated enough to stay on my head during mini climbs, and provides enough visibility to not feel like its giving me tunnel vision on low speed, techy sections.

Do you carry a FF when riding your all mountain bike? If so, which one?

Off the back...
    I picked up a 661 carbon FF helmet on clearance. Light, fits great, doesn't make me look like I'm in Spaceballs. The Kali carbon FF was nice too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I use the POC, and also have a Kali. The POC breathes 100% better, you dont feel like you're rebreathing air.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    TLD Carbon D3 - use it for dh and when I want to strap it to my back for a long trail climb that has a gnarly (or super fast) descent. Super light and tons of venting. I have trouble using anything on the uphill though so wear my half lid and then switch at the top.

Mtb Guide
    I also run a D3, the new Bells [Full 9] are really impressing me with the quality, Im not overly impressed with the padding of the D3 especially at the front brow, it is very hard here and gets worst as it builds up sweat, it does breath well when riding down, I do like the designs fit for neck braces, something that other Helmet manufactures seem to have neglected this is a biggie for me.

Im not convinced on riding with riding 2 Helmets though, seems counter productive and potentially an injury risk, I don't have any personal experience with injuries while carrying a helmet on my back, but I have read of situations where an XC helmet while on someones back has cause injury riding down.

Also not a fan of in between FF XC style seems to me it would present a false sense of security, fine for riders still progressing normal skills but not advanced riders even just riding at pace that you would normally say run in DH.

For me riding long distance and technical extremes comes down to rider decisions, making good risk assessment which is always the hardest part in MTB, often you know you have the skills ability but situations can conspire against you.

I would rather back off some and ride those rides pure all mountain or Enduro with an open face but take it a bit easier not relaxed just back off full pace I might ride in a Full Face etc, the difference may not be allot, still would run knee pads though, like jumps I will still go pretty big in an open face if I know the terrain jumps style quality etc, new stuff though if Im trying it out and Im in doubt, I will come back with a FF etc.

If regularly riding in those areas maybe Id wear a Full Face, its a hard one.