mtbr member

disk tabs on ibis silk ti?

I've found one person who has done this but has anybody else?

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...Q.9@.efbdfb5/0

I'm thinking about doing it but I would really like some feedback on performance. What happened under full compression to the disk brakes?

I've sent and email to Mr. Pivotless and I think I'm going to be asking Strong about doing this work on my frame too. Anybody have another builder doing this type of thing? Seven, Litespeed and IF don't mention it on their website.

Thanks.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

you're headed in the right direction...

You did the right thing in asking John C. what he thinks of a IS disc tab retrofit. See what he says and go from there.

i really think that going with Carl is also a good choice, his work is top notch, nothing better. If Castellano gives a thumbs up, and you really want a rear tab, go for it!!!

I just built up a Fango for a buddy of mine, just a freakin' awesome frame....UNBELIEVEABLE ride!!!

Hey, ask John when he's gonna start up the Ti Fango frames! I'd sell my 03 Dean Duke in a minute!!!

Cheers!

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

spoke to Mr. Pivotless(John Castellano) ...

about having disc tabs done on a Silk Ti (I've been looking for one). He said that he has done stress analysis on the type of tabs that Carl stong has done. He stated that the frame's stays weren't to happy with the amount of acute stress put on the frame by the small tabs like the one picture below.

He did say that a disc tab like the ones on the current Fangos would work much better. They run wider along the stays, spreading force along a greater area, instead of concentrating it in a smaller area like the small, minimalistic tabs would. That reasoning makes total sense to me. He may also start doing tab retrofits on Silk Ti frame in house, so email him if interested.

I just wanted to post this so it's in the archives for others to read. It'll try to get a pic of the Fango IS tabs off my buddy's ride. It's one of the beefiest I've seen out there.

Also, John Castellano may make another batch of Silk Ti frames. He'll make the decision in about 3 months, so if you think you'd like one, email him!!! It won't be cheap though.

Cheers!

Just some dude.
    Jan 2004

Older style tabs

The photo of the two individual tabs is an older style mount which we are not using anymore due to exactly the reasons stated by JC. We now have a much better mount which spreads the load out over a greater area. It may not be quite as long as the Fango mount, which as I recall goes up the stay quite a bit from the front mount. If JC has some of the Fango style mounts made, your best bet would be to have him do the retrofit.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    He did say that a disc tab like the ones on the current Fangos would work much better. They run wider along the stays, spreading force along a greater area, instead of concentrating it in a smaller area like the small, minimalistic tabs would. That reasoning makes total sense to me. He may also start doing tab retrofits on Silk Ti frame in house, so email him if interested.

I just wanted to post this so it's in the archives for others to read. It'll try to get a pic of the Fango IS tabs off my buddy's ride. It's one of the beefiest I've seen out there.

Also, John Castellano may make another batch of Silk Ti frames. He'll make the decision in about 3 months, so if you think you'd like one, email him!!! It won't be cheap though.

Cheers!
    I emailed him also and I haven't had time to respond to this thread. I'm probably going to wait and buy the "new" silk ti with disk tabs when it comes out. Next fall would be perfect for me and that's probably the time they'll be available. I mentioned wanting a longer top-tube and he said that the new bikes will probably have a longer top tube. He also mentioned that custom orders are possible and that is something I'm going to really consider if I'm not happy with the top tube length on the new bike. I want my small SIlk ti with about .25" longer top tube. I may even consider getting one made with a 100mm front if it's not available standard and it's available in a custom bike.